First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Concerning Japan's new anti-piracy project
731 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Denver
Offline
Posted 8/7/14
Awhile back I did small study for music piracy. I took the 10 most pirated songs on BitTorrent and looked up several big reviewers for each song (Rolling Stone, Billboard, etc).

Without exception, every song that was pirated was considered "average" or "sub par". What I infer from this is that people might just pirate average stuff - not the really, really good stuff. Also, there were no songs in the list from indie artists, only mega stars.

I assume it's no different with anime. God knows there are plenty of average shows. That's not even touching the reality of the anime market's piss-poor methodology of distribution - extremely limited, with (if I remember right) NO price alterations between here and Japan. Anime and manga aren't expensive because of a limited market - they don't even bother to change the pricing when they export it! Then they strangle their own production base with piss-poor wages and working standards? They sound like perfectly distilled Republicans to me.
Posted 8/7/14 , edited 8/7/14

Hayagriva wrote:

Awhile back I did small study for music piracy. I took the 10 most pirated songs on BitTorrent and looked up several big reviewers for each song (Rolling Stone, Billboard, etc).

Without exception, every song that was pirated was considered "average" or "sub par". What I infer from this is that people might just pirate average stuff - not the really, really good stuff. Also, there were no songs in the list from indie artists, only mega stars.

I assume it's no different with anime. God knows there are plenty of average shows. That's not even touching the reality of the anime market's piss-poor methodology of distribution - extremely limited, with (if I remember right) NO price alterations between here and Japan. Anime and manga aren't expensive because of a limited market - they don't even bother to change the pricing when they export it! Then they strangle their own production base with piss-poor wages and working standards? They sound like perfectly distilled Republicans to me.


As far as manga goes, I think their is a lot of price elasticity in the market. Popular series usually sell somewhere around the $10 mark, but they can afford it cause their price per volume is less as they print and sell more. The less popular series are probably trapped around the same price point cause the willingness of someone to buying it decreases as the price goes up. Content is only worth what people are willing to pay for it.
30000 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
83 / F / Bite the pillow.
Offline
Posted 8/7/14 , edited 8/7/14

VeXxCoRe wrote:

if Anime and Manga are pretty much only going to be available on here and very few sites i've never heard of, CR you need to acquire every anime and manga, and in addition all premium membership content needs to be changed for poor people like myself, add more commercials or something because frankly i dont mind commercials

If you're okay with sitting through commercials/Ads, head over to Hulu: http://www.hulu.com/tv/genres/anime. Whatever CR doesn't have, Hulu usually does. You'll also find a few free shows on Daisuki: http://www.daisuki.net/anime/ All legal streaming stuff on both sites.

Whenever I mention Hulu to people who say they can sit through commercials/Ads, they usually balk. I assume that's because Hulu doesn't allow most people to block their commercials/Ads, but CR doesn't prevent people from using ad blocker software. People who generally don't mind the commercials/Ads on CR are usually blocking them with an ad blocker plug-in and therefore aren't actually sitting through them (not saying you are blocking Ads... but many people seems to be).

There is a way to block commercials/Ads on Hulu with a simple browser plug-in, but it's not well known.

CR can't get every anime/manga, but there are a lot of free, legal streams avaialble -- from Hulu, Funimation, Crunchyroll, Daisuki, and even YouTube (legal stuff). I'm sure I'm missing a few other sites as well.

On a side note... I'm really surprised at the amount of anime Hulu has. Hulu & CR pretty much cover my Ad supported legal streaming needs for now.
3648 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F / Chicagoland ~
Offline
Posted 8/7/14
Just throwing it out there, that out of absolutely everything I'm watching this season, all of it besides three shows (and of course Gaim and Toqger, because they're toku and not anime) are being streamed either by CR or Funimation. The ones that aren't are the really super cutesy kids' shows. And I'm watching quite a bit of stuff, at that.

If you're going to complain about sites not having everything, back up and think about exactly how much it costs for these things to be licensed so that legal sites like CR can get them. I'm sure it's a LOT of money, so it's not like they can get absolutely everything out there. And it's also not CR's fault that Japan is going through and doing this right now, so stop feeling so damn entitled that you have to go to the site and crab at everything in the forums as if CR HAS to get EVERYTHING RIGHT NOW.

Yeah. So. That's my 2 cents.
18435 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / outer wall, level...
Offline
Posted 8/7/14 , edited 8/7/14
im still waiting for main streem manga to get on ebooks. id pay a few dollars for one.
Posted 8/7/14
friend, i am still looking for a job, i rarely get money from anyone and i do not like asking for handouts, so im one of those people who cant get $7, and frankly this isn't a conversation about money or premium memberships, its a post about changing some of the things that people like me can't afford, I can't watch some of the anime i''ve had an eye on, because some of them are premium only, so as i stated early, bounce out of my discussion you prems
3648 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F / Chicagoland ~
Offline
Posted 8/7/14
What anime are even for premium only? I don't see any missing when I log out. You just have to wait a week for the episode, is all. (Yes, I just logged out and looked around to verify)
22068 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / NC
Offline
Posted 8/7/14
I'll be honest with you. Ever since CR started to get shows that I actually wanted to watch and and as fast as speed subs with the translations not terrible I've pretty much kicked my pirating habit...almost There are still shows that are harder to get that I still use "other" sources for.
7297 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / McKinney, TX
Offline
Posted 8/7/14
Every single anime on crunchyroll is free, you just have to wait a week for it.. and if you don't mind sitting through ads that's fine too, even if you use an ad blocker and block all the video ads it's still all free, the only difference between premium and free accounts are watching on 1080p, simulcasts, and no advertisements. If not having though things doesn't bother you then you shouldn't complain about the content crunchyroll has, being a week behind isn't all that bad and if it does bother you there are hundreds of not so legal streaming sites you can find it on.
147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Beside Andromeda...
Offline
Posted 8/7/14
I have done a little research on this. They did introduce a anti-piracy ''enforcement'' law few years back. From what I read, it is japan-based. They don't have jurisdiction outside Japan. The problem is, it's the internet...anti-piracy laws wont work. Just ask PIPA and SOPA, and their opposition.
38 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / England
Offline
Posted 8/10/14

Hayagriva wrote:
I assume it's no different with anime. God knows there are plenty of average shows. That's not even touching the reality of the anime market's piss-poor methodology of distribution - extremely limited, with (if I remember right) NO price alterations between here and Japan. Anime and manga aren't expensive because of a limited market - they don't even bother to change the pricing when they export it! Then they strangle their own production base with piss-poor wages and working standards? They sound like perfectly distilled Republicans to me.

I'm not sure I quite agree with your conclusion, but you have really touched on something I mentioned in my post - pricing & availability.

It's not just about streaming, it's about ownership. A lot of people like to own manga and anime, and have shelves filled with it. But people can't do this if you're charging upwards of $80 for an 8-10 episode boxset of a show, or if it isn't even available. Some of the prices I see, even for English-speaking region releases, are incredibly high. It's not uncommon to see anime boxsets come out at £30/40/60/80 (so about $60+), and browsing CDJapan I saw an 11-episode set on Blu-Ray for about £130 (which is closer to $200). Looking at soundtracks, it can be confusing and/or expensive. Again, using CDJapan, it seems like 3000 Yen is about average for a soundtrack, which puts them at about twice the price of a regular album from the US or UK. This is made even worse by the fact there seems to be no centralised Japanese online store which sells MP3s, so if a CD goes out of print you're, well, out of luck.

Piracy breeds where prices are high or availability is low or restricted. Anime (and, to the same extent, manga) has both of these problems, hence the high piracy rates.
76017 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Central KY.
Offline
Posted 8/10/14

AzazelOfNexium wrote:

umm no.. sorry. but i am not paying to watch commericals. Crunchyroll doesn't need to change anything about their price. the price of 6-13$ a month for all you can watch anime is quite reasonable.

if anything, they could raise the price by a few dollars, and then use that extra profit to buy licenses to stream globally for more shows.

Pirating isn't going to stop either. You're bonkers if you believe the japanese goverment can stop piracy by sending "strongly worded emails" .

Crunchyroll is the only legal streaming site that allows for global anime streaming (at-least on some titles) (i am not counting daisuki, since they only have like 11 shows).

You should be damn well thankful for all the stuff crunchyroll brings to the international anime community especially for the reasonable price of the membership, not to mention all the free content on the site




I agree wholeheartedly with this.
731 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Denver
Offline
Posted 8/10/14

Loerwyn wrote:


Hayagriva wrote:
I assume it's no different with anime. God knows there are plenty of average shows. That's not even touching the reality of the anime market's piss-poor methodology of distribution - extremely limited, with (if I remember right) NO price alterations between here and Japan. Anime and manga aren't expensive because of a limited market - they don't even bother to change the pricing when they export it! Then they strangle their own production base with piss-poor wages and working standards? They sound like perfectly distilled Republicans to me.

I'm not sure I quite agree with your conclusion, but you have really touched on something I mentioned in my post - pricing & availability.

It's not just about streaming, it's about ownership. A lot of people like to own manga and anime, and have shelves filled with it. But people can't do this if you're charging upwards of $80 for an 8-10 episode boxset of a show, or if it isn't even available. Some of the prices I see, even for English-speaking region releases, are incredibly high. It's not uncommon to see anime boxsets come out at £30/40/60/80 (so about $60+), and browsing CDJapan I saw an 11-episode set on Blu-Ray for about £130 (which is closer to $200). Looking at soundtracks, it can be confusing and/or expensive. Again, using CDJapan, it seems like 3000 Yen is about average for a soundtrack, which puts them at about twice the price of a regular album from the US or UK. This is made even worse by the fact there seems to be no centralised Japanese online store which sells MP3s, so if a CD goes out of print you're, well, out of luck.

Piracy breeds where prices are high or availability is low or restricted. Anime (and, to the same extent, manga) has both of these problems, hence the high piracy rates.


Pretty much spot on.

I've seen many animes that while they weren't awful, I wouldn't buy them. There are very few that I WOULD buy, but good luck finding those.

As a recent example for music, I had to go download one song from an OST. Couldn't get it out of my head for days. Sure, I could buy the OST off of Amazon - for 42 dollars! And there were only two copies left!

It was awhile ago, but I had heard that the people in charge of the bigger anime companies were traditionalists and refused to even come up with different pricing models for other countries. Isn't that basic business for exports? How could they not see such a fundamental downward spiral?

I compare the whole topic directly to the music industry because whenever you have an over-saturated market people's tastes become more discriminatory. Escaflowne is considered an important classic, but I could barely get through it. It was "cutting edge" in 1996. Nowadays, almost any anime you want to see there are twenty more just like it off the tops of people's heads. It all starts to look the same after awhile, and people just aren't going to pay anything but small prices for content, except they can't even do that because of distribution.
27904 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Kaguya's Panties
Offline
Posted 8/10/14 , edited 8/10/14

VeXxCoRe wrote:

CR you need to acquire every anime and manga, and in addition all premium membership content needs to be changed for poor people like myself,


Ungrateful brat.
38 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / England
Offline
Posted 8/10/14

Hayagriva wrote:
As a recent example for music, I had to go download one song from an OST. Couldn't get it out of my head for days. Sure, I could buy the OST off of Amazon - for 42 dollars! And there were only two copies left!

It was awhile ago, but I had heard that the people in charge of the bigger anime companies were traditionalists and refused to even come up with different pricing models for other countries. Isn't that basic business for exports? How could they not see such a fundamental downward spiral?


I think... well, we can look at countries like Russia, Brazil and Poland with respect to gaming for another view. Russia is notorious for the amount of piracy that happens there. Why? Because the prices are extremely high relative to other products. The same is true for a lot of less financially successful countries, or ones where entertainment is regulated. I would not be surprised if the piracy rates of censored video games in Germany (i.e. downloading games that aren't censored) were relatively higher than in other countries. It boils down to availability again.

But your point about pricing models is also worth highlighting, but it also has to be married with the topic of relative pricing. If a TV boxset of, say, 20 episodes costs $30, an anime boxset of 8 episodes for $60 is instantly going to look like a much worse deal. You are paying twice as much for under half the content. The demand might be less which accounts for some of the price difference, certainly, but it's emulating a business practice which just isn't supported nor readily accepted in other countries. One actually has to step back and wonder if it's also hurting the Japanese market, as I see a number of shows get cancelled due to low DVD/Blu-Ray sales. But perhaps this is not so much the case, I'm not versed enough in the Japanese economic situation to say.

As I see it, the way to combat piracy, at least in the West, is to increase the availability of shows and to tackle the pricing issues. Manga is relatively well-priced, so I'm okay with that on the whole, but anime is certainly something that needs to be looked at. Doing this will also tackle the issues of, say, Malaysian bootlegs that are on Ebay and other sites.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.