Post Reply Credit Card Premium Help
1016 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M / New Jersey
Offline
Posted 7/18/14
Alright so I'm a 14 year old and I have a summer job, I got my debit card recently and will get paid on August 1st. At the moment I have no cash on my card so I still used it for the 2 week free trial and then I'll pay the monthly $6 to watch anime. Is there a problem with plan? If so can you please point it out? Was kind of scared because this was my first time using a broke debit card for services such as Crunchyroll.
Kiki's Customer Support Service
Kiki 
100408 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Nova Scotia
Offline
Posted 7/18/14

OtakuXOus wrote:

Alright so I'm a 14 year old and I have a summer job, I got my debit card recently and will get paid on August 1st. At the moment I have no cash on my card so I still used it for the 2 week free trial and then I'll pay the monthly $6 to watch anime. Is there a problem with plan? If so can you please point it out? Was kind of scared because this was my first time using a broke debit card for services such as Crunchyroll.


First of all, thank you for being a Premium Member.

Your trial expires on August 1st so it should be fine. Though you might want to be careful since that's pulling in close. Some banks pull an overdraft fee if there's not enough funds. If you have further payment inquiries please use the contact us link:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/help?topic=contact

You can also PM me directly on Crunchyroll.
The Wise Wizard
100935 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 7/18/14

Ezgi wrote:

Though you might want to be careful since that's pulling in close. Some banks pull an overdraft fee if there's not enough funds.

By law, debit cards no longer automatically overdraft a person's account:
http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/banking-faqs/faq-overdraft-protection-law-overdraft-fees/

The problem is that I've noticed that many banks use what I consider deceptive tactics to get people to sign up again to be subject to overdraft fees again (i.e., "Never worry about having your card rejected due to an insufficient bank balance").

As long as the person in question hasn't been tricked into signing away their protection under the law, a debit card can no longer ever overdraft their account; it will simply be declined if their bank balance is insufficient.

Kiki's Customer Support Service
Kiki 
100408 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Nova Scotia
Offline
Posted 7/19/14
^
Thanks for the information :]

My bank is like that as well. However, I just finished up with a customer at support who was charged a 35 overdraft fee from their bank since they didn't have enough funds in their debit card. Also a user who used paypal and had their debit card linked be charged 100 overdraft fee, which is horrible. :/ So these things do happen. Didn't check if they were US/Canadian users though. It's why I said "some banks". Worried about our little young friend here and didn't want him to go through overdraft fees. ^_^
The Wise Wizard
100935 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 7/19/14 , edited 7/19/14

Ezgi wrote:

My bank is like that as well. However, I just finished up with a customer at support who was charged a 35 overdraft fee from their bank since they didn't have enough funds in their debit card. Also a user who used paypal and had their debit card linked be charged 100 overdraft fee, which is horrible. :/ So these things do happen. Didn't check if they were US/Canadian users though. It's why I said "some banks". Worried about our little young friend here and didn't want him to go through overdraft fees. ^_^

I burns me that a law was passed to protect consumers, but banks saw fit to take advantage of a loophole in it by advertising allowing you to go back to the old method as a service, while burying in fine print with an asterisk that you would be subject to an overdraft fee. What person in their right mind would want to pay a typical bank's overdraft fee for what amounts to a (very) short term loan?

It gets even worse when you consider that in many cases, the person's first experience with this will be an amount paid rather than rejected that is smaller than the overdraft fee itself.


As to Paypal, I wonder if that user might have also had their bank account linked. In such cases, even if the user selected the debit card as the default payment method and it was rejected, the payment would have then been drawn directly on the bank account.

It has been a long time since I joined PayPal, but as I recall in many circumstances, they make it difficult for one to open an account without linking a bank account. They do strongly prefer to withdraw funds that way, since it costs them less money.

You must be logged in to post.