Is there a reason why certain anime have only DVDs and not Blue Ray?
23568 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / 727 The Zoo
Offline
Posted 7/7/14
Anime like Future Diary, Oreshura and Railgun (as of now they just announced the BD) only come in DVD form. Is there a reason why specific anime only get DVDs and not BD when in Japan they have BD?

Is there certain licensing restrictions that happen that don't allow companies like Funimation and Aniplex to release Blue rays?

Any insight on this would be appreciated.
11693 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / New Jersey
Offline
Posted 7/7/14
We'll never know exactly why cause we are not privy to the licensing contracts that are made, but according to funimation they pick up the blu-ray rights whenever they can. But sometimes they just aren't available. I imagine it's the same for Sentai.
61600 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/7/14
for aniplex, they usually only do DVD releases, unless it's something popular enough to warrant getting BD rights as well.
22408 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CR Forums
Offline
Posted 7/7/14
From what I learned during my long ass arguments in the previous thread(that I think you created)

Blu ray sales are really low. The whole "less people buy home videos" argument and the fact that Blu Ray sales are down about 39% since last year.

The disks are expensive, and the people don't buy them. This is why Funimation tends to offer them in package deals, and Sentai only sometimes offers both options, even if they'd prefer always.


I have my PS3 that plays blu ray, but no blu ray capable TV, so I tend to avoid it myself.
The Wise Wizard
100945 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Online
Posted 7/7/14 , edited 7/7/14

Captainkirko wrote:

Anime like Future Diary, Oreshura and Railgun (as of now they just announced the BD) only come in DVD form. Is there a reason why specific anime only get DVDs and not BD when in Japan they have BD?

The biggest reason is that the licensor in Japan delays the licensing due to reverse importation fears.

Unlike DVD, where the US and Japan have different region encoding, they share the same for Blu-ray. While this is a boon to those looking to import discs from Japan, it is the same for anyone in Japan wanting to get the series for far less by importing the US version.

The easiest way for companies in Japan to combat this is simply to delay licensing a series or movie for release on Blu-ray here.


One of the more infamous methods of curtailing reverse imports was the dub-only Blu-ray release of Persona 4. From what I understand, that wasn't too popular.

Another method (which I believe is still sometimes used even in conjunction with delayed releases) is locking the subtitles on when the original Japanese audio is selected.

23568 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / 727 The Zoo
Offline
Posted 7/7/14

TheAncientOne wrote:


Captainkirko wrote:

Anime like Future Diary, Oreshura and Railgun (as of now they just announced the BD) only come in DVD form. Is there a reason why specific anime only get DVDs and not BD when in Japan they have BD?

The biggest reason is that the licensor in Japan delays the licensing due to reverse importation fears.

Unlike DVD, where the US and Japan have different region encoding, they share the same for Blu-ray. While this is a boon to those looking to import discs from Japan, it is the same for anyone in Japan wanting to get the series for far less by importing the US version.

The easiest way for companies in Japan to combat this is simply to delay licensing a series or movie for release on Blu-ray here.


One of the more infamous methods of curtailing reverse imports was the dub-only Blu-ray release of Persona 4. From what I understand, that wasn't too popular.

Another method (which I believe is still sometimes used even in conjunction with delayed releases) is locking the subtitles on when the original Japanese audio is selected.



I appreciate the insight and hopefully I get a BD for one of my favorite anime, Oreshura, sometime soon =(
58680 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Dallas, TX
Offline
Posted 7/7/14

Felstalker wrote:

I have my PS3 that plays blu ray, but no blu ray capable TV, so I tend to avoid it myself.


There's no such thing as a "blu ray capable TV." If you force a resolution below 1080p on the PS3, it should downscale the video to work on whatever set you have connected.
22408 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CR Forums
Offline
Posted 7/7/14

eyeofpain wrote:


Felstalker wrote:

I have my PS3 that plays blu ray, but no blu ray capable TV, so I tend to avoid it myself.


There's no such thing as a "blu ray capable TV." If you force a resolution below 1080p on the PS3, it should downscale the video to work on whatever set you have connected.


You say that, but my TV just gives a black screen. Because its dead. Never turns on and we junked it this morning.

I have other TVs...but I don't know how to get blue rays to work on it.
The Wise Wizard
100945 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Online
Posted 7/7/14 , edited 7/7/14

Felstalker wrote:

I have other TVs...but I don't know how to get blue rays to work on it.

If you already have your PS3 connected to whatever lower resolution TV you have (old CRT?), Blu-ray playback should adjust to that same output.

If the problem you have is even getting the PS3 to display on an older TV, this is the answer:
http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PS3-General/Conecting-PS3-to-CRT-TV/td-p/10227311

Sailor Candy Moderator
200577 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28
Offline
Posted 12/27/15
"Year-end cleanup. Closing threads with no activity since 2014."
You must be logged in to post.