First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Mentally Ill Protagonists
14255 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 7/30/14
I don't know about diagnosing other people or even yourself when you're not a trained professional. What with the Forer Effect and the fact that a trait could have multiple completely different causes.

To put this into perspective, a professor I had wanted us to explain why soda drinking people would often catch a certain illness when soda does not cause it and a crapton of people fell back on the stereotypical "soda causes it".
47273 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 7/30/14 , edited 7/30/14

ahimmesenpai wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:

I can't help but wonder if all Yanderes suffer from a severe case of bipolar disorder.


More like Antisocial Personality Disorder


Ah, I see. What about tsunderes?
7678 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 7/30/14
Tomoko Kuroki obviously has a mental illness.
14255 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 7/30/14

Aurora3500 wrote:

Considering what happens to most of the main characters in Higurashi.


Even with that few can probably top Fuminori's problem, which causes him to see the whole world as gore filled, bloody, and people as tentacle beasts. As well as seeing an actual tentacle beast as a cute girl. He is also a medical student, so he hides his condition well so no one realizes anything until its too late.

There are some anime protagonists that seem to have mental issues as well which makes them interesting, though it seems more extreme in the VNs.

I thought Saya no Uta was interesting in that it provides an insight for the masses into how some mentally ill people actually feel about other people(obviously without the flesh vision.)
Posted 7/30/14 , edited 7/30/14


This thread has been Yuno approved.
31690 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / California
Offline
Posted 7/30/14

qualeshia3 wrote:


ahimmesenpai wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:

I can't help but wonder if all Yanderes suffer from a severe case of bipolar disorder.


More like Antisocial Personality Disorder


Ah, I see. What about tsunderes?


I want to say it's Histrionic Personality Disorder, but it could also be a combination of that and Paranoid Personality Disorder.
47273 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 7/30/14

ahimmesenpai wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:


ahimmesenpai wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:

I can't help but wonder if all Yanderes suffer from a severe case of bipolar disorder.


More like Antisocial Personality Disorder


Ah, I see. What about tsunderes?


I want to say it's Histrionic Personality Disorder, but it could also be a combination of that and Paranoid Personality Disorder.



Are there any anime characters with bipolar disorder?!
1920 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
103 / Candyland
Offline
Posted 7/30/14
I can't think of any at the moment but Shintaro from Kagerou Project. He had depression after the loss of a friend.
31690 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / California
Offline
Posted 7/30/14 , edited 7/30/14


I don't think so. Bipolar Disorder is when a person feels really depressed to the point of suicide for a period of time, then become manic. Manic meaning that they are very impulsive in their choices without regarding the consequences (i.e. shopping spree without actually having enough money to buy what the individual bought) and stay awake for days to a week or so without feeling tired or sleepy; they're very energized and "party people." Bottom line is, they switch from both extremes of depression to mania and mania to depression. The period of each differs from a person to another. However, to be diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder, the individual needs to have experienced with 3 or more symptoms of mania lasting 1 week or more.

I don't recall meeting with an anime/manga/LN character that showed these symptoms, but my memory is kind of shit so... If you notice any characters with these symptoms, that's awesome. You go glen coco.
2579 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 7/30/14
Tomoko from Watamote.
She's clearly mentally ill, social anxiety maybe?
50405 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 7/30/14
Gaara was really screwed up, but he got better
11523 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / The Void
Offline
Posted 7/30/14

Ink-e wrote:


IndistinctCredence wrote:

You say undiagnosed like they need to be diagnosed (I could be wrong, you may not mean it that way). I feel they're fine as they are, they don't need to be drugged or brainwashed in a half assed attempt to make them "normal" or to try and "fix" them. Honestly, I would call a lot of those traits, not mental illness, and those traits are what makes them interesting and who they are. Obviously I'm not a big fan of the mental health professions.


Narcissism and low self worth are the only ones he listed that shouldn't be considered mental illness.



My problem with identifying mental health disorders is the fact that there is no tangible evidence that any of them exist. It's the core problem with all of psychiatry, all of their diagnosis are essentially what someone decided is abnormal for the mind with nothing tangible to back it up. Psychiatry is a false and totally manufactured field of medicine which has no physical evidence to support any of their "diagnosis".
3669 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Freedomburgerland
Offline
Posted 7/30/14
You should watch Wilfred. That's practically what the show's about.
13951 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / F / Washington, USA
Offline
Posted 7/30/14
I think mental health is a continuum.. but I wouldn't want to cite most anime or tv shows for examples.. a lot of times the authors don't have much experience with actual disorders and so if they are portraying someone as mentally ill it's just a public conception of what that illness means.

I disagree about psychiatry. I fell into a psychotic break and had to have medicine to bring me back out of my 24/7 horror film I was living. It gave me back myself and I have a significant other I've lived with for 9 years now and I have a good life. Without medication the only thing they could have done is put me in a rubber room and feed me three times a day.
47273 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 7/31/14

ahimmesenpai wrote:



I don't think so. Bipolar Disorder is when a person feels really depressed to the point of suicide for a period of time, then become manic. Manic meaning that they are very impulsive in their choices without regarding the consequences (i.e. shopping spree without actually having enough money to buy what the individual bought) and stay awake for days to a week or so without feeling tired or sleepy; they're very energized and "party people." Bottom line is, they switch from both extremes of depression to mania and mania to depression. The period of each differs from a person to another. However, to be diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder, the individual needs to have experienced with 3 or more symptoms of mania lasting 1 week or more.

I don't recall meeting with an anime/manga/LN character that showed these symptoms, but my memory is kind of shit so... If you notice any characters with these symptoms, that's awesome. You go glen coco.


I just wondered if any anime character had such a thing. Thank you though.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.