First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Mentally Ill Protagonists
26543 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/18/14


Have you also noticed society romanticizes not only mental illness, but abuse? A lot.
It drives me up the wall.

For example, in Wolf Girl and Black Prince, the main male is mentally and emotionally abusive towards his female counter-part.
But my God, when he changes his ways just for her, do people get figurative boners.
It drives me crazy when I hear someone say "But s/he's trying to change for me!" And yet, still treats them like crap.
They are not changing for you. You are not saving them by letting them continually hurt you. You don't get a trophy. It is not romantic. It's not a fairy-tale.The only thing you're doing is putting yourself through pain and suffering. And leaving that pain behind is entirely okay. By continuing to stay, you're only telling them that you'll keep on forgiving their transgressions.
Until someone realizes what they're actions are wrong. And actually sees that it is wrong. They won't change. Especially not for the sake of other people. They change for themselves. They change to be better people.

Excuse my rant, I have several friends who continually vent their relationship woes on me. But I can't point out the obvious to them, because they refuse to see it. You know the whole "But she/he's not such a bad person!" "They can be really sweet sometimes!"
Just, ugh.
Ugh.
209 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / Albuquerque,NM
Offline
Posted 11/19/14

kokorowohiraite wrote:

Welcome to the N.H.K. is a good example. Tajuujinkaku Tantei Psycho is a manga that features a protagonist with multiple personality disorder. There's honestly a lot of anime and manga that have protagonists who deal with mental conditions.

There's one particular manga that I just can't think of the name of, but it's filled with Psychological related drama and it really just fucks with you.


was just about to mention welcome to the nhk, hikkimori lifestyle
14642 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / US of A
Offline
Posted 11/19/14
I'd like to add Shiki Tohno from Tsukihime (another Type Moon VN). Let's just say that some routes are his downward spiral into insanity...for reasons that are kind of spoilery

Here's a piece of inner monologue

Posted 11/19/14

wonkywilla wrote:



Have you also noticed society romanticizes not only mental illness, but abuse? A lot.
It drives me up the wall.

For example, in Wolf Girl and Black Prince, the main male is mentally and emotionally abusive towards his female counter-part.
But my God, when he changes his ways just for her, do people get figurative boners.
It drives me crazy when I hear someone say "But s/he's trying to change for me!" And yet, still treats them like crap.
They are not changing for you. You are not saving them by letting them continually hurt you. You don't get a trophy. It is not romantic. It's not a fairy-tale.The only thing you're doing is putting yourself through pain and suffering. And leaving that pain behind is entirely okay. By continuing to stay, you're only telling them that you'll keep on forgiving their transgressions.
Until someone realizes what they're actions are wrong. And actually sees that it is wrong. They won't change. Especially not for the sake of other people. They change for themselves. They change to be better people.

Excuse my rant, I have several friends who continually vent their relationship woes on me. But I can't point out the obvious to them, because they refuse to see it. You know the whole "But she/he's not such a bad person!" "They can be really sweet sometimes!"
Just, ugh.
Ugh.


Some people desire that sort of treatment / drama in their life. Though they may complain about it, they still get some sort of satisfaction or even pleasure from that sort of high and low. Just because you cannot be in that kind of relationship doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it. Unless the relationship is borderline abusive where the other fears for his/her life and safety, it's really nobody's business what goes on there.
12196 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Michigan
Offline
Posted 11/19/14
Well, I think It's a pretty safe to say that Toko Fukawa, from Danganronpa suffers from some massive mental illin's, even before it's revealed that



Despite that, still my favorite character.
26543 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/19/14

xDeadlyDollx wrote:



Some people desire that sort of treatment / drama in their life. Though they may complain about it, they still get some sort of satisfaction or even pleasure from that sort of high and low. Just because you cannot be in that kind of relationship doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it. Unless the relationship is borderline abusive where the other fears for his/her life and safety, it's really nobody's business what goes on there.




While I agree that other people's relationships are none of my business. And that some people get a rise from having dramatic, tumultuous relationships. I'm aware there are many different types of relationships. While it is none of my business, that doesn't make all relationships right. Just like how everyone is free to have an opinion, but that does not mean they are right in having one.

You don't know any of us. Nor what we wish to gain from our relationships.
When someone I am close to, comes to me exasperated, tired, lost, hurt and broken. When they've been controlled and pushed into a tiny box. When no matter what they do or how many things they change about themselves, it isn't good enough. When the person they love makes them feel like they're pathetic, disgusting and worthless. When they've been made to think they deserve to be treated that way. When they don't know what to do anymore. When they don't want to live that way. It then becomes my business, because they've told me. I now know.
When I see it so obviously and can't do anything, it is frustrating. It's frustrating when I see it glorified and justified everywhere.

Frankly, you don't know the situation. Nor do I expect you to understand my views or feelings.
And that is entirely okay. You are you, and I am me.
Posted 11/19/14

wonkywilla wrote:



Good lord.. I don't know why you're being so defensive. I didn't attack you or even say that you're wrong. I simply pointed out that some people actually like / prefer relationships like the one in Wolf Girl and Black Prince. Perhaps at a subconscious level, they crave that in their lives. And I don't see anything wrong with that at all even if other people cannot stand to be in that kind of relationship. I, personally, knew someone like that and in the end, I just decided to keep out and not bother with her because she's honestly not worth the frustration she puts me through. If I offer help and the person chooses to disregard said help, I'm out. And that's why I mentioned that staying out of their business is the best option.

Also, I never said anything about you or anyone you know, by the way. I didn't assume to know nor do I care to know whatever situation you are referring to. I was referring to your view on Wolf Girl and Black Prince, I really don't care about you. (Not in a mean way, just in case you misunderstand me again.)
28939 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Britland
Offline
Posted 11/19/14
Not quite on the same scale as most of these, but I'm fairly certain Kageyama from Haikyu has Asperger's.
22532 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/19/14 , edited 11/19/14
The example which springs to my mind is Kaga Kouko of Golden Time--she has classic Borderline Personality Disorder symptoms, portrayed in a mostly-sympathetic light.

As a contrast, classic yanderes would seem to have extreme (and extremely rare) versions of BPD, portrayed usually in a not-so-sympathetic light.

As for others' asides about the validity and reality of certain disorders, a simple Google search for "fMRI (illness name)" will usually turn up evidence of physical, neurological causes for such things. Technology is marching on, and with real-time MRI, psychiatry is becoming more and more about finding and accommodating or treating for maladaptive differences in brain structure.
26543 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/20/14 , edited 11/20/14

xDeadlyDollx wrote:



Good lord.. I don't know why you're being so defensive. I didn't attack you or even say that you're wrong. I simply pointed out that some people actually like / prefer relationships like the one in Wolf Girl and Black Prince. Perhaps at a subconscious level, they crave that in their lives. And I don't see anything wrong with that at all even if other people cannot stand to be in that kind of relationship. I, personally, knew someone like that and in the end, I just decided to keep out and not bother with her because she's honestly not worth the frustration she puts me through. If I offer help and the person chooses to disregard said help, I'm out. And that's why I mentioned that staying out of their business is the best option.

Also, I never said anything about you or anyone you know, by the way. I didn't assume to know nor do I care to know whatever situation you are referring to. I was referring to your view on Wolf Girl and Black Prince, I really don't care about you. (Not in a mean way, just in case you misunderstand me again.)




I wasn't intentionally being defensive, simply explaining my stance on the scenario. Though, I can see how it could be read in that kind of tone.
If you meant to include only the relationship in the show, you should perhaps have made it clearer.
This is the internet, after all, things can only really be taken at face value.


Have you ever thought that they may subconsciously crave those types of relationships because they've been taught to accept and romanticize them? Is it really okay to tell people its not alright to do that to others. But then market it as romantic and heartwarming?
I personally don't think so.
I mean if someone really wants to change to be better, and have better relationships, go for it. Fantastic! But if they want them to change just to have the title of being their special snowflake, that's just plain selfish. They don't want them to change for themselves. They just want to be like none of their other romantic interests. They want to be put on a pedestal and envied by the others. That hidden agenda is not healthy for them or for their partners.
The latter scenario is what I see so often. Especially in the relationships of younger people. And by God, does it make me want to rip my hair out. I can't personally do anything about it. But watching it, it's just a train-wreck waiting to happen.

Posted 11/20/14

wonkywilla wrote:






I don't really view it as romanticizing an abusive relationship. To be honest, I don't really see it as abusive. Then again, that's just me. I'm not sure if you also read the manga for Wolf Girl and Black Prince, but if you do, you'll see that there are more layers to it than what is plainly obvious. And I guess that's why I like shows like these. Like in any relationship, there will always be 2 sides and if you're a friend, you most likely only get to see one side. However, in a show like Wolf Girl and Black Prince, you get to see the whole picture. I think that's important. It gives people more understanding of the complexities of a relationship. You know, like how everyone has their own baggage and stuff. I don't know. I'm just rambling now, but I hope you can kind of get an understanding of what I'm trying to say.
25020 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Northern Ireland
Online
Posted 11/20/14
Pervasive Developmental Disorder seems to be a common one in anime and just like in real life is often palmed off as being weird, difficult or stupid. Impaired empathy, confused thinking, inability or imparied ability to understand social norms, normal social interaction and how the world around them works and general inability to socialise properly. Any of that sound familiar? I'm sure it does! And they are all hallmarks of PDD; a spectrum disorder that includes autism, aspergers and retts but is not limited to them.

Shiina from Pet Girl is a prime example of someone with PDD as is Koharu from Koharu no Hibi.
20192 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / The Heroes Associ...
Offline
Posted 11/20/14
he jerked off to a comatose girl. Thats just one of his issues.
26543 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/20/14

xDeadlyDollx wrote:


I don't really view it as romanticizing an abusive relationship. To be honest, I don't really see it as abusive. Then again, that's just me. I'm not sure if you also read the manga for Wolf Girl and Black Prince, but if you do, you'll see that there are more layers to it than what is plainly obvious. And I guess that's why I like shows like these. Like in any relationship, there will always be 2 sides and if you're a friend, you most likely only get to see one side. However, in a show like Wolf Girl and Black Prince, you get to see the whole picture. I think that's important. It gives people more understanding of the complexities of a relationship. You know, like how everyone has their own baggage and stuff. I don't know. I'm just rambling now, but I hope you can kind of get an understanding of what I'm trying to say.




No, I understand what you're saying. And I can accept that as your view.

I only used that show since it's the first thing that popped into my head. You know, that's actually on CR. There are much more severe examples I could have used. (50 Shades of Grey, Gossip Girl, Twilight, etc.)

I'm not going to get into the inner-working's of my friends' relationships. I will always get both sides of a story before passing judgment or making a decision. So, I'll just leave it at frustrating. I will however, allow you to have insight into why I find it that way.

I understand that with emotional abuse, someone doesn't always intentionally do it. People can be downright unaware that they're abusive. They could have been raised in that kind of environment or consider it normal behavior. It's not like slapping someone in the face, that's obvious. Emotional and mental manipulation is harder to recognize. And if brought up, it's vehemently denied. There is always a reason or excuse.
I'm guilty of it to a degree. I was raised by abusive parents, mentally and physically. While, I had never physically abused anyone. I knew that was downright wrong. I did however, think emotionally hurting and disregarding people I loved was normal. Until I realized it wasn't. It wasn't something I wanted in my life anymore. It wasn't normal. By pushing away and hurting other's to protect myself, I was only hurting myself in the long run. I was self-sabotaging. Essentially, it wasn't really a good thing.
Now, this doesn't make someone a bad person. It just means the actions they choose to take aren't always the best ones.
It's not like I'm going to go on tumblr and start a boycott of everything and anything I can remotely call offensive. But I do think people should be more mindful of each other and their surroundings. Including the nature of things they consume. Communication and mindfulness are important. That's all.

Do you understand what I'm saying?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.