First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Fullmetal Alchemist or Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood?
75 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19
Offline
Posted 7/11/14 , edited 7/11/14
I'm about to watch Fullmetal Alchemist because i heard it was pretty good.
but i got confused between Fullmetal Alchemist and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood?

are they the same? Which one should i watch? which is better?

13714 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 7/11/14
They are both good, but majority of people tend to prefer Brotherhood.
As for the difference... the original is a loose adaptation of the manga, while Brotherhood more closely follows it.

My personal opinion is to watch Brotherhood, but I would recommend watching both of them at some point.
104095 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 7/11/14
75 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19
Offline
Posted 7/11/14

RationalAlmond wrote:

They are both good, but majority of people tend to prefer Brotherhood.
As for the difference... the original is a loose adaptation of the manga, while Brotherhood more closely follows it.

My personal opinion is to watch Brotherhood, but I would recommend watching both of them at some point.


Ok thanks i'll watch brotherhood first then the other one.
63528 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Colorado
Offline
Posted 7/11/14 , edited 7/11/14
Don't even bother with the first one.

Watch Brotherhood, hands down. And I would recommend watching it dubbed.
14296 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 7/11/14 , edited 7/29/15

-King wrote:


RationalAlmond wrote:

They are both good, but majority of people tend to prefer Brotherhood.
As for the difference... the original is a loose adaptation of the manga, while Brotherhood more closely follows it.

My personal opinion is to watch Brotherhood, but I would recommend watching both of them at some point.


Ok thanks i'll watch brotherhood first then the other one.



I respectfully disagree with this. Watch the first one then Brotherhood, even though I think Brotherhood is better. The first one isn't bad, but watching it before will help you like Brotherhood more because of some things that they do differently.
11691 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / New Jersey
Offline
Posted 7/11/14 , edited 7/29/15
You should watch both, but maybe the FMA 2003 first. Even if just for the reason that you'd be back tracking less. The first 15 episodes of Brotherhood and about the first 24-25 episodes of FMA 2003 cover roughly the same material before diverging on their own stories.
52119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 7/11/14
I think there's a thread similar to this.

But, if you want my personal opinion, I liked the first Fullmetal Alchemist better than Brotherhood.
7678 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 7/11/14
Brotherhood is much better, but it doesn't mean the original is bad. Far from it actually.. it's just I prefer brotherhood over the original.
4736 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 7/11/14
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood has a much coherent story, the 2003 FMA becomes a full fledged filler after about 45 episodes, but if that isn't enough to convince you FMA Brotherhood is better... the original 2003 FMA series ends in a cliffhanger, yet the story concludes with a movie, that basically screws up the whole concept of Alchemy in the series.
21580 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M / Reston, Virginia
Offline
Posted 7/11/14
I recommend Brotherhood as well. The story holds together better and it stays true to the original source material. Both versions are good, I just feel that Brotherhood is better.
52119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 7/11/14

RichardBerrios wrote:

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood has a much coherent story, the 2003 FMA becomes a full fledged filler after about 45 episodes, but if that isn't enough to convince you FMA Brotherhood is better... the original 2003 FMA series ends in a cliffhanger, yet the story concludes with a movie, that basically screws up the whole concept of Alchemy in the series.


But... is filler bad, though?
4736 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 7/11/14 , edited 7/11/14

Shrapnel893 wrote:


RichardBerrios wrote:

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood has a much coherent story, the 2003 FMA becomes a full fledged filler after about 45 episodes, but if that isn't enough to convince you FMA Brotherhood is better... the original 2003 FMA series ends in a cliffhanger, yet the story concludes with a movie, that basically screws up the whole concept of Alchemy in the series.


But... is filler bad, though?


It's quite subjective whether fillers are bad or not. I think the question that should be asked: Are you interested in the source material, or are you interested in something else?

52119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 7/11/14 , edited 7/11/14

RichardBerrios wrote:

It's quite subjective whether fillers are bad or not. I think the question that should be asked: Are you interested in the source material, or are you interested in something else?



That is a better question to ask.

Also, I can't remember what thread it was exactly (probably the one similar to this -- along those lines anyway), but there was a good discussion about the differences between the two versions.

Or, perhaps, it could have been a blog post. Wish I knew where to find it again or I'd post it here.

EDIT: Welp, I found something, I guess.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-809381/fma-2003-vs-fma-brotherhood?pg=0

http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-803891/full-metal-alchemist

http://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/21qi0d/i_believe_that_fma_brotherhood_is_very_overrated/
LokiLB 
41570 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/11/14
I like the first anime better. There are several fundamental concepts that differ between the two (by design) that I prefer the 2003 version of. I also prefer some of the characterization and scenes from the first anime than from the second/manga. The first anime definitely made me care about the characters more than the second one did. Now, there are also some characters and scenes that don't make the first anime that are definitely awesome and worth seeing. Though my least favorite character shows up in the second anime and not the first.

I basically consider the stories to be two versions of a story that differ slightly because of some small fact or decision that then radiates out to the larger differences (the whole parallel worlds forming because of different choices thing, which I personally enjoy). So I think it's worth watching both, though probably watch the 2003 one first, because I think they do the beginning scenes better than the second anime.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.