First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
Post Reply Is the anime industry really dying?
11679 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 7/17/14
You know, you've probably heard about this every now and then, but what are your thoughts? Do you think the anime industry (be it North America or Japan) has been declining so much in the last decade to the point where it may be endangered fading away fairly soon? Is piracy solely to blame, or does it really come down to other factors, such as declining birthrate,etc. Can you see the industry picking up soon with the advancement of technology and legal online streaming, but to the point where it'll be physical releases dying?
20421 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/17/14 , edited 2/7/16
NO it's gotten bigger for fuck sake. This is like those idiots saying consoles are dying or something. Stupid. Baka. Anime as an industry is doing really well. Show are getting dubbed and localized faster. Kill la Kill which just finished a season ago is being dubbed already. Almost any young person in the west knows what Attack On Titan is, and Legitimate websites like Crucnhyroll, Funimation, and even Netflix are providing a legal means to watch anime as it comes out in Japan, which is now providing even more support. Tell me if anime is dying why would all this of happened in just the past few years? So calm down everything is going to be fine. Anime isn't going anywhere.
81337 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Inside Lorreen's...
Offline
Posted 7/17/14 , edited 8/21/14



It's not dying. Simple as that.
11679 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 7/17/14

MegaMoto_ wrote:

NO it's gotten bigger for fuck sake. This is like those idiots saying consoles are dying or something. Stupid. Baka. Anime as an industry is doing really well. Show are getting dubbed and localized faster. Kill la Kill which just finished a season ago is being dubbed already. Almost any young person in the west knows what Attack On Titan is, and Legitimate websites like Crucnhyroll, Funimation, and even Netflix are providing a legal means to watch anime as it comes out in Japan, which is now providing even more support. Tell me if anime is dying why would all this of happened in just the past few years? So calm down everything is going to be fine. Anime isn't going anywhere.


While I totally agree with you 100%, I'd like to express that the thought of it dying was not of my own.

I personally have high hopes to see how far CR will go in the next few years, even more hopes for CrunchyManga. Just like you said, I think CR (can't say anything for Funi since I don't stream there) has a huge lead with their one-hour-after-Japan for new episodes. The more. I see this, the lmuch ess reason I see the need to have to resort to 'shady' means just to watch anime in North America (USA and Canada, since there's some expanding I think should be done for the Latin American audience and others soon), and more light's being shed on brining more manga over CR bit by bit.

I also notice convention attendance has been really rising if we're talking about AX and several other well-known conventions (even though the experience was hell according to many this year) if that's any other indication.
30791 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Fraxinus
Offline
Posted 7/17/14 , edited 7/17/14
I hate this phrase so much, but really... I can't even.
275 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / Jakarta Indonesia
Offline
Posted 7/17/14
No they are not dying the industry still hold on.Except in Indonesia.
13945 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / New Jersey
Offline
Posted 7/17/14

Student_Zero wrote:

I also notice convention attendance has been really rising if we're talking about AX and several other well-known conventions (even though the experience was hell according to many this year) if that's any other indication.


Only 5 years ago, you could get a walk-up ticket to NYCC. Nowadays, they're sold out 6 months in advance.
8170 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Stevenage UK
Offline
Posted 7/17/14 , edited 7/17/14
HAHAHAHAHA dying, best joke ever.
61604 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/17/14
anyone who thinks that the industry is dying is wrong, and they should feel bad about themselves.

the industry in Japan is as big as it's ever been with more shows coming out per year (quality varies, but that's how it's always been).

the american anime home video market has shrunk quite a bit, but it's been replaced by the huge boom in online streaming services. the majority of shows per season are being licensed for streaming broadcast on sites like Crunchyroll and Funimation, which is a huge step ahead of where maybe 10% of a season's shows would be licenced for home video release and the rest would be left to rot, and you would have to watch fansubs to be able to watch them at all.
Ikitou 
11282 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 7/17/14
I suppose you could say it's dying in a sense.

Like... aren't we all dying really? Just making the most of whatever existence we can until death, and even our world itself will gradually decay, until one day our sun explodes leaving behind nothing but light and dust scattering endlessly through the cosmos for billions of years to come.

Still. Short term it's doing OK.
The Wise Wizard
100963 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 7/17/14 , edited 8/28/14

Ikitou wrote:

Like... aren't we all dying really? Just making the most of whatever existence we can until death, and even our world itself will gradually decay, until one day our sun explodes leaving behind nothing but light and dust scattering endlessly through the cosmos for billions of years to come.

Sadly, our sun will end with more of a whimper than a bang.

The best current knowledge of our sun indicates it will expand to a red giant (expanding beyond Venus' orbit), before eventually blowing off its outer shell and shrinking to a brown dwarf before it eventually expends the ability to perform any nuclear fusion at its core.


7691 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F / Basketball Court
Offline
Posted 7/17/14
Knock on wood.
Posted 7/17/14
I don't think it's dying; roughly the same amount of titles is released each season... for it to be "dying", there should be significant decrease in the amount of new titles per season....

(yaoi, a very niche genre... is still alive... [love stage, dramatical murder]... I can't imagine anime as a whole "dying"... when yaoi can still survive even with its very few fans--in japan and internationally).

it's nice to see straight guys on CR being able to enjoy watching Love Stage
18608 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/17/14

TheAncientOne wrote:


Ikitou wrote:

Like... aren't we all dying really? Just making the most of whatever existence we can until death, and even our world itself will gradually decay, until one day our sun explodes leaving behind nothing but light and dust scattering endlessly through the cosmos for billions of years to come.

Sadly, our sun will end with more of a whimper than a bang.

The best current knowledge of our sun indicates it will expand to a red giant (expanding beyond Venus' orbit), before eventually blowing off its outer shell and shrinking to a brown dwarf before it eventually expends the ability to perform any nuclear fusion at its core.




Poor little guy
104119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 7/17/14
forgot about the part where the red giant engulfs our earth.

but most of it would of burned to a crisp by then.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.