First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Should you switch cars?
11728 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 1/31/08
Pretty much in the description, talk about your current car here and probably your future car if you were to have the chance to buy it. (Be realistic...)

Currently I'm driving a 2000 Toyota Corolla CE(which is also my mom's car). This fun car gets me everywhere. Except up real steep inclines, which this car seems to slow and stall a bit... Awesome car to drive, no real modifications since it's not really my car..

My choice for an actual car that I would like to own is probably the 1988 Toyota Corolla GT-S. I recently found one in some ad. For about $1650CAD, well maintained, 200K+ km, new tires, exhaust, rotors, calipers, pads, a bit of rust behind the bumpers and underside. it sure sounds a nice deal... but I have a feeling insurance is going to cost more than the car... 0.o... The guy is even throwing in a car freshener ~Should I get it?
Posted 1/31/08
depends how good it is...
hmm... you should look at it first.. its old though.... hmmm
Posted 2/1/08

TheTravelingSword wrote:

Pretty much in the description, talk about your current car here and probably your future car if you were to have the chance to buy it. (Be realistic...)

Currently I'm driving a 2000 Toyota Corolla CE(which is also my mom's car). This fun car gets me everywhere. Except up real steep inclines, which this car seems to slow and stall a bit... Awesome car to drive, no real modifications since it's not really my car..

My choice for an actual car that I would like to own is probably the 1988 Toyota Corolla GT-S. I recently found one in some ad. For about $1650CAD, well maintained, 200K+ km, new tires, exhaust, rotors, calipers, pads, a bit of rust behind the bumpers and underside. it sure sounds a nice deal... but I have a feeling insurance is going to cost more than the car... 0.o... The guy is even throwing in a car freshener ~Should I get it?


well if you know how to rebuild the engine than I say yes, its worth it. If you are not automechanically inclined than have fun because you will have alot of problems in the future. Thats alot of km and if the person who owned it didn't sanddown the rust than they probably didn't maintain the engine to well.

Also rust isn't a big problem unless its eaten through or is on the inside. You can just sand it down with a piece of sandpaper and paint over it. anyways, if the owner got all that "new" stuff for the vehicle, than it would be more than what they are selling it for, considering a junker company/junk yard would pay $200-1000 as they could part it out.

So if they got new modifications for the car, it is probably low quality stuff and you are getting ripped. This is just my opinion and I don't know if people here agree with it.
Posted 2/1/08
i agree i was personally thinking about getting a 2002 Audi A4 Quattro with 200K+ and i told myself, "im gonna have to overhaul that engine if i but that car"
11728 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 2/1/08
Thanks for info GreekCotan Gonna get a closer look at the car when I have time...


westco3894 wrote:

i agree i was personally thinking about getting a 2002 Audi A4 Quattro with 200K+ and i told myself, "im gonna have to overhaul that engine if i but that car"


0.o really 200k already? My mom's car only has 140k on it... and she drives it every day to work.

Posted 2/1/08
ya i think the salesman who owns it street races it and stuff cause its got a new exhaust CAI and a completely different suspension setup
1491 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Nebraska
Offline
Posted 2/1/08
Hmm...88
Check to see if the car is carbuerated or fuel injected.
I don't know how carb. toyotas are, but if their anything like Honda...its going to be hell to work on. Vacuum tube mazes.
1491 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Nebraska
Offline
Posted 2/1/08
If it is carb. and you plan on working on it yourself, I'd turn the offer down...ahaha trust me, halfway through, you're gonna want to kill yourself...
I refuse to work on any Hondas 90 and older because of a very bad experience like that.
11728 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 2/1/08
I've worked on previous engines, 1992 Jetta, 1994 Jetta, 1989?? Hyundai ??, and a 1991 Camry with help from friends of course... What kind of idiot would put en engine together by themselves? Sure it would be more to my liking, but probably by the time I manage to clean and replace parts, I'd go mad.
1491 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Nebraska
Offline
Posted 2/1/08
Are you talking to me?
Cause I sorta have to rebuild it myself...it's my job.
10367 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / M / CA
Offline
Posted 2/1/08

TheTravelingSword wrote:

I've worked on previous engines, 1992 Jetta, 1994 Jetta, 1989?? Hyundai ??, and a 1991 Camry with help from friends of course... What kind of idiot would put en engine together by themselves? Sure it would be more to my liking, but probably by the time I manage to clean and replace parts, I'd go mad.


You're entitled to your opinion much like everyone else, however, putting an engine together makes you decide on what parts you want on there right? Since you've mentioned that you worked on engines yourself (with assistance of course), then you can somewhat relate to the difficulties involved in that right? But I'm sure you didn't just slap parts together & called it a day as far as the engine's concerned huh? Betcha you did pick the parts that you wanted on there though. Now, I'm not that mechanically inclined myself, but I do get assistance from my older brother who owns his own auto shop & I'm lucky enough to say that I can always ask him for help...like the time when we rebuilt the engine on my Acura CLS to accomodate future plans for a S/C from Comptech...just my two cents there partner...
killar 
69283 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 2/1/08
Hell. No.

Turn the offer down, save up for till around $2k and get something thats worth it.
7801 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Pinsnotch2
Offline
Posted 2/1/08
lol...88 corolla that is pure shit just save up for a 300zx with twin turbo they're only like 5,000$ and are faster than 350zs and can drift too since you're probly looking for something like that which is a complete waste i think
83434 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / CA, U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 2/1/08
I wouldn't techincally switch my car (because it saves me a LOT of money on gas), but I would LOVE to get a Supra (mostly), GT-R (fiance wants to get it later), or the GS 350 (been in love with it for a few years now). And I am serious about it. Not going to get a new car until I transfer to another school and move AWAY from the family.

Hmm. . .a '88 Corolla. Is that the small boxy car that drifts? I remember seeing a small Toyota (I am assuming that was the Corolla) drifting at one of the events I went to and did that guy have some skills handling it.

Hmm. . .when it comes to buying a used car, it is good to have a buddy who knows about cars check it out with/for you. So just to be on the safe side that it is a real legit working car. Hmm, rust on the car. If the owner actually love the car, they would have taken care of it a long time ago. Me, I wouldn't buy it, unless you are one of those guys who actually know how to put a car together. Otherwise, keep shopping around.
1108 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 2/1/08
It does not sound reasonable at all. $1650 for an old model car with 200k km is just out outrageous. The price of that car should be way below the $1000 range. The age and milage plays a big factor in its value. I just think the mark up when higher because of the drifting rave. I remembered when 240sx were dirt cheap and when difting broke out they wanted way too much for what they were worth.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.