First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
PSA: Writing Reviews
39247 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / USA
Online
Posted 7/6/14
This is pretty much a universal issue with all publicly allotted outlets for reviewing series, films, music, etc.

From Amazon to Steam, if there is a way for people to review something on a highly public platform, expect to see reviews that range from being absurdly biased to overly critical just because they woke up on the wrong side of the bed that day.

I say get rid of rating systems all together and simply stick to the written reviews, which I have found to be the most appropriate form of reviewing IMHO.

8520 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / In Your Closet
Offline
Posted 7/6/14
I think people should only be allowed to write reviews when the anime is done airing.

A lot of reviews already on MAL for SAO 2 even though there's only 1 episode out..
39814 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 7/6/14

Bullbound wrote:

Legendzerox, if you do not think it is proper for a show to be reviewed until the simulcast is complete, what about shows with 100+ or even 200+ episodes? Should all reviewers have to wait?

Then again, some shows do make a very strong impression (good or bad) quickly with viewers and those viewers have formed an opinion. A review of a show is not just factual summary, but also the impression the show has made on the viewer. I have seen some shows that after 2 or 4 episodes have shown a lot of potential. Should I not be allowed to say that the show has entertained me up to that point and I look forward to the rest of the series? Then again, some shows are so poorly written in my opinion, that after the first episode I walk away with no clue whom the cast are nor do I understand a thing about the setting. A show must be able to grab me and hold me in order for me to not consider it torturous to watch the series. You are claiming it is wrong of me to state that I could not finish a series because it left me feeling like it is a waste of my time to keep watching. That is my opinion. That is my review of the series.

If you want to talk about folks making claims without enough experience to backup the claim, how about statements such as "<insert name> is the best drama anime of all time in my opinion"? Has the reviewer watched all the drama anime that exist? Probably not. A more accurate statement would be "<insert name> is the best drama anime that I have watched and can recall." But, we understand the implied in the first statement. Oh, and if that statement sounds familiar, it should. You wrote it in one of your reviews.

But let us look closer at what you are positing for the requirements of reviews and what you feel is appropriate;

Legendzerox wrote:

Yeah most fan made reviews are pretty bad, most fan reviews are completely biased and people can't critique a show worth of crap. I do my best to try to grade shows fairly, but when they pull some horrible matrix plot twist in an already convoluted setting, its just recipe for disaster. Not to mention even for a harem show, it was pretty bad.

"Most"? You don't want folks to review an show until it is complete but here you are reviewing the reviews when there is almost no chance you have read every review ever written up to this point in time. In order to say "most," you would have to have read enough to gain a significant amount of data with no skewed results. Can you review the reviews with your limited exposure and call it accurate? Nope. What you can state though is that you have found the majority of reviews you have read to be not to your liking. You say that "people can't critique a show worth of crap" but that statement alone makes no sense. What is "worth of crap"? Do you mean that they can't critique a show worth less than a poop? Then again, how much do you value crap? What are your standards for reviews? You claim that you attempt to grade shows fairly, but what if your standards are skewed or biased by your own opinions...wait, they are! The star rating system alone is a gauge of opinion and there is no way to objectively have an opinion that is devoid of personal bias. So, what would be required for you to feel that a critique is proper? Keep in mind, your criteria must be acceptable to all, or else someone is going to have a similar sentiment that the review is not proper nor well written.



TrueGoober wrote:

To be serious. Let's say you don't have a lot of time. And you're gonna wait until all the shows have premiered before you decide what to watch. That way, you can know what people think of it up to that point. That's what those early reviews are for. Do you think professional critics get paid to write about shows that finished airing, or are currently airing?

It's the same way when people drop a show early and give it a bad review. They didn't like what they saw so they quit and gave it the rating they thought it deserved. It doesn't matter that they haven't seen the whole show. Their review isn't falsified just because they can't be bothered to finish the piece of crap.

I dunno, it's hard to wrap it up into one point. Just don't be so butthurt about it.

How dare you say something that makes logical sense in an argument about how opinions of others can't be valid if they don't match mine (or the OP in this case)? This is exactly what happens, and not just here. Many television shows get cancelled after just a few episodes or even after a single season. It isn't because the show's writing staff and production company planned for it, but because enough exposure was present for people to form an opinion. That opinion is what folks respond to and sometimes agree or disagree with. It is up to each person to form their own opinion in whatever manner they feel is the proper one. If folks feel they can trust reviews written after a single episode and they feel it is worth trusting, then that is their decision. However, if you feel it is not a proper review then you have the choice to disregard it. Not all reviews are going to agree with your opinion, and you may find your opinion changing as a series progresses. However, that can't be said for all. As such, a review written while the series is airing is just that individual's opinion at the time that the review is written. A review written after a series has ended, is just that individual's opinion at the time that the review is written.

Wait a moment, those last two sentences were in agreement! A review is just a person's opinion at the time that the review is written. If the review is written before the release of a show, during the release of a show, or after the show has ended, it is always that person's opinion at that point in time. Instead of getting all upset about someone sharing their opinion at a point in time, why not take into account the point in time?


Most animes that have more than 100 episodes are shit tier Shonen so who cares.
10100 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 7/6/14
@Legendzerox
Quite a few people, it seems.
@the rest of you
Also, in my experience, the reason people become so agitated about reviews(especially, the bad ones) is because they cannot stand something they love being disliked(and - if you turn this around - something they hate being praised as good). Animes are as much of a part of anyone's life and self as any other things we like - and we tend to lash back when someone points at the thing that forms our identity, since we feel that the critique was towards US and not the thing that we like/dislike.

So, in the end, there'll always be two schools of thought in this matter - you'll either appreciate the early reviews, or you'll hate them(or you might just not care). The question relevant to the matter, however, is this: can we accept that both have their own place in the world?
5574 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Florida
Offline
Posted 7/6/14

Legendzerox wrote:
Most animes that have more than 100 episodes are shit tier Shonen so who cares.

You labeled this discussion a "PSA" so it has to apply to the public, not just your personal opinion. Come now, I'm giving you a chance to defend your position and all you can do is use profanity about one of the many questions? For shame. They were obviously popular enough to keep creating more episodes, so the public's view is that they are not "shit tier Shonen" as you put it. Now, if you want better reviews and have some tips that apply to all, how about sharing them? Or was this a thread meant to attack and insult a user whose review you didn't agree with, because that is what this is sounding more and more like based on your replies to other posters.
39814 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 7/6/14 , edited 7/6/14

Bullbound wrote:


Legendzerox wrote:
Most animes that have more than 100 episodes are shit tier Shonen so who cares.

You labeled this discussion a "PSA" so it has to apply to the public, not just your personal opinion. Come now, I'm giving you a chance to defend your position and all you can do is use profanity about one of the many questions? For shame. They were obviously popular enough to keep creating more episodes, so the public's view is that they are not "shit tier Shonen" as you put it. Now, if you want better reviews and have some tips that apply to all, how about sharing them? Or was this a thread meant to attack and insult a user whose review you didn't agree with, because that is what this is sounding more and more like based on your replies to other posters.


Its not a position of defense, so I will saying nothing on that matter. If people don't know how to critique, they must of failed english in high school or didn't pay attention.
4451 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Massachusetts
Offline
Posted 7/6/14 , edited 7/6/14
I also agree that reviews should be done only after a show has completely aired. Of course there can be exceptions to this for shows that are 24+++ episode long. As for way people can discuss/express their opinions on the show while it continues to air, there is already a comment section dedicated to each show as well as user created forum topics.

To solve this issue, CR just needs to enforce the separation better by locking reviews until the show is completed or until after XX number of episodes have aired (AniDB does this quite well).

Also, any rating system that uses a numerical value will always be severely weighted and I blame schooling for that. So when looking at a show's rating on CR (which uses the 5 star system) you will have to sometimes take it with a grain of salt.
Sailor Candy Moderator
200584 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28
Offline
Posted 12/27/15
"Year-end cleanup. Closing threads with no activity since 2014."
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.