First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply What anime are not available in the US?
13071 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / New Hampshire
Offline
Posted 8/4/14
If there is a topic like this already I apologize and will close shop and leave, head bowed in shame.

I often see users from EU and other parts of the world worrying over what anime doesn't air in their country here on Crunchyroll due to licensing restrictions. I didn't think there was much here restricted from the US, but when I was looking at the RWBY show page a suggestion came up that said there were "zero" videos. Clicking on it I learned it was not available in the USA which was a little bit of a shock to me. So ...

- What shows are not available in the USA that you guys know about?
- What shows are not available elsewhere in the world that you wish you could stream in your country?
- What do you think of the licensing issues CR sometimes has with anime companies?
- And in light of the recent anime pirating crackdown news, what do you think of the current mentality of anime companies and their reluctance to license in so many places, but their reluctance to also allow people to pirate when they can't legally acquire such work?
Posted 8/4/14

And in light of the recent anime pirating crackdown news, what do you think of the current mentality of anime companies and their reluctance to license in so many places, but their reluctance to also allow people to pirate when they can't legally acquire such work?


It's like saying "I love *insert band here* but can't afford to pay *insert monetary amount between $9.99 and $12.99 here* to listen to their music legally". If you have a hobby, and in many cases are as fanatical and dedicated to it as us anime fans can be, what's the big deal with purchasing it or obtaining it legally through means a little harder or financially draining?

As for the not being able to do so, it's a shame, but a reality. I'm not up to snuff on my copyright laws in Japan, nor am I an expert on Japanese exportation guidelines, but I know JAV is "illegal" but still very popular and there's licensing issues that come with anime, and quite often at that. However, there's countless animes that are streaming and not blocked here in the US/Western World, so just bite the bullet and watch those that are available.

I don't like pirating. It doesn't mean I reject it, nor do I naively say "People don't pirate do they...?" because let's face it....A lot of people do. But remember who you're hurting when you do so.
43676 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
60 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 8/4/14 , edited 8/4/14

leolachante wrote: I didn't think there was much here restricted from the US, but when I was looking at the RWBY show page a suggestion came up that said there were "zero" videos. Clicking on it I learned it was not available in the USA which was a little bit of a shock to me. So ...

- What shows are not available in the USA that you guys know about?
That CR still has licenses elsewhere in the world? Not all that many so far, but it is becoming more common with CR obtaining other regions/languages for more of them lately.

/seiken-no-blacksmith
/dance-in-the-vampire-bund
/black-butler-book-of-circus
/selector-infected-wixoss
/no-rin
/daimidaler-prince-vs-penguin-empire
/tokyo-esp
/ping-pong-the-animation
/riddle-story-of-devil
/shonen-hollywood-holly-stage-for-49-

Can't remember if there were more, but I'm not too chuffed about those, because those all at least are on Funi/Hulu. I'd rather they were all in one place, but competition is good, right? The ones that bother me are the shows that no one picked up like Hyouka, Joshiraku, Yakitate!! Japan or (so far) Jinsei, etc, etc., so those are lost to legal means unless someone rescues them later. There is sometimes hope for some shows, like Ben-to, which Funi finally picked up late. Some of them just fall through the cracks, but it's gotten a lot better lately.

Along with the US restricted shows, you may also have run into a show that CR had at one time, and the page is still there with no episodes, but the license may have expired or it may have been acquired by someone else like /moribito. That isn't available anywhere at present, but I do believe Funi has it in "storage" to re-release at some future date...
Similarly:
/eureka-seven
/sacred-seven
/hyakko
/glass-maiden
/shangri-la
/steel-angel-kurumi (Three series)
/steinsgate
/ikkitousen
/deadman-wonderland
/sasameki-koto
/mobile-suit-zeta-gundam
/mobile-suit-gundam-wing
/mobile-suit-gundam
/mobile-suit-gundam-00
/kurokami-the-animation
/code-geass-lelouch-of-the-rebellion
/catman
3614 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Rochester, NY
Offline
Posted 8/4/14

AiYumega wrote:

...

I don't like pirating. It doesn't mean I reject it, nor do I naively say "People don't pirate do they...?" because let's face it....A lot of people do. But remember who you're hurting when you do so.


Considering a certain company and their scumbag legal team have made it impossible to watch my favorite anime here in the US, I KNOW who I am hurting when I watch certain streaming sites

So I gladly flip the double bird to HARMONY GOLD each and every time I watch the newest Macross Series and movies.

Should Harmony Gold stop being such incredible rat bastards, I would gladly watch Macross legally in the USA. But as Harmony Gold blocks Macross 7, Macross Frontier, Macross Zero from coming into the USA, I say F U to Harmony Gold!
54152 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / colorful colorado
Offline
Posted 8/4/14
Nozomi entertainment is releasing Yakitate!! Japan next year. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xs6xzznC9tY
4153 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 8/4/14
Saint Seiya. the hades chapter
76482 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
from the South Bay
Offline
Posted 8/4/14
yeah Macross Frontier....that company ....really killed the potential of the Macross franchise.
75670 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
55 / M / Northeast Ohio, USA
Offline
Posted 8/5/14

leolachante wrote: And in light of the recent anime pirating crackdown news, what do you think of the current mentality of anime companies and their reluctance to license in so many places, but their reluctance to also allow people to pirate when they can't legally acquire such work?

Given how close to the financial edge so many of these companies operate, and the fact that it can literally cost them money to grant a license to a region that does not generate much income, its understandable that some places have limits on the number of free ad-funded streams available.

However, it is really annoying when Crunchyroll gets a series that has no rival bidder in a region, and its not even available to Crunchyroll subscribers. There is no economic sense to that at all ... in many cases, there would be more Crunchyroll subscribers from those countries, if there were more series available to them on Crunchyroll.

If its a country that is just not included in any specific license region by the country, there's no risk of a license conflict if they would just make an "everything else" license region and include those countries for Crunchyroll premium members as a part of their standard Crunchyroll license.
40 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 8/5/14

AiYumega wrote:


And in light of the recent anime pirating crackdown news, what do you think of the current mentality of anime companies and their reluctance to license in so many places, but their reluctance to also allow people to pirate when they can't legally acquire such work?


It's like saying "I love *insert band here* but can't afford to pay *insert monetary amount between $9.99 and $12.99 here* to listen to their music legally". If you have a hobby, and in many cases are as fanatical and dedicated to it as us anime fans can be, what's the big deal with purchasing it or obtaining it legally through means a little harder or financially draining?

As for the not being able to do so, it's a shame, but a reality. I'm not up to snuff on my copyright laws in Japan, nor am I an expert on Japanese exportation guidelines, but I know JAV is "illegal" but still very popular and there's licensing issues that come with anime, and quite often at that. However, there's countless animes that are streaming and not blocked here in the US/Western World, so just bite the bullet and watch those that are available.

I don't like pirating. It doesn't mean I reject it, nor do I naively say "People don't pirate do they...?" because let's face it....A lot of people do. But remember who you're hurting when you do so.


I don't know about you, but I like to actually watch the anime online first before knowing if it's a worthwhile purchase.

If legal streaming like Crunchyroll isn't available, people are going to be looking for other means of watching the show and seeing how good/bad it is.
7505 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Washington
Offline
Posted 8/5/14 , edited 8/5/14
Crunchyroll at the time didn't technically had permission of course they manage to do it with good intentions to expose Anime to the public for people that never seen it before.Anyone that been around longer then me would tell you the story.
8515 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Illinois
Offline
Posted 8/5/14

Nerdworks wrote:
they manage to do it with good intentions to expose Anime to the public for people that never seen it before


I'm sure all the revenue gained from exploiting royalty free pirated content had nothing to do with it
7505 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Washington
Offline
Posted 8/5/14

vangosroth wrote:


Nerdworks wrote:
they manage to do it with good intentions to expose Anime to the public for people that never seen it before


I'm sure all the revenue gained from exploiting royalty free pirated content had nothing to do with it


They actually help promote Time of Eve which didn't hurt it because it was independent project.
3493 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Near a peach tree.
Offline
Posted 8/18/14
Black Jack is one that has never been licensed in the US or even dubbed in English.
43676 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
60 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 8/18/14

Sephigi wrote:Black Jack is one that has never been licensed in the US or even dubbed in English.
Not sure what you're saying? CR has the license currently, and it's still available here: /black-jack
Not dubbed, though, as you say.
3493 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Near a peach tree.
Offline
Posted 8/18/14 , edited 8/18/14
When I meant licensed, I also meant if it was sold in media by companies like Funimation.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.