First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  Next  Last
Do you Torrent?
10335 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Alaska, USA
Online
Posted 7/26/14 , edited 7/26/14
Anime is about the only thing I don't torrent, I torrent music, games, movies, and sometimes Operating Systems. That being said if the music, or movie is really good, and I really like it, I will go out and buy it to support the artist/company.
78279 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / F
Offline
Posted 7/26/14
yes, several versions of linux i know of are mainly distributed through torrents and at least one major MMO has/had a torrent client built into the game for distributing patches and updates. On the MMO we used to start the update process, then cancel it once the .torrent file had finished downloading and drop that into a mainstream torrent client so we could get updates in 5-10 min instead of 1-2 hrs. I've also used it to download shows i find out about that have never been released where i live.
3213 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F
Offline
Posted 7/26/14
For me it takes a whole damn day for one episode, so nah.
3788 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / The Far Shore
Offline
Posted 7/26/14
yep. do i look like i want to spend $1 per song on itunes???? i have over 500 songs downloaded who in their right mind would pay $500 for 500 songs that's just stupid. i mount and crack games and adobe programs. would i pay $__ for a game when i could just use an emulator or mount an iso? no. i don't even download anime, i use a site that offers free hd quality on all videos. movies? i don't even pay for a real tv program. netflix and torrenting what isn't available it is. basically i'm cheap



23583 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/26/14 , edited 7/26/14

awune wrote:

yep. do i look like i want to spend $1 per song on itunes???? i have over 500 songs downloaded who in their right mind would pay $500 for 500 songs that's just stupid. i mount and crack games and adobe programs. would i pay $__ for a game when i could just use an emulator or mount an iso? no. i don't even download anime, i use a site that offers free hd quality on all videos. movies? i don't even pay for a real tv program. netflix and torrenting what isn't available it is. basically i'm cheap

I guess most people know this but since you did ask...
You pay for things because people need to be paid for their work and if they're not then they won't be able to survive and they won't be able to produce things. Also, you're not downloading things for free, it's costing the people who created them.

$500 for 500 songs really isn't that bad. If you worked while listening to the songs you'd put a decent dent in that amount and you don't just have to listen to them once.

Sure, the systems around the world are horrendously flawed and most of the money probably goes to less deserving people but until we get a better system you're really just making things worse for people by illegally downloading things that you should be paying for (it really is much the same as stealing).

I think it's more of a grey area if you couldn't actually get something legally. Can you prove loss when there was no way you could actually have made money from that person? Maybe.


Judgementwolf wrote:


Thfelese wrote:

I torrent legally.


Now when you say legally keep in mind the word torrent is a sad state of affairs.

It's pretty good tech. Just horribly misused.

It doesn't help that you seem to be misusing the word for this thread. Torrenting isn't inherently illegal. I've only used the legal version as well (even then, rarely).
23469 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Iowa >.>
Offline
Posted 7/26/14
pfft.... no *quickly looks away to check download then looks back* I would never do such a thing....
16931 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 7/26/14
Eh .... I have to torrent because there is no such thing a legit provider in my country. Third world country problem, but when i am in US, i am a law abiding foreign student.
13115 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/26/14
Only if you're smart. WALTER WHITE smart.
22129 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 7/26/14
Yes i do
2723 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Europe
Offline
Posted 7/26/14 , edited 7/26/14

Smeelia wrote:
I guess most people know this but since you did ask...
You pay for things because people need to be paid for their work and if they're not then they won't be able to survive and they won't be able to produce things. Also, you're not downloading things for free, it's costing the people who created them.

$500 for 500 songs really isn't that bad. If you worked while listening to the songs you'd put a decent dent in that amount and you don't just have to listen to them once.

Sure, 500 songs in shitty MP3 encoding, I really wanna get ear cancer, why not, let's spend $500 and listen to MP3s 24/7 even when I'm working.


Smeelia wrote:
You're really just making things worse for people by illegally downloading things that you should be paying for (it really is much the same as stealing).

This is totally incorrect and this video for kids is more than enough to explain why:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeTybKL1pM4
Of course, who don't wanna hear won't hear, who don't wanna see won't see.


Smeelia wrote:
Sure, the systems around the world are horrendously flawed and most of the money probably goes to less deserving people but until we get a better system.

How do you get a better system? supporting the same people who made and is actively trying to keep this rotten system up? honestly I don't care about that shitty commercial music, what I listen is not even available in online stores but that's NOT HOW YOU CHANGE THE SYSTEM. If you spend, they think you're good with that, if you don't spend they start to wonder why you don't. This makes the difference.


Smeelia wrote:
I think it's more of a grey area if you couldn't actually get something legally. Can you prove loss when there was no way you could actually have made money from that person? Maybe.

Maybes, there're plenty of maybes for the opposite reasons as well.


Smeelia wrote:
It doesn't help that you seem to be misusing the word for this thread. Torrenting isn't inherently illegal. I've only used the legal version as well (even then, rarely).

Torrent is the most efficient communication protocol ever created, Blizzard and thousands of other companies use it for a reason, you've no idea.

Meanwhile in Europe:
https://imgur.com/a/hmNwQ

Hurray for the legits.
5 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 7/26/14

Steffiekun wrote:

Eh .... I have to torrent because there is no such thing a legit provider in my country. Third world country problem, but when i am in US, i am a law abiding foreign student.


I love this answer.......................................................................... yes, both legally and illegally. legally because I realize that people work hard to produce content; illegally because there are cases where the content isn't marketable in my country. Many times I try to come up with excuses for the illegal content, "Some asked me if I could find it" or something like that.
20192 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / The Heroes Associ...
Offline
Posted 7/26/14 , edited 7/26/14
like one hell of a pirate. (if i really like a show, i buy it when i go away, since its impossible to get legit anime dvd's and blu rays locally)

the country im living in, doesn't have a law against torrent; And if they do, its not enforced what so ever.
12089 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F / CT
Offline
Posted 7/26/14
yes
207 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 7/26/14
Use to but not anymore
81337 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Inside Lorreen's...
Offline
Posted 7/26/14
Since I prefer to do things legally. No.

I don't even go to illegal sites to watch anime on anymore.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.