Post Reply Manga App Suggestions
65038 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / San Francisco
Offline
Posted 7/6/14
I posted this in the CR Premium area but thought it would get more attention here.

Just upgraded to the premium subscription from anime only and I'm really digging the new manga. blazing through it quite fast in fact.

However, I think there are a lot of improvements that can bring it up to speed with some of the unauthorized free manga apps that are out there.

- The app needs to be able to automatically record the place that you finished reading. using bookmarks is really cumbersome. Before bookmarks, remembering where you left off would have been a much better feature.

- We need a view where we can view all manga in the app in a single view. Going through all the genres is quite a pain. Most people that are into manga are not happy with just browsing what is in the popular feed, especially that there are not that many titles yet. Alphabetical would be helpful, but also just expanding the popular section to include all manga in order of popularity would be great.

- We should easily be able to see if any of our favorited series has a new chapter. It could be as simple as supporting the same thumbnail view as the other lists with the new chapter banner. As it stands, we have to constantly select each series in our list and check every day. ideally we would have the same interface that is used for anime, where we can see the number of days before a new simulcast chapter will be released.

- should be able to see the page count in any manga you are reading.

- it should remember wether you prefer the list vs the icon view. I like the icon view much better and it's lame that I have to keep switching over to it.

- really need to fill in chapters of a lot of these series and get licensing for the original series like in the case of As the Gods Will. I understand that there might be licensing issues like in the case with Attack onTitan, but it doesn't make sense to star reading these series unless you can stat at the first issue. It would be ok even if we pay for the start of Attack on Titan in order to catch up to the simulcast. At least we can buy Attack on Titan through the kindle store but there is currently no way to get ahold of As the Gods Will except through scanlations.

I think a lot of people are willing to pay for this content as long as they have a comparable if not better experience. I'm supporting this because I want this to work as a business but it still has a way to go before it's an equal experience to other methods.

Overall though, I'm happy there is finally another legit source of manga in addition to the viz app.
65038 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / San Francisco
Offline
Posted 7/6/14
A perfect example of the issue just happened, I fairy tail, ajin, and fuuka all received new issues but I didn't even see the new chapter tag on the main popular screen. I actually had to go through all my favorite series and check to see if there was a chapter at the top that didnt have it's blue line filled in.

That's pretty lame to cause readers to have to manually check every day especially when the release dates for simulpup and not mentioned anywhere.

also, getting tons of errors when trying to load chapters. since this morning I havent been able to read the latest Ajin, just says "the operation couldn't be completed error 3840" and now the main chapter list for Ajin is not loading. just says "Loading chapter list..."

Do any of the crunchy roll developers stop by the forum to see if there are issues?
One Punch Mod
85881 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 7/7/14

davecazz wrote:

A perfect example of the issue just happened, I fairy tail, ajin, and fuuka all received new issues but I didn't even see the new chapter tag on the main popular screen. I actually had to go through all my favorite series and check to see if there was a chapter at the top that didnt have it's blue line filled in.

That's pretty lame to cause readers to have to manually check every day especially when the release dates for simulpup and not mentioned anywhere.

also, getting tons of errors when trying to load chapters. since this morning I havent been able to read the latest Ajin, just says "the operation couldn't be completed error 3840" and now the main chapter list for Ajin is not loading. just says "Loading chapter list..."

Do any of the crunchy roll developers stop by the forum to see if there are issues?


There are definitely some issues. Crunchy staff are aware and working on it.
Product Design
29118 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F / San Francisco, CA
Offline
Posted 7/7/14

davecazz wrote:
- The app needs to be able to automatically record the place that you finished reading. using bookmarks is really cumbersome. Before bookmarks, remembering where you left off would have been a much better feature.

The app should do this, actually. If you leave partway through a chapter, then return to it, it will load the last page you looked at.


davecazz wrote:
- We need a view where we can view all manga in the app in a single view. Going through all the genres is quite a pain. Most people that are into manga are not happy with just browsing what is in the popular feed, especially that there are not that many titles yet. Alphabetical would be helpful, but also just expanding the popular section to include all manga in order of popularity would be great.

The popular (default) view should show all available titles at the moment, I'll check with the devs to see about this.


davecazz wrote:
- We should easily be able to see if any of our favorited series has a new chapter. It could be as simple as supporting the same thumbnail view as the other lists with the new chapter banner. As it stands, we have to constantly select each series in our list and check every day. ideally we would have the same interface that is used for anime, where we can see the number of days before a new simulcast chapter will be released.

There is currently a bug on iOS where the new chapter tag isn't appearing on both views. This should be fixed, if it hasn't been already. Also, titles that are favorites will send notifications for new chapters (found in settings). We're looking into changing the behavior of "new" to be user-specific, but at the moment it is, indeed, a global variable that does not change based on read/unread.


davecazz wrote:
- it should remember wether you prefer the list vs the icon view. I like the icon view much better and it's lame that I have to keep switching over to it.

We'll look into this, good suggestion!

65038 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / San Francisco
Offline
Posted 7/7/14
Thanks for reading my suggestion, wanted to clear up one thing though


meziarogue wrote:


davecazz wrote:
- The app needs to be able to automatically record the place that you finished reading. using bookmarks is really cumbersome. Before bookmarks, remembering where you left off would have been a much better feature.

The app should do this, actually. If you leave partway through a chapter, then return to it, it will load the last page you looked at.


What I mean by this is to remember your location based on the entire series, not one chapter. For example. if someone is reading a long series like space brothers. its pretty cumbersome to have to navigate through the main chapter list each time. ideally, if I finish reading chapter 20 and exit the app. I should be able to find space brothers in my favorite list and when I tap the icon, go straight to chapter 21 (or where ever I left off in chapter 20). I shouldn't have to find chapter 21 in the chapter list (it's painful for long lists).

The video app works like this and it's great.

also another suggestion is to be able to sort your favorites by most recently viewed, that way you can go right into the series you are currently reading without any navigation.



meziarogue wrote:


davecazz wrote:
- We should easily be able to see if any of our favorited series has a new chapter. It could be as simple as supporting the same thumbnail view as the other lists with the new chapter banner. As it stands, we have to constantly select each series in our list and check every day. ideally we would have the same interface that is used for anime, where we can see the number of days before a new simulcast chapter will be released.

There is currently a bug on iOS where the new chapter tag isn't appearing on both views. This should be fixed, if it hasn't been already. Also, titles that are favorites will send notifications for new chapters (found in settings). We're looking into changing the behavior of "new" to be user-specific, but at the moment it is, indeed, a global variable that does not change based on read/unread.



I am currently not seeing any push alerts for new chapters. although, the series I have favorited are also not showing up on the popular list with the new chapter header either. These titles are Fuuka, Fairy Tail, and Ajin. I have not seen any new chapter banners for these titles in any of the views, and like I said, the notifications are not working for these series either. maybe a clue as to what is wrong.

One more issue just hit me starting yesterday.

When I load the app I get a connection error and then all my bookmarks are missing. Although I just quit my app and restared and now I am seeing them, so it must be a sporadic issue like not being able to load chapter lists and not being able to load chapters every now and then.

65038 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / San Francisco
Offline
Posted 7/7/14
was just thinking about an easy way to implement the most recently viewed logic.

You could have something that is just like the bookmarks section but called "recently read" where you just list the most recently read chapter from each series. that way you don't have to mess with the favorites section.

In my mind, recently read is way more important than bookmarks. bookmarks are for things like saving a page that has interesting dialog you want to show a friend, or saving a page that has an image you want to try and draw later.

being able to easily get the read into the place where they left off is something that is super important but unfortunately is not done very well my most comic apps like comics+ and comixology. I would check out Manga Rock if you want some inspiration for a great comic app. although it's centered around scanlations, it's a really good reader and has a lot of features that are really tuned toward reading a crap-ton of manga.

another great feature from manga rock is being able to sort all your favorites with new updates at the top, and showing how many new issues have been added since the last time you read a chapter from the series.
31876 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/7/14

davecazz wrote:

- We should easily be able to see if any of our favorited series has a new chapter. It could be as simple as supporting the same thumbnail view as the other lists with the new chapter banner. As it stands, we have to constantly select each series in our list and check every day. ideally we would have the same interface that is used for anime, where we can see the number of days before a new simulcast chapter will be released.


Agree with this fully; the ability to add series to our queues would be an awesome addition.
You must be logged in to post.