First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
When women say they want to be treated as equals...
78672 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Northeast
Offline
Posted 6/23/14
Given the course of human progression, we are improving ourselves. In this, take heart.

You will not see conclusion to any major issues in this lifetime. Abortion, poverty, feminism, so on and so forth will continue to progress long after we log onto crunchyroll to talk about it. I take this view: be sensible, be reasonable, and do what you can to push the needle forwards. Try not to get bitter in the process.
13071 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / New Hampshire
Offline
Posted 6/23/14


Recovery could definitely vary from woman to woman. Though I could definitely see some sort of compromise from the government. A woman can be given more time than is necessary to recover (just a little) to set up her new home life if men are also allowed the option of a similar time frame when their wife/girlfriend is about to/has given birth. After all men play a role in it all too. This is tricky since a man could easily use the time frame for selfish purposes and not do what he's supposed to be doing with it, but I'm just talking ideals here. I mean, a woman could also waste that time, I just find it less likely since they'll probably still be recovering from birth (I guess unless they abandon the baby or something, idk.)

Chivalry? The technical term for that is some old knight's code from medieval times. I assume that's not what you're referring to, though. What definition are you aiming for?
24570 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Baltimore, MD
Offline
Posted 6/23/14 , edited 6/23/14
I think a lot of people mix up equality with sameness. We obviously want equality under the law. We want equal enforcement of the law between men & women. We want women to have the same opportunities as men in the work force and to be paid the same for the same job. We want men to not be treated as superior to women.

That said, we should not strive for sameness. A man can not give birth to a child. Women are (on average) physically weaker than men. These aren't sexist to point out, but biological facts which we should cherish and celebrate. We all have different roles and different abilities. This isn't a bad thing. I can't do all the things my wife can do and vice versa.
9805 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Johnstown, PA, USA
Offline
Posted 6/23/14 , edited 6/23/14

leolachante wrote:

Recovery could definitely vary from woman to woman. Though I could definitely see some sort of compromise from the government. A woman can be given more time than is necessary to recover (just a little) to set up her new home life if men are also allowed the option of a similar time frame when their wife/girlfriend is about to/has given birth. After all men play a role in it all too. This is tricky since a man could easily use the time frame for selfish purposes and not do what he's supposed to be doing with it, but I'm just talking ideals here. I mean, a woman could also waste that time, I just find it less likely since they'll probably still be recovering from birth (I guess unless they abandon the baby or something, idk.)

Chivalry? The technical term for that is some old knight's code from medieval times. I assume that's not what you're referring to, though. What definition are you aiming for?


Chivalry and the actual knights of history have little in common, save for it having had been women from well-to-do families and royalty who were treated with "chivalry." In reality, knights were, more often than not, pompous nobles who enjoyed their fair share of rape, slaughter, pillaging, and the other perks that came with their status. The idea of "knights in shining armor" was made up for fluffy stories and propaganda. Sadly, the nasty side of knighthood is often forgotten and/or ignored in favor of the more child and romance-friendly version.

I don't often get to talk about knights, so I apologize for randomly discussing it.
12127 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / Beyond the Boundary
Offline
Posted 6/23/14
Well it depends on what you call a feminist. They are some feminist who want equal pay, and to be treated with the same respect as men. To be honest a lot more men look down on women than women look down on men. Then there are the "feminists" who are extremist who believe wearing a blue shirt instead of a pink shirt is sexist. I don't think feminist are bad and I support them but I don't agree with the extremist. I believe you're anger is more with the extremist...
13071 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / New Hampshire
Offline
Posted 6/23/14

aeb0717 wrote:


leolachante wrote:

Recovery could definitely vary from woman to woman. Though I could definitely see some sort of compromise from the government. A woman can be given more time than is necessary to recover (just a little) to set up her new home life if men are also allowed the option of a similar time frame when their wife/girlfriend is about to/has given birth. After all men play a role in it all too. This is tricky since a man could easily use the time frame for selfish purposes and not do what he's supposed to be doing with it, but I'm just talking ideals here. I mean, a woman could also waste that time, I just find it less likely since they'll probably still be recovering from birth (I guess unless they abandon the baby or something, idk.)

Chivalry? The technical term for that is some old knight's code from medieval times. I assume that's not what you're referring to, though. What definition are you aiming for?


Chivalry and the actual knights of history have little in common, save for it having had been women from well-to-do families and royalty who were treated with "chivalry." In reality, knights were, more often than not, pompous nobles who enjoyed their fair share of rape, slaughter, pillaging, and the other perks that came with their status. The idea of "knights in shining armor" was made up for fluffy stories and propaganda. Sadly, the nasty side of knighthood is often forgotten and/or ignored in favor of the more child and romance-friendly version.

I don't often get to talk about knights, so I apologize for randomly discussing it.


I am more than well aware of all this, but thank you for the explanation. Technically chivalry has to do with a knight's code, not only regarding women (in fact little of it had to do with women) but also bravery, loyalty, etc, etc.

But I'm trying to figure out what OP is asking me since knighthood is no longer a common problem in today's world.
Arcsol 
5120 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 6/23/14
Honestly I treat them equally, though most of my friends are girls and I grew up with girls as well so that's how its always been for me.

In the end its usually guys that get on my nerves, though most of them in this town are the stereotypical type that give the rest of us a bad name.
12453 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F
Offline
Posted 6/23/14
Mmm. I see what you are saying. I am a feminist, and I don't really see any problem with it. Of course, equality does not exist in nature, but still, we should aim for it. As for chivalry or whatever, I am a woman but I always open doors for both men and women. Gallantry doesn't have to be determined by sex.

I guess feminism for me means that things that are traditionally for women are seen as equal to things for men. So it's not about this random man or this random woman you might pick out on the street. That means that child rearing, fighting wars, arranging flowers, banking, all of that are seen as equally important or appropriate for any person. Unfortunately, a lot of traditional women's work is seen as less distinguished or good than things that are traditionally for me. There are three big negatives to this. One is the one that feminists constantly talk about, how women are unequal and how unfair it is. That is a valid concern, but I think the other two negatives are more interesting. The first is that a lot of the things women have traditional done are important and valuable, but are being forgotten because they do not offer the same social and economic rewards as things traditionally done by men, so women are not choosing them. And two, men who are interested in things traditionally done by women face stigma and economic hardship. For example, my cousin who would probably like to be a stay at home dad has difficulty doing so for various reasons.

I think what gets lost most often in common feminist discourse on the web etc, is that feminism, despite its name, is for everyone, men and women. It means everyone gets more choice in how they live their lives, and those choices are universally respectable.
Posted 6/23/14 , edited 6/23/14

P.S. Guys, do you think you treat women equally? If not, do you treat them better or worse than you do other guys?


I think I treat them pretty much the same. Obviously, if I know them well enough I'll treat them more casually, which again I don't think is all that different from how I treat guys. Though I maybe objectifying some of them by noticing attractive ones, and the ones that like to run around in short shorts who may or may not have text on across their butts.:P


https://news.uns.purdue.edu/html4ever/2004/041213.Goodwin.gender.html
Posted 6/23/14 , edited 6/23/14
God that was so much to freaking read. Anyway.


demongurrl13 wrote:
Older women and pregnant women will no longer be more entitled to a seat in a bus than an older man or a man carrying a ton of groceries.

I agree with everything you said up til this. A pregnant lady is given priority cause you know, she's pregnant. That shit is a pain to carry around after a certain amount of time and I think they should be prioritized because it's not exactly easy when they have have to deal with a bloated stomach. It's not priority cause they're a woman, since some women can't get pregnant and not everyone is pregnant at the same time, so it's just on the condition that they're far along. Also, where I'm from, all elderly people are prioritized when it comes to seats. Equality does not mean dropping being polite or being thoughtful of someone who may need help.


demongurrl13 wrote:
So, what about you, what do you think?

For the most part, I agree. Just that if women really wanted equality that we'd all suddenly drop being polite or some shit just because of 'equality.' Equality does not mean being mean to people who clearly need a priority in a certain situation. I find it really odd that people default to this position when we talk of equality. Why is people's imagery of equality people being so against helping others out?

Women and men have advantages in different situations. Women have the privilege of being able to dress masculine and so without facing much persecution, unlike men who would more likely be violently attacked if they wore a skirt and so on because men still have strict gender roles. While men seem to have more advantages business wise. (More likely to be picked in certain fields and more likely to be promoted.) Women have advantages in a few fields though. (Teaching for young children, the field of psychology is actually dominated by women, those are some examples.) Just depends.

There's still work that needs to be done for better equality on both sides, but just because we've come a long way doesn't mean we should stop. I think it's important to keep striving for improvement.


demongurrl13 wrote:
P.S. Guys, do you think you treat women equally? If not, do you treat them better or worse than you do other guys?


I try to treat everyone the same. No one has complained to me that I've played favorites, so..
Posted 6/23/14

leolachante wrote:

Chivalry? The technical term for that is some old knight's code from medieval times. I assume that's not what you're referring to, though. What definition are you aiming for?


Well, I'm using it in the modern sense referring to how guy must be courteous and respectful to women. The code that tells them to open doors and pay for dinner and refrain from being rude and give us compliments and basically to put us ahead of themselves at all times.
18608 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/23/14 , edited 6/23/14
I don't think it really matters.

The way people treat women and they way they treat men are equal forms of respect, just different.

That said, I wouldn't mind being treated like a woman every now and then.
33377 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Socal
Online
Posted 6/23/14

leolachante wrote:

Some things regarding pregnancy you stated I disagree with. After all a woman goes on maternity leave not merely to prepare for the child but because her body isn't capable of as much work. But as for drafting, punishment, domestic violence charges, and special treatment I will proudly proclaim that yes, if it means equal treatment for all, I want those for women. I am a feminist, a TRUE feminist I would like to believe, in that I want both the bad and the good that comes in equality for women.


This made me smile, in a good way.

That would be true equality




P.S. Guys, do you think you treat women equally? If not, do you treat them better or worse than you do other guys?

I'd like to think better, I mean I try to be nicer. (I'm shy so sometimes I feel that comes off as mean)

Unless they're a bitch, then nope.
Vodash 
7657 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 6/23/14
I'm all for what the feminist movement is supposed to be (i.e. equality for women), but it's the hypocritical, radical feminists that give feminism a bad name.
20695 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Kansas
Offline
Posted 6/23/14
Obviously pregnant women should be given whatever accommodations are necessary. This is in no way a gender issue as their being a woman is not the factoring criteria. While ludicrous, I posit that a man would be accommodated during this condition were it to somehow fall upon him.
However, while pregnancy should be accomodated for, gender should not.
A woman should be allowed to do all things a man can do (ie military), IF she can do so while performing at the same level and with the same expectations as a man.
Similary, men should be allowed to do the same things as women... I still remember how upset I was in 6th grade when I tried to take home ec., but they wouldn't let me cos I was a boy.
Oh, and I personally try to hold open doors for both men and women. That's just courtesy.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.