First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Why don't people understand that opinion =/= fact?
45489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 6/28/14

trmjkd989 wrote:

I was browsing YouTube earlier when I came across some lengthy chain comments on videos where people were arguing on which bands suck or don't suck.This isn't anything new for YouTube, but it made me wonder...

Why can't people understand


Why can't you stop making generalizations because of YouTube? Why?
1687 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/28/14
Welcome to the internet. There are the weirdos, Otakus such as us, girly peeps and others.
There's also one that we should just never care about The Annoying Trolls.
46382 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Sweden
Online
Posted 6/28/14
People can't connect to another person over the internet in the same way as they would if they were talking face to face... And hence people will just give out their own opinions and ignore everything people whit other opinions say.
31766 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / The Raggedy Edge
Offline
Posted 6/28/14 , edited 6/28/14
「Why don't people understand that opinion =/= fact?」

The overall reason as to why is complicated, and is ultimately tied to the way human beings innately are. Although, I guess it could be fun if I can actually write a coherent breakdown of this, without just gibbering inanely.

From when we're born up until we're dead set in our ways in terms of our personal values, what is picked up between the time of the former and the latter will differ and sometimes to an extreme from person to person. However, we also as a socially competitive species (anthropologically speaking), seek out groups that reflect our values and attack or ignore the values of other groups.

As to why, however, people tend not to understand that opinion =/= fact is far simpler overall; people like a thread of certainty in a myriad of (usually) irrelevant things, and rarely like to be wrong, in the same way they don't like to lose, or feel stupid.

So, for their opinion to be wrong they must require if not desire to change and also have lost and be stupid.

At least that's how I've always seen it, and I might well be wrong. That's alright though, because being wrong about something is fine, so long as you're strong enough to change as to be right.
757 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Twin Cities, Minn...
Offline
Posted 6/28/14
Some people just can't stand the fact others don't share their opinion.
14128 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27
Offline
Posted 6/28/14
They do understand it but they are just trolling you. Example: Fact: Code geass is bad. How can anybody think it is good? I just stated my opinion but stated as a fact as sort of a screw you code geass fans.
Sogno- 
45682 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 6/28/14

haikinka wrote:

Shut up You're wrong.


no you're wrong & i'm righter than you
6607 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/28/14
Probably because they feel insecure or something. Almost anyone can comment on Youtube or other Social Media Websites. This includes people with antisocial behavior. And when the worst kinds of people are given a voice, they scream the loudest and attempt to silence everyone else.
1920 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
102 / Candyland
Offline
Posted 6/28/14
I think it's the fact that they don't like being told their wrong or maybe have to apologize. They use anger to cover up that fact or try to get the "last words." I don't see what's so hard about that but you know.
18153 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Gravity Falls
Offline
Posted 6/28/14 , edited 6/28/14
Why don't people unstand that opinio =/= fact?

Well let's see hmmm maybe because thats who we are as humans, there's no real reason to why we argue or disagree with someones fact/opinion to whatever topic is being discussed.

Take me, for instance, I do it all the time because lots of people, mostly adolescent teens, are unaware of certain things they see on the internet like youtube; for example, when someone posts a music video of their favorite artist or band the next thing they do is read the comments below.

As their reading the comments, they notice a lot of negative feedback from lots of the viewers. At this point, some people might ignore it in order to avoid a conflict from it but others who don't avoid it tend to start these arguments to the point being they either agree or disagree with each others own opinion.

Now I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but what I am saying is true due to common character traits in most humans. Its not a given fact/opinion, the possibility anyone of you that've done in the past years should realize this. Because you could agree with what I am telling you is true, you could also disagree with what I am telling you, so you dont feel wrong to whatever you believe is true or not in your opinion. I don't really care what believe in just understand about how you should react to someones negative feedback, so you don't take it personal.

5727 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19
Offline
Posted 6/28/14
Unfortunately, if you share your opinion over the internet -no matter what it is- you will be attacked for it. Even if that opinion isn't harmful towards anyone or anything. I just ignore people's comments that are attacking me for having an opinion. I will still post my opinions because I would like to share. Haters ain't stoppin' me.
18014 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / USA
Offline
Posted 6/28/14 , edited 6/28/14

Phersu wrote:


trmjkd989 wrote:

I was browsing YouTube earlier when I came across some lengthy chain comments on videos where people were arguing on which bands suck or don't suck.This isn't anything new for YouTube, but it made me wonder...

Why can't people understand


Why can't you stop making generalizations because of YouTube? Why?

YouTube isn't the only place where I experience this. I thought that was common sense, but you're the only one that didn't get the memo. Why?

Btw, what you quoted literally said nothing about me viewing YouTube as a representative of humanity as a whole. Still waiting.
tenltd 
13236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 6/28/14 , edited 6/28/14
People just get really defensive of what they like sometimes. So they just flip out when someone has a differing opinion from them.
18014 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / USA
Offline
Posted 6/28/14

Angerudusto wrote:

Probably because they feel insecure or something. Almost anyone can comment on Youtube or other Social Media Websites. This includes people with antisocial behavior. And when the worst kinds of people are given a voice, they scream the loudest and attempt to silence everyone else.


I've noticed this as well when it comes to anti-social people. The internet is the perfect place for them to show their true colors that they normally wouldn't irl.

18014 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / USA
Offline
Posted 6/28/14

TheObserverRequiem020 wroteThat's alright though, because being wrong about something is fine, so long as you're strong enough to change as to be right.


Nicely put. I think being wrong or failing is necessary to help us grow. You learn a lot more from the occasional failure than you do if you're right 24/7.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.