First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Downvoters ~ Solutions
42391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 7/10/14

Rito2Ru wrote:

Just get rid of upvoting/downvoting altogether.


I was about to mention this.
29481 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 7/10/14
I kinda feel like this topic is in response to the trolls who gave 20 downvotes to every comment in Momo Kyun Sword's first episode.

Which, admittedly, is kind of a dick move. If you didn't like the show, don't watch it again. No need to trash it for everyone else who wanted to talk about it.
20931 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Finland
Offline
Posted 7/10/14
I don't mind the system itself, but the fact that there is either one person with multiple accounts or a group of people doing this mass downvoting in certain shows is pretty ridiculous. This behavior makes conversation and upvoting difficult since you have to click on every single comment to see them.

The other problem with downvoting is the burying of unpopular opinions, resulting in sort of a hive mind of agreeance. I get that people want to show off their own opinions via thumbs, but it seems dickish to me when the majority just rolls over the minority like that. This is of course a problem with other internet comment sections that have similar systems as well.

I don't know whether removing the thumbs down or the whole thumbs system altogether is the best option, but I guess some sort of change would be welcome. Then again, these are just comment sections with limited writing space, so it's not like they hold any particularly deep discussions anyway. Most of it is reacting to the above episode in some fashion or just outright quoting what someone said in it.
70030 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Online
Posted 7/10/14 , edited 7/10/14
Comments are a psych-trap. They catch the opinions of impassioned people while also letting them feel like they've expressed themselves, and the vote system hooks in more of them in a self-perpetuating cycle. It also catches people who want confirmation of their own point of view, and it allows them to express their reckoning of the result.

It's all functioning quite adequately from my point of view.

Society is built upon such cynical machinery, it's how we keep the masses lean and fit. /puffs a cigar
62790 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 7/10/14 , edited 7/10/14

Insomnist wrote:
Comments are a psych-trap. They catch the opinions of impassioned people while also letting them feel like they've expressed themselves, and the vote system hooks in more of them in a self-perpetuating cycle. It also catches people who want confirmation of their own point of view, and it allows them to express their reckoning of the result.

It's all functioning quite adequately from my point of view.

Society is built upon such cynical machinery, it's how we keep the masses lean and fit. /puffs a cigar

I have walked in a show where everybody was -40. Everything was hidden. >_>
3259 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Fenix, AZ
Offline
Posted 7/10/14

Rito2Ru wrote:



Because we want to talk with others about our opinions? Basically all you can post in the episodes are quotes from the show or something like that.

Because we want to talk with others about our opinions?


But isn't that exactly what the discussion thread is for?

70030 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Online
Posted 7/10/14

bathroom64 wrote:

I have walked in a show where everybody was -40. Everything was hidden. >_>

And it kept all those people doing pointless things with their free time instead of upsetting the world social order.

Mission accomplished in my book.
8121 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / qtπ
Offline
Posted 7/10/14

persnickety wrote:

Maybe it's time to do something about downvoters (and even all those "first" posters)? So I'm posting this in case Crunchyroll agrees....

1. Get rid of the dislike ~ thumbs down ~ option. If someone disagrees with a comment, they can post an opposing view and readers can upvote whichever position they choose.

2. Extend the time that commenting is blocked to 20 minutes after the video has started. At least that way, people will be more likely to have actually watched the episode — or at least some of it?

Unrelated to this issue, but would it be possible to include a link to the forum thread with the series or episode info so that it would be easy to get here from there?

Of course, we can always upvote until a comment gets back to being +1. But that is bothersome. I really enjoy reading everyone's comments and kind of think that even legitimately intended 'thumbs down' votes can be rude or even hurt someone's feelings. And, something really offensive can be reported to the moderators.

Anyone else?


Hahahaha, your comments were downvoted and someone beat you in the "FIRST" race.

Nerd.
63290 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / With Lucina
Offline
Posted 7/10/14

Insomnist wrote:

Comments are a psych-trap. They catch the opinions of impassioned people while also letting them feel like they've expressed themselves, and the vote system hooks in more of them in a self-perpetuating cycle. It also catches people who want confirmation of their own point of view, and it allows them to express their reckoning of the result.

It's all functioning quite adequately from my point of view.

Society is built upon such cynical machinery, it's how we keep the masses lean and fit. /puffs a cigar


This is a non-smoking area sir. Please go into the smoking section.


rockadilla wrote:


Rito2Ru wrote:



Because we want to talk with others about our opinions? Basically all you can post in the episodes are quotes from the show or something like that.

Because we want to talk with others about our opinions?


But isn't that exactly what the discussion thread is for?



Outside of big hyped up anime like SAO and Akame ga Kill this season, discussion threads for smaller niche shows are active for only a few as compared to the actual episode page where everyone who accesses it goes to. Not everyone who goes to an episode page will go to a discussion thread though.

Look, we'll just have to agree to disagree because at this point, it's clear you are perfectly ok with this system and Crunchyroll is ok with this system. I may disagree with it but it's unlikely to change because I think they've put in a lot of time to implement it in the first place some time back.
Rohzek 
15004 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Online
Posted 7/10/14 , edited 7/10/14
Yes, let's get rid of a quick and convenient system that shows how well a comment is liked or hated, because if we all can't just jerk each other off, then we shouldn't associate with each other at all.

This is pretty much the epitome of the saying: "The weak only strive to be weaker." If someone wants to criticize your post or comment with a downvote, then big whoop. If you can't handle a respectable form of criticism then do the world a favor and don't speak, because if it isn't worth potential criticism to you, then how would expect the rest of us to think it was worth reading?

What's that? Your comment got a 1000 downvotes? Are they trolling? Or are they legit? There's really no way to tell, and if you're willing to take away a quick and easy form of expression just to cut down on trolling or protect someone's feelings, then I must ask: why you're even on the internet? It's an open medium, and you're bound to get offended or have your toes stepped on. It's a pretty reasonable trade-off in my book, considering the variety of opinions, interactions, and information we all acquire.
1838 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 7/11/14

Nuclear42 wrote:

I kinda feel like this topic is in response to the trolls who gave 20 downvotes to every comment in Momo Kyun Sword's first episode.

Which, admittedly, is kind of a dick move. If you didn't like the show, don't watch it again. No need to trash it for everyone else who wanted to talk about it.


Then again watching a show like Momo Kyun Sword is pretty shallow and does deserves a few downvotes.
One Punch Mod
85857 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 7/11/14 , edited 7/11/14

persnickety wrote:

Maybe it's time to do something about downvoters (and even all those "first" posters)? So I'm posting this in case Crunchyroll agrees....

1. Get rid of the dislike ~ thumbs down ~ option. If someone disagrees with a comment, they can post an opposing view and readers can upvote whichever position they choose.

2. Extend the time that commenting is blocked to 20 minutes after the video has started. At least that way, people will be more likely to have actually watched the episode — or at least some of it?

Unrelated to this issue, but would it be possible to include a link to the forum thread with the series or episode info so that it would be easy to get here from there?

Of course, we can always upvote until a comment gets back to being +1. But that is bothersome. I really enjoy reading everyone's comments and kind of think that even legitimately intended 'thumbs down' votes can be rude or even hurt someone's feelings. And, something really offensive can be reported to the moderators.

Anyone else?


I've moved this over to the Suggestions / Feedback forum.

I also don't like the downvote buttons, and especially hate the way they way they get used most often to suppress opinions that some fans don't agree with, rather than to just vote down especially pointless comments. But I'd mind them a lot less if they didn't result in the comments--seeing a lot of down votes on your comment may hurt your feelings, but at least others, including folks who do agree with the comment, will see it easily.

I'm not sure about the second suggestion. I think some people enjoy commenting while watching, and that's not always a bad thing.

First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.