First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Why don't people understand that opinion =/= fact?
72836 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Central KY.
Offline
Posted 6/28/14
Hardheadedness. Buuuuuut, I digress...
36527 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 6/28/14

NekobasuRider wrote:

My brother and I were talking about this earlier. We asked the question:
Why do people argue and get angry when someone insults something they enjoy?

We came to the conclusion that by insulting something you like, they're indirectly insulting you. They're suggesting that you have bad taste, that your thoughts are invalid, that you're ignorant, etc. And then you feel the urge to defend not the show, music, or whatever, but yourself. The argument quickly changes from, "No, that show is actually awesome, and here's why," to, "No, I do know what I'm talking about here, I do have good taste, I'm not stupid for liking this thing, and here's why YOU'RE wrong!"

In our minds, it does become a matter of right and wrong, and that's true for everything from morals, to opinions, to even laws. We come up with clear criteria for why something is good or bad. In the case of entertainment: "They suck at playing their instruments live (yet beloved pop stars all over the world can't play a thing.)" "Their singing is altered by computers (yet people like Vocaloids)." "The humour is just goofy and stupid (yet thousands laugh out loud watching it)."
And so on...




It can be that, but also this: When people hear/read criticism about something or someone they love, they take it personal because of their emotional attachment to whatever it is they really like/love that is being criticized.
4619 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Hemet, California
Offline
Posted 6/28/14
Cause most people as a whole are simply ignorant assholes who think that they have better taste than everyone else around them.
26821 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Chicago, IL
Offline
Posted 6/28/14 , edited 6/28/14

EnigmaticFrenzyy wrote:

most people I come across on youtube and other places tend to be morons who haven't got their own chain of thought.


I would say the same thing. It's best to let them argue, and don't butt in.
Posted 6/28/14
Its not just you tube..its like that here on CR too. When you respond to a forum post on CR where someone asks.."what do you think about..." or "In your opinion..." and you give your opinion/thoughts it should be understood its not open for debate.

The bottom line..and to answer your question is that there will always be narcissist who just can't resist pointing out just how wrong other opinions/thoughts are, it gives them a reason for living.
4285 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / U.S.
Offline
Posted 6/28/14
It gives people a sense of satisfaction thinking that their taste/preference/opinion is superior to another's. This stems from a plethora of insecurities and deep seeded issues that we cannot begin to understand. Online, respect for others seems to disappear as if the individuals being discredited aren''t human like the rest of us. It isn't something to be upset about. It is difficult to understand others simply through an exchange of a few words and that is something that won't ever change.
16302 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Ames, Iowa, USA
Offline
Posted 6/28/14
Because the Internet allows a massive amount of people with similar beliefs to find and interact with each other. It's a misconception because often times people only tend to associate with those with similar beliefs, so it appears as if their belief is the majority.
4285 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / U.S.
Offline
Posted 6/28/14 , edited 6/28/14

SaintJames012 wrote:

Because the Internet allows a massive amount of people with similar beliefs to find and interact with each other. It's a misconception because often times people only tend to associate with those with similar beliefs, so it appears as if their belief is the majority.


Very True.
16302 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Ames, Iowa, USA
Offline
Posted 6/28/14

ImpureThoughts wrote:


SaintJames012 wrote:

Because the Internet allows a massive amount of people with similar beliefs to find and interact with each other. It's a misconception because often times people only tend to associate with those with similar beliefs, so it appears as if their belief is the majority.


Very True.


Indeed, it especially sucks if you are in the minority to these people and get completely bombarded with hate, but that's the internet for you
7678 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 6/28/14
You should stay away from MyAnimeList forums than...
4285 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / U.S.
Offline
Posted 6/28/14
The day we have true freedom of expression will be a sight to behold!
42 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F
Offline
Posted 6/28/14 , edited 6/28/14

ImpureThoughts wrote:

The day we have true freedom of expression will be a sight to behold!


Don't hold your breath on that one.
8425 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Honnouji academy
Offline
Posted 6/29/14 , edited 6/29/14
People arguing on a youtube comment page ? Call the local news channel !
54605 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / 米国
Offline
Posted 6/29/14
Because people are ignorance and they think that their opinion are better and superior that yours.... but hey we talking about youtube here

-Mastergold
12271 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Anime world...
Offline
Posted 6/30/14
I know right.

An opinion is an opinion. It's not a fact.

You like something?
Good for you.

You like something else?
Good for you too.

There shouldn't be a judgement where people scream out, YOU ARE WRONG FOR LIKING (fill in the blank).

It's just an opinion, people.

But you know people.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.