Bulk Discounts?
5574 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Florida
Offline
Posted 7/31/14
Sorry if this is in the wrong area but not really sure where to put this for community feedback.


I was looking at the membership payment schedules and maybe it is just me but is my math wrong?

1 month = $6.95 US
3 month = $19.95 US ($6.65 per month)
12 month = $59.95 US ($4.9958333...rounds to about $5 per month)

If I save 0.30 per month with the 3 month pass, that is a total discount of about 4.32% per month.
If I save about 1.95 per month with the 12 month pass, that is a total discount of about 28.06% per month.

In a full year, I would save a total of $3.60 US if I went with the 3 month plan instead of paying monthly. That doesn't even pay for 1 month's subscription at any level.

In a full year, I would save a total of $23.45 US if I went with the 12 month plan instead of paying monthly. That savings is a little over a third of the cost of this membership and is more than a 3 month membership.

Now, the big question, is my math right? It seems to me like there is almost no incentive at all to go with the 3 month plan instead of 1 month or 12 month. Is there something included with the 3 month plan that isn't included with the 1 month plan, which I am missing from my math? I am thinking that all the plans provide the same services so would be a fair comparison with the math posted above.
30236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
It doesn't matter.
Offline
Posted 7/31/14 , edited 8/1/14
I had slightly different results.

$6.95 /1m/12m = $83.40
$19.95 /3m/12m = $79.80
$59.95 /12m/12m = $59.95

Using $83.40 as base units per year:
$83.4 = 100% of base price,........$0.00 discount = 0%
$79.80 = 95.68% of base price,.....$3.60 discount = 4.32%
$59.95 = 71.88% of base price,...$23.45 discount = 28.12%

I don't know of any difference in services between the options.
There seems to me to be little reason for 3months subscription to be an option, mabe with the exception of making the 12months sub look better.

note:
The 12month option calims to be $0.17 per day.
This is wrong it is really $0.16 per day
16438 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 7/31/14
Oh my god. Whenever I see math, or that much solving...

Posted 7/31/14
3months option is probably more suitable for people who have fluctuating work hours; for example if a person is in the military and has to be without the computer at certain intervals.
60992 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Alaska
Offline
Posted 7/31/14

GayAsianBoy wrote:

3months option is probably more suitable for people who have fluctuating work hours; for example if a person is in the military and has to be without the computer at certain intervals.


makes sense
48176 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / the great canadia...
Offline
Posted 8/1/14 , edited 8/1/14

tf2pyros wrote:

Oh my god. Whenever I see math, or that much solving...



Pass me some of that shit you're smoking poohbro.
48176 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / the great canadia...
Offline
Posted 8/1/14
I have never found 1 time in my life a subscription that was worth paying tri-monthly. They always just seem to have it there. I usually take a bit of time to decide whether I want to spend the money to go for the full year. At this point I just pay yearly
40013 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / HI
Offline
Posted 8/1/14

tf2pyros wrote:

Oh my god. Whenever I see math, or that much solving...



Haha, im doing the same thing poo bear is doing
Posted 8/1/14
Me no goo at this math thing
5574 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Florida
Offline
Posted 8/1/14

Sir_jamesalot wrote:

I had slightly different results.

$6.95 /1m/12m = $83.40
$19.95 /3m/12m = $79.80
$59.95 /12m/12m = $59.95

Using $83.40 as base units per year:
$83.4 = 100% of base price,........$0.00 discount = 0%
$79.80 = 95.68% of base price,.....$3.60 discount = 4.32%
$59.95 = 71.88% of base price,...$23.45 discount = 28.12%

I don't know of any difference in services between the options.
There seems to me to be little reason for 3months subscription to be an option, mabe with the exception of making the 12months sub look better.

note:
The 12month option calims to be $0.17 per day.
This is wrong it is really $0.16 per day

Ok, so it isn't just me. The numbers all point to the same conclusion.

MrHalligan wrote:

I have never found 1 time in my life a subscription that was worth paying tri-monthly. They always just seem to have it there. I usually take a bit of time to decide whether I want to spend the money to go for the full year. At this point I just pay yearly

I have seen some sites where it isn't a bad option but not nearly as good as the full year. Here, it just seems to be a joke and nothing that CR is really taking seriously. Oh well. I could see it being a tantalizing option if it offered at least $6.95 of savings in a full year, as that would then be a notable difference. However, that isn't the case and we don't even save a full month of subscriber status in just 1 year.

Both of you, thanks for confirming what I suspected.
30236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
It doesn't matter.
Offline
Posted 8/1/14
NP
You must be logged in to post.