First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply Why are you an anti-feminist
Posted 7/3/14 , edited 6/5/15

Frenzify wrote:

Do you support women having equal rights? You're a feminist.

So many people misinterpret feminism as basically crazy women who hate men and want them all to dissappear off the face of the earth. Well, that's like saying all Muslims are terrorists. There are different types of feminism and as with so many things, it's the loud minority that gets the most attention. So, I'm more than happy to identify as a feminist and am not anti-feminist.

^
Oh my god, thank you! I swear people who are anti-feminist don't understand this at all.

There are all sorts of feminism and feminists. They all have a common goal but they can all focus on certain issues that are more important to them like say, women of color focusing on the racialized misogyny they face, or trans women focusing on how out of every other gender and sexual orientation of the LGBT+ they have the highest murder rate (even more so if they're women of color, specifically black) and their experiences with transphobia and transmisogyny.

Also, location does matter. "First world" feminists are going to focus on different issues than "third world" feminists. But both deal with the same issues like rape, reproductive rights, and human sex trafficking.

What anti-feminists (whether they realize they're this or not; and yes this includes the people who say "I'm pro-equality not feminism" or "I support feminism but not when they use words I don't understand like 'patriarchy' or don't support MRA's") see as feminism is an exaggerated, caricaturization of feminism. If they'd actually take the time to research feminism and not just blindly spew hate (thinly veiled or not) they'd realize how silly they look.
40021 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / HI
Online
Posted 7/3/14
Incoming large scale global arguments
20695 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Kansas
Offline
Posted 7/3/14
I do not disagree completely with OP. In fact, I was just discussing the other day how I find it appalling that fathers generally have no say regarding abortion. That is just one example of where I disagree with extreme feminist thought.
HOWEVER, I find the idea of identifying as "anti-feminist" to be troubling. You are posturing yourself as an opposing extremist with those words. You may be well-intentioned, but I would try to have a little less zeal when discussing such topics. "Equality" is a delicate balance.
I mean, who read that article about women not being allowed in international video game championships? Apparently, they quickly changed their minds, but that's still a clear example of the importance of feminism. And if you acknowledge that some feminism is good, don't call yourself "anti-feminist".
Posted 7/3/14 , edited 7/3/14


What anti-feminists (whether they realize they're this or not; and yes this includes the people who say "I'm pro-equality not feminism" or "I support feminism but not when they use words I don't understand like 'patriarchy' or don't support MRA's") see as feminism is an exaggerated, caricaturization of feminism. If they'd actually take the time to research feminism and not just blindly spew hate (thinly veiled or not) they'd realize how silly they look.


That's what happens when you let extremists control the message and the danger of being too caustic. Some where along the line anti-feminists were probably exposed to one of the extremist or another influental person with misconceptions and got the wrong idea, and as they say first impression are hard to fix. Of course some of them could just be misogynists. It's not an excuse, but I think it's part of it. Let's be honest if someone doesn't have a personal interest they probably are not going to do much in the way of research.

When so many people equate feminist with man hater, the message is getting twisted somewhere. I've already seen the word feminazi mentioned in this thread, as well as the past ones. Not to side track the conversation, but the same things is happen to conservatives, they let evangelicals and the tea party take over, now people outside their group assume they are all misogynists and racists.

Btw the U.S Navy just appointed their first female four star admiral in the Navy's 238 year history.
11532 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 7/3/14 , edited 7/3/14
Surely MRA is valid and not as many of these Tumblr feminists identify it as a group of misogynists. You just have to look at urban dictionary definitions to see what the opinion of MRA is.

MRA is important for things like Female on Male rape, 5% of the male population have admitted to being raped by a Female, the number is probably higher, but because of archaic gender stereotypes: women being weak and victims, males always wanting sex etc. There is little if any Female on Male rape laws in most countries. I know that the most publicized cases in the USA have been under Sexual Abuse rather than Rape.

Quite a lot of feminists (not saying the majority) but primarily made up of the new generation, don't realise that equality isn't a scale that you add a weight to either side to balance. It's a puzzle with pieces missing across the board. Yes the majority of the pieces are missing from the Female side but we should at least acknowledge all the problems.
153 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24
Offline
Posted 7/3/14 , edited 6/5/15

JollyClaret wrote:

MRA is important for things like Female on Male rape, 5% of the male population have admitted to being raped by a Female, the number is probably higher, but because of archaic gender stereotypes: women being weak and victims, males always wanting sex etc. There is little if any Female on Male rape laws in most countries. I know that the most publicized cases in the USA have been under Sexual Abuse rather than Rape.
.


feminists care about these issues too, feminism is largely about taking down these stereotypes you mention. for both women AND men. Getting help for both.
757 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Twin Cities, Minn...
Offline
Posted 7/3/14 , edited 7/3/14
I'm a feminist because I support equality. A lot of people seem to have a misconception on what feminism is.
12297 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 7/3/14
Women have a disadvantage in most aspects. They are physically weaker. They carry children and it's painful and inconvenient especially if they don't actually want a child. Then if they accidentally get pregnant they are hated by people for aborting etc. They make less money than men on average by a wide margin… Women have it pretty rough if you ask me.

(Also, I don't approve of abortion personally on an emotional level. But I approve of it as a medical practice and cleanliness necessity and don't judge women who do it.)

I feel that equal pay would go a loooonnngg way in correcting a lot of inequality factors.

But that ultimately wouldn't satisfy some feminist's thirsts for male blood. lol
There are definitely some crazy people on both sides.

Some guys that think they have a god given right to women's bodies, and there women who think all men are desire driven pigs that don't deserve shit.

But the thing is I AM totally desire driven. And that's okay! Testosterone does things to me that I like. And I'm not apologetic for it. I've never hit a woman, nor emotionally abused one, nor have I cheated on one. But I get hard-ons when I see girls I'm attracted to and I instantly start thinking about how to get their number. And I'll never be ashamed of that EVER. When a girl turns me down it doesn't mean she's a slut or I'm a loser.
It just means I got turned down and it's time to keep finding more pretty girls to look at and talk to!

7862 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / New Jersey
Offline
Posted 7/3/14
I'm for what true feminism is supposed to stand for, equal rights and treatment for all, not this radical stupid crap and those who are like that usually are the loudest so they garner the most attention. The internet just made it seem a lot worse than it really is because its a place where all these nutjobs can come together and shove their ideals down our throats, so no I'm not anti-feminist, more along the lines of anti-internet feminism, you know the kind of garbage that runs rampant on tumblr.
1920 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
102 / Candyland
Offline
Posted 7/3/14 , edited 6/5/15
o_______o What have some of you guys read and thought that feminism was about hating men?

Look, those were NOT feminists to those that hate men and look down on them. That's called misandry. That word has lost its meaning because of """"feminazis"""" and people not taking the time to even look up the word or worried about their "reputation" to be looked down if they say they are one. I have to say no, I am not an anti-feminist. I feel bad knowing that females get shorter pay then men or that the laws aren't the same for both genders.

If you think, treat, and want women to be treated equally then you are feminist. It doesn't even have to be about women. I have seen feminists that wonder why is it okay in certain things in society it's okay for them to do something but not for males as well.
8782 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/3/14 , edited 7/4/14


Fun fact about anti-feminist, We don't care in the least for what feminist say they think about or stand behind because push comes to shove they are not acting up to those believes.


A misconception about anti-feminist is that we are against the root ideas of feminism. We are against what misandrist can get away with by hiding under the banner of feminism.


zebrathinker wrote:


feminists care about these issues too, feminism is largely about taking down these stereotypes you mention. for both women AND men. Getting help for both.


Then why do it under a a gender specific banner that has such a horrible reputation for doing the opposite.
Posted 7/3/14
^The problem with generalization. It really depends on who you are talking about, you can't blame an entire group for the actions of a few, both side seem to have trouble with this.
45489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 7/3/14
The horrible thing is....I don't really care about feminism, misogyny, misandry, or any of that jazz. I treat everyone the same. Too annoying and troublesome to do anything else.
757 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Twin Cities, Minn...
Offline
Posted 7/3/14

sheepys wrote:


Exerorg wrote:

I'm a feminist because I support equality. A lot of people seem to have a misconception on what feminism is.


Ya, that is true, misguided morons still think they are for equality. despite their actions proving otherwise.


fem·i·nism
ˈfeməˌnizəm
noun
the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men.

I'm a feminist by definition. If a feminist doesn't fit this description, then they're probably not one.
8319 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Sydney, Australia
Offline
Posted 7/4/14
Oh look, more MRA shits.

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.