First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
Why would I pay 40$ for 4 episodes can someone help me
22408 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CR Forums
Online
Posted 7/3/14 , edited 7/3/14
The following is a 2012 review on Amazon about the Oriemo Aniplex release.


By Risu - August 28, 2012
Amazon Verified Purchase
First of all, the series it's self is amazing. I feel that the previous two reviews do a good job getting that fact across. My disappointment comes along with the cost of the product and what being included in it. Included is a 12 episode series with the 4 OVAs which is fine. My problem comes in as the fact that it's a sub only release with little to no special features only on DVD not even Blu-Ray, and all this for $55. This is due to Amniplex's mentality of over chargin for everything they release. From Sentai Film works or Kodakawa series in the similar manner (sub only with little to no special features) would be closer to $35.


Similar reviews can be found for the $200+ Bakemonogatari, and the $88 half seasons of Magi. Especially Magi, the 1 Star reviews all complain about the absurd price for a show they can watch free at any time on CR.

They're just getting worse.



aidenraine wrote:

the reasoning is simple: they sell at those prices because people will buy at those prices. if you don't like it, don't buy it.


People buy these products because they are misinformed consumers. They are paying for an inferior product because they don't know better, not enough people review dub releases and stuff.

Honestly. Funimation could get away at these prices with Attack on Titan, but they have such an efficient process and huge fanbase they gt away with cheaper releases. Consumer confidence is important.
7363 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Baltimore, Maryland
Offline
Posted 7/3/14

Girioni wrote:


shuuouma wrote:

While I would prefer if their prices were cheaper, i still buy from them so I don't mind it. I own all of Monogatari, Fate/Zero, Madoka, Garden of Sinners, and will be buying Nisekoi when they release it.


Strange that you don't mention Persona 3 Movie, considering your avatar.

Personally I like their quality, I have the Bakemonogatari Bluray set, and I adore the quality animation and amazing commentary. (BL-uray anyone?) I also have the Persona 3 Premium, which contained a lot of stuff a hardcore fan wants. Of course I don't plan on buying many Aniplex releases, but the ones that interest me, I'll get if I feel it's worth it/have enough money.


I really wanted the Persona 3 movie, but due to my circumstances at the time it sold out before I could order it. (Atleast, I think it did, I only looked on Rightstuf)
Plus, I figured there would be a chance that they would release a localised version of it, like how they released a local version of Fate/Zero a year later after the import, so I gambled on the chance they would do that. The collectors edition is very tempting though.
22408 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CR Forums
Online
Posted 7/3/14 , edited 7/3/14


When your success relies on consumer ignorance, you're bound to fail.

We already saw this with the gaming industry, companies like Capcom and EA exploiting their consumers. And it's backfired as the consumers fought back.

Saying "its not going away, and there is nothing you can do" isn't only a lie, its a self serving one. The industry relies on the consumer, if they want to put out inferior products I will not buy them. I will inform others not to buy them, and I will instead buy from other companies who DO provide the standards I set.

People are already dismissing Magi's absurd release, and HEAVY complaints about Kill la kill months before release. I was recently at A-kon in Dallas, and not even the sly convention dealers could sell anything from Aniplex. Everybody just dropped the sets once they saw the 80+ pricetags.

It will go away, we just have to know better.
88479 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 7/3/14
With the availability of online streaming these days the reasons to buy DVDs/BDs are extremely limited. The market consists mainly of collectors and those who want to show their support for the series, both of which are willing to pay higher prices.

Some casual consumers may be locked out by the prices, but they can still watch the series online. It seems to me that most of the complaints about prices are coming from a vocal minority that aren't even the intended customers.
22408 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CR Forums
Online
Posted 7/3/14

llamaben wrote:

With the availability of online streaming these days the reasons to buy DVDs/BDs are extremely limited. The market consists mainly of collectors and those who want to show their support for the series, both of which are willing to pay higher prices.

Some casual consumers may be locked out by the prices, but they can still watch the series online. It seems to me that most of the complaints about prices are coming from a vocal minority that aren't even the intended customers.


Several problems with this argument.

Aniplex doesn't cater to casual fans, but Funimation does. They provide a cheaper price and hold a lofty reputation. Their prices don't lock put casual buyers, but promotes it. Casual buyers tend to eat up Funimation releases like candy. How couldn't you for that price? Not everybody streams, and not all shows are streamed. CR only recently got One Piece and Fairy Tail. Two titles Funimation milks like cows. Right next to Dragonball Z.

Second. WE are their intended buyers. Those of us who complained LOOKED INTO THE PRICES. I only know Aniplexes history and have problems with it BECAUSE I want to buy the physical copies of these shows. I WANT a collectible DVD set. Spent $200 to import a Limited Edition Fate/Extra PSP game that came with a Nero Saber figma BECAUSE I WAMT THAT SHIT.

But they are releasing titles like shotgun to appeal to the consumers. They want Kill la Kill out before Christmas because NOW is when we have the most viewers. They want to push an inferior product on us before we look into it. While the iron is hot.

They're using trickery to sell their products, while Funimation has spent an ungodly amount of time producing dubs to shows like One Piece to ensure a quality product.

Aniplex releases are not worth $30, so why would I spend $200?

I just bought Funimations release of Eureka Seven tax free on memorial weekend for $16 each. For $32 bucks I got 50 episodes of Studio Bones mecha action. right now its up on Amazon for $21 a season.

AT THIS VERY SECOND YOU CAN BUY FUNIMATIONS RERELEASED EUREKA SEVEN DVD SETS FOR A TOTAL OF $42. 50 EPISODES OF THE GREATEST MECHA ANIME STUDIO BONES HAS EVER RELEASED! WHY HAVE YOU KNOW BOUGHT THIS SERIES YET?

4 episodes vs 50.....

AND THE DVDS INCLUDE COMENTARY! ITS FUCKING AMAZING.
39015 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Tralfamadore
Offline
Posted 7/3/14 , edited 7/3/14
There is another option especially when availability is an issue; buy yourself a multi region Blu ray player and buy from the UK or even Japan can't say the price is always better but at least you don't have to deal with Aniplex.
88479 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 7/3/14 , edited 7/3/14

Felstalker wrote:

Aniplex doesn't cater to casual fans, but Funimation does. They provide a cheaper price and hold a lofty reputation. Their prices don't lock put casual buyers, but promotes it. Casual buyers tend to eat up Funimation releases like candy. How couldn't you for that price? Not everybody streams, and not all shows are streamed. CR only recently got One Piece and Fairy Tail. Two titles Funimation milks like cows. Right next to Dragonball Z.

Good on them. If Aniplex thought that it was more profitable to cater to casual fans then they would, but they obviously don't. Funimation have been selling DVDs since it was the main legal way to watch anime, times have now changed and they are stuck using a legacy model.


Felstalker wrote:

Second. WE are their intended buyers. Those of us who complained LOOKED INTO THE PRICES. I only know Aniplexes history and have problems with it BECAUSE I want to buy the physical copies of these shows. I WANT a collectible DVD set. Spent $200 to import a Limited Edition Fate/Extra PSP game that came with a Nero Saber figma BECAUSE I WAMT THAT SHIT.

You obviously don't want the collectable DVD set THAT much if you aren't willing to pay the price. That's fine - it is quite expensive, but for every person like you there are others that are willing to pay that much. They are the intended buyers.


Felstalker wrote:

But they are releasing titles like shotgun to appeal to the consumers. They want Kill la Kill out before Christmas because NOW is when we have the most viewers. They want to push an inferior product on us before we look into it. While the iron is hot.

They're using trickery to sell their products, while Funimation has spent an ungodly amount of time producing dubs to shows like One Piece to ensure a quality product.

Where's the trickery? They have a set price, and if you want it at that price you buy it. They have released a sample of the dub so it's up to the consumer if they want to buy it or not.
22463 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Houston, TX
Offline
Posted 7/3/14
Um dude I pay $90 for 2 episodes of anime. First-time limited edition from Japan. Prices actually vary
18904 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 7/3/14
why so pricey 0_o
25122 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / California
Offline
Posted 7/3/14 , edited 7/3/14
I'll just throw my opinion in this pot. Aniplex IS super omfg more expensive than other companies but there are still lots of people out there who will buy their releases. I buy from Aniplex because all I care about is having a physical release with excellent video quality and good subs.

I know i'm paying more for an Aniplex release then others so that argument that we who buy Aniplex titles are ignorant is incorrect. Ive been a RightStuff customer for i think almost 10 years so I know the market and how much stuff cost. But people out there like me who enjoy having a physical release will continue to pay these prices.

Heck id buy direct from Japan if it came with subs and that would be more expensive than Aniplex. So is Aniplex expensive? Heck yea. Will they go under? I dont think so because i keep hearing their stuff always sells what they expect or better thanks to people like me

22408 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CR Forums
Online
Posted 7/3/14

llamaben wrote:

Good on them. If Aniplex thought that it was more profitable to cater to casual fans then they would, but they obviously don't. Funimation have been selling DVDs since it was the main legal way to watch anime, times have now changed and they are stuck using a legacy model.

You obviously don't want the collectable DVD set THAT much if you aren't willing to pay the price. That's fine - it is quite expensive, but for every person like you there are others that are willing to pay that much. They are the intended buyers.

Where's the trickery? They have a set price, and if you want it at that price you buy it. They have released a sample of the dub so it's up to the consumer if they want to buy it or not.


If they do not carter to me, I will not cater to them. If they do not want to release an affordable DVD set, people will not want to buy it. Their is also a consumer price cap on thing. You would not think twice on buying a new Halo game for 60, but 80? Pushing it waaaaaay too hard. People will go elsewhere.(note, I'm using Halo as a popular game reference. Doesn't have to be Halo, just a random triple A.)

This is how a free enterprise system, at its most basic, functions.

When the price ofca product goes beyond what I'm willing to pay, it costs too much. I did not start this thread, so I can not be the only one. Kill la Kill is my absolute favorite anime, it has pushed the boundaries of Japanese storytelling on today's market, and I promoted the shit out of it.

But $120 is far beyond what I will pay for half of a show. It is so costly that I have a problem with the very idea someone would spend it. I've already abstained from buying the absurd Madoka Magica, but now its beyond too much.

Why does Aniplex shotgun releases out so fast? Because nobody will buy their releases if they arnt new. Kill la Kill aired less than a year ago, and its still fresh in public mind. Releasing kill la kill for this price in another 8months is practically suicide.

The dub is rushed, this anime that studio Trigger spent the last 2 or 3 years planning and perfecting is being dubbed in a mere few months! Just so Aniplex can take advantage of the popularity.

Aniplex lacks the talent and resources to do what Funimation does, that is why they do not cater to casuals. They lack the ability. Funimation isn't going broke because they're selling merchandise at a proper price. Aniplex is overpricing because they have to make a profit somehow.

The prices of Aniplex have only gone up in recent years, with little or negative changes in quality.

Again, I do not have the money to buy half an anime for $80, I especially do not have enough to huy at $120. And I CAN AND DO buy shows at $40.
Sentaifilmworks offers shows at $50 to $60 regularly, and they offer substantially better quality.

Aniplex is doing tricky shit. That is just what's happening just because they offer a dub doesn't mean they put any effort or time into it. Their licenses sell themselves, not their dubs.
25122 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / California
Offline
Posted 7/3/14 , edited 7/3/14
lol oh wow so you have a problem that we (people who buy Aniplex titles) choose to buy them? I mean i understand where your coming from I am not trying to say you are wrong about their pricing. However, you just explained how Aniplex is able to sell at these prices. They strike while the iron is hot to make more sales. Yes it is greedy but they are a business first and they need to make money. Like you said at the end, the licenses sell themselves. I did not buy SAO for the dub that's for sure lol. I feel a little bad for you people but im not gonna stop buying series I love that I can afford because they price higher than other companies because Aniplex is my only option to get a physical release with English subs. Plus i do love their packaging

7363 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Baltimore, Maryland
Offline
Posted 7/3/14

Felstalker wrote:

Why does Aniplex shotgun releases out so fast? Because nobody will buy their releases if they arnt new. Kill la Kill aired less than a year ago, and its still fresh in public mind. Releasing kill la kill for this price in another 8months is practically suicide.

The dub is rushed, this anime that studio Trigger spent the last 2 or 3 years planning and perfecting is being dubbed in a mere few months! Just so Aniplex can take advantage of the popularity.

Aniplex lacks the talent and resources to do what Funimation does, that is why they do not cater to casuals. They lack the ability. Funimation isn't going broke because they're selling merchandise at a proper price. Aniplex is overpricing because they have to make a profit somehow.



Funimation has its share of bad dubs. One of the reasons why it takes Funimation and Sentai longer for their releases is that in Japan, they release in volumes (even smaller, generally only ~2 per volume, while the NA versions are usually 4 - 5 episodes) . Funimation has to wait until all volumes are released and finish their initial salesrun before they are allowed to setup a release for the local version of the show. Aniplex can release them like this alongside their japan releases because the pricing won't prove a problem with reverse importation. So it's not that ""Aniplex rushes everything"" or ""funimation does better work""

Aniplex does not ""shotgun"" out all of their titles, for example, Nekomonogatari: Kuro aired in 2012. It did not get a home release until April 22nd, 2014.

Aniplex's titles, like their popular Madoka Magica, Sword Art Online, and Monogatari, are still selling despite being released years ago.

22408 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CR Forums
Online
Posted 7/3/14 , edited 7/3/14
I'm quite passionate tonight. What can I say? On to the probably mean sounding rebuttle.


spikespiegel1632 wrote:

I'll just throw my opinion in this pot. Aniplex IS super omfg more expensive than other companies but there are still lots of people out there who will buy their releases. I buy from Aniplex because all I care about is having a physical release with excellent video quality and good subs.

I know i'm paying more for an Aniplex release then others so that argument that we who buy Aniplex titles are ignorant is incorrect. Ive been a RightStuff customer for i think almost 10 years so I know the market and how much stuff cost. But people out there like me who enjoy having a physical release will continue to pay these prices.

Heck id buy direct from Japan if it came with subs and that would be more expensive than Aniplex. So is Aniplex expensive? Heck yea. Will they go under? I dont think so because i keep hearing their stuff always sells what they expect or better thanks to people like me



So you know? You know that the prices your paying is absurd? You know that the majority of fans are unable or unwilling to pay this price? You know that spending your money on releases from Funimation or Sentai would be a better use of your cash? That these purchases would improve their quality and help provide you with better product? That simply taking your business elsewhere for a year could pressure Aniplex to change their practices? You know that continuing to buy will continue to increase the prices rather than the quality? Shows you are currently able to watch for free, online, legally, right this second, you Absolutely need to buy the physical copies at an inflated price? Strictly so you can rewatch the already free subbed version in a less convenient manner than streaming?
A set you will not want or need to use until the prices actually go down a little a year later?

You know all of this and still make the decision to spend $50(one guy on Amazon. Rightstuf and most sellers $89) on 7 episodes of Sword Art Online? You actually make this decision?

Do you perhaps sleep on a bed of money too? Perhaps you don't have problems paying rent every month either?

You will always find people willing to buy. Funimation is trying to sell to people who don't always buy, s
88479 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 7/3/14 , edited 7/3/14

Felstalker wrote:

If they do not carter to me, I will not cater to them. If they do not want to release an affordable DVD set, people will not want to buy it. Their is also a consumer price cap on thing. You would not think twice on buying a new Halo game for 60, but 80? Pushing it waaaaaay too hard. People will go elsewhere.(note, I'm using Halo as a popular game reference. Doesn't have to be Halo, just a random triple A.)

This is how a free enterprise system, at its most basic, functions.

When the price ofca product goes beyond what I'm willing to pay, it costs too much. I did not start this thread, so I can not be the only one. Kill la Kill is my absolute favorite anime, it has pushed the boundaries of Japanese storytelling on today's market, and I promoted the shit out of it.

But $120 is far beyond what I will pay for half of a show. It is so costly that I have a problem with the very idea someone would spend it. I've already abstained from buying the absurd Madoka Magica, but now its beyond too much.

They don't expect you to cater to them. As I said in one of my previous posts, the consumers who buy DVDs but are only willing to pay low prices are turning into a vocal minority because of legal streaming. Aniplex presumably makes more profit by selling to those who will pay higher prices then to people like you.


Felstalker wrote:

Why does Aniplex shotgun releases out so fast? Because nobody will buy their releases if they arnt new. Kill la Kill aired less than a year ago, and its still fresh in public mind. Releasing kill la kill for this price in another 8months is practically suicide.

The dub is rushed, this anime that studio Trigger spent the last 2 or 3 years planning and perfecting is being dubbed in a mere few months! Just so Aniplex can take advantage of the popularity.

What's wrong with putting it out faster? Pretty much everyone would prefer a faster DVD release, Aniplex are simply doing what people want. I'm not in a position to say whether the dub is rushed or not, but for a lot of people the dub is just an extra and not the main product.


Felstalker wrote:

Aniplex lacks the talent and resources to do what Funimation does, that is why they do not cater to casuals. They lack the ability. Funimation isn't going broke because they're selling merchandise at a proper price. Aniplex is overpricing because they have to make a profit somehow.

Now this is just rubbish. Aniplex (JP) is a much bigger company than Funimation and could easily cater to casuals if they wanted to. The reason that Aniplex are selling their products to the US market themselves is because they felt Funimation (and other US distributors) were undervaluing their product by selling it at ridiculously cheap prices.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.