First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Should we all be eating insects?
31756 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / The Raggedy Edge
Offline
Posted 7/7/14
From what I've heard, depending on the insect, subspecies, and how they're cooked they don't taste either bad or particularly strange. Apparently, certain species of locusts and grasshoppers taste a bit like lamb when roast/fried* (one or the other, I forget which); and within the same cooking bracket certain species of cockroaches taste like chicken or pork.

It's less about what they are, and more about what they eat; although it is still best to cook them properly as they can carry a number of parasites and bacteria, especially in the case of cockroaches.
Posted 7/7/14 , edited 7/7/14

HuastecoOtaku wrote:


gintamaaa511 wrote:



To be honest, didn't knew that Mexico has those kinds of food.



We have tons of unusual foods! :D
These are maguey worms and they cost between 80-100 USD a kilo. W


Ant larvae.


Grasshoppers are very cheap.




I look forward to that.

13016 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 7/7/14
Once ate a few live crickets on a dare for 50 bucks... but I don't know if I can deal with a plateful of bugs whatever they are. I'll stick with my asparagus and chicken until they go extinct I think.
20813 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / California
Offline
Posted 7/8/14 , edited 7/8/14



This intrigues me, it looks like it would be tasty.
1295 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 7/8/14
I count seafood like lobsters, shrimps, sea cucumbers, snails, squids, and oysters as types of water insects, so I guess that's a yes?
20695 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Kansas
Offline
Posted 7/8/14
I used to watch that Bizarre Foods show, and I would say I would get hungry 90% of the time. I am all about trying new foods. And, as I love shellfish, insects sound fine to me. I'm not going to just pick up a bug out of my basement and eat it... but if an insect were properly cultivated and prepared, I would absolutely try it. Maybe not a roach or a spider, but a locust or grasshopper would be kosher, no problem. (I'm not Jewish, but the fact that people regarded them as safe to eat 6000 years ago is comforting).
42275 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 7/8/14
No. I refuse to eat insects.
13245 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / MS
Offline
Posted 7/8/14
I'd eat anything if I was starving to death. But I think I could eat cooked insects for food way sooner then I could go on the X-factor or some shit and eat buckets of live insects.
48409 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / AZ
Offline
Posted 7/8/14

cleruninja wrote:

I used to watch that Bizarre Foods show, and I would say I would get hungry 90% of the time. I am all about trying new foods. And, as I love shellfish, insects sound fine to me. I'm not going to just pick up a bug out of my basement and eat it... but if an insect were properly cultivated and prepared, I would absolutely try it. Maybe not a roach or a spider, but a locust or grasshopper would be kosher, no problem. (I'm not Jewish, but the fact that people regarded them as safe to eat 6000 years ago is comforting).


I thought shellfish was forbidden ?
24932 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Atlanta, GA, USA
Online
Posted 7/8/14 , edited 7/8/14

gintamaaa511 wrote:Besides, at this rate, resources will be at dangerously low levels so, unless there's some new solution for it, we will end up eating bugs.


Or worse, vegetables. And I'm pretty sure we're not running out of corn here in the US any time soon.
20695 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Kansas
Offline
Posted 7/8/14

HuastecoOtaku wrote:


cleruninja wrote:

I used to watch that Bizarre Foods show, and I would say I would get hungry 90% of the time. I am all about trying new foods. And, as I love shellfish, insects sound fine to me. I'm not going to just pick up a bug out of my basement and eat it... but if an insect were properly cultivated and prepared, I would absolutely try it. Maybe not a roach or a spider, but a locust or grasshopper would be kosher, no problem. (I'm not Jewish, but the fact that people regarded them as safe to eat 6000 years ago is comforting).


I thought shellfish was forbidden ?


Yeah, I don't actually keep kosher. But for something as unusual as an insect, knowing it's kosher would somehow make it easier to me. Lol.
11670 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 7/8/14
Nope, we should all be eating Saber
27633 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Seattle, WA, USA
Offline
Posted 7/8/14

qualeshia3 wrote:

No. I refuse to eat insects.


Agreed
48409 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / AZ
Offline
Posted 7/8/14

cleruninja wrote:
Yeah, I don't actually keep kosher. But for something as unusual as an insect, knowing it's kosher would somehow make it easier to me. Lol.


Did you that Andrew Zimmern is also Jewish? He broke all the rules! Lol
81337 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Inside Lorreen's...
Offline
Posted 7/8/14
Grasshoppers are kinda tasty.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.