First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
U.S. Taco Co. - New chain from company that owns Taco Bell
37527 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 8/7/14 , edited 8/7/14
So, the company that owns Taco Bell company is starting up a new restaurant chain that wants to compete with Chipotle, only that it isn't just like Chipotle. The menu will center around tacos, fries, and shakes. It seems they plan for many locations to have beer, wine, and milk shakes with booze in them, even.

Read on...


Executives from Taco Bell are launching a fast-casual concept in Huntington Beach, Calif., dubbed U.S. Taco Co. Though the concept was created by Taco Bell execs, it will bear little resemblance to Taco Bell.

Taco Bell CEO Greg Creed said the idea started to take shape about a year ago, after the company did some routine consumer-segmentation research. The company found "a number of segments that provide growth for Taco Bell." One of those segments is made up of consumers who are willing to spend a little more for higher-quality ingredients and better atmosphere beyond what the traditional fast-food chain offers.

"We could spend time and money trying to get these people interested in Taco Bell," he said, but they would probably never become regular Taco Bell patrons. "We thought, maybe there's a new brand we can create to address this opportunity," he said, adding that the chain "has the talent and the money" to explore new concepts.

And so U.S. Taco Co., with logo art reminiscient of Day of the Dead sugar skulls, was born. The first location is slated to open up in the next few months (construction is just beginning), and the menu's focus will be on tacos, fries and shakes.

The giant player in the Mexican fast-casual concept is Chipotle. It and many other players in this category offer burritos and standard Mexican proteins such as steak, chicken and carnitas.



Offerings include spins on various regional American food such as a taco inspired by a Philly cheesesteak called Brotherly Love, or one inspired by Southern fried chicken called Winner Winner. Mr. Jenkins said that he hopes the food will lend itself to Instagram photography -- something that Taco Bell's social media teams has focused heavily on lately.

Toppings offered on the tacos can also be placed on an order of fries. And though the Huntington Beach location won't offer booze because of zoning ordinances, a second location in the Los Angeles area is in the works and will offer beer, wine and even boozy milkshakes like the Mexican Car Bomb, which includes vanilla ice cream, tequila caramel sauce, chocolate flakes and Guinness stout.

"The menu is simple and we wanted it limited to be focused on tacos, fries and shakes," said Rene Piscoitti, executive chef at U.S. Taco Co. and a Taco Bell executive, adding that the chain has already developed a number of tacos well beyond what will be offered at first. "We're starting with 10 tacos but we have an opportunity for more -- we have 20 more in queue we could pull in anytime."







Edit - For Clarification: The article says it really just has loose ties to the Taco Bell franchise and, well, this new franchise is its own thing and wants to compete with Chipotle. As you can see in the picture, that taco looks better than anything from Taco Bell, and looks a lot like a food item you'd get at Chipotle. It is said to be a restaurant chain of "fast-casual" restaurants, which is what chains like Chipotle and Panera Bread are.
37527 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 8/7/14 , edited 8/8/14
Man, Demolition Man saw into the future...








I mean, Arnold Schwarzenegger became governor of California, even, not a far cry from Arny becoming President of the United States.

So...how long before we start using the 3 seashells instead of toilet paper?
35568 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 8/7/14

Dubnoman wrote:

So...how long before we start using the 3 seashells instead of toilet paper?


They'd eventually have to discontinue the robots issuing tickets for swearing. If you put one of those around me it'd run out of paper in about an hour, then grind its gears until it eventually either ran out of power or started a fire.
37527 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 8/7/14

BlueOni wrote:


Dubnoman wrote:

So...how long before we start using the 3 seashells instead of toilet paper?


They'd eventually have to discontinue the robots issuing tickets for swearing. If you put one of those around me it'd run out of paper in about an hour, then grind its gears until it eventually either ran out of power or started a fire.



If you use the tickets from the machine as TP, you'll get a paper cut on your anus, and then you'll swear, and then there will be more tickets issued...best to just use the 3 seashells.
35568 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 8/7/14

Dubnoman wrote:

If you use the tickets from the machine as TP, you'll get a paper cut on your anus, and then you'll swear, and then there will be more tickets issued...best to just use the 3 seashells.


Well, fuck.

*Gzzzt*

Damn it.

*Gzzzt*

Oh, come off it you twat!

*Gzzt*

...wanker.

*Gzzzt*
37527 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 8/7/14 , edited 8/7/14
In 2024, there may be machines that give you tickets when you swear, and we may use the three seashells instead of t.p., but at least there should be a good amount of U.S. Taco Co. joints by then...
35568 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 8/7/14
I don't know. Taco Bell has a pretty bad reputation as far as food quality is concerned. I can't see them competing with dine-in restaurants like Chipotle unless their quality standards for US Taco Co. are dramatically higher.
37527 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 8/7/14
The article says it really just has loose ties to the Taco Bell franchise and, well, this new franchise is its own thing and wants to compete with Chipotle. As you can see in the picture, that taco looks better than anything from Taco Bell, and looks a lot like a food item you'd get at Chipotle. It is said to be a restaurant chain of "fast-casual" restaurants, which is what chains like Chipotle and Panera Bread are.
45489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 8/7/14

BlueOni wrote:

I don't know. Taco Bell has a pretty bad reputation as far as food quality is concerned. I can't see them competing with dine-in restaurants like Chipotle unless their quality standards for US Taco Co. are dramatically higher.


I wouldn't say that. Me and the other Eldritch Abominations eat there regularly, we're just fine.
35568 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 8/7/14 , edited 8/7/14
Sure, I gathered all that. I even noted that they had to bolden that the franchise's installations will bear little resemblance to Taco Bell restaurants. That was pretty hilarious, they're painfully aware of their own bad reputation. Or was that your own emphasis?

However, the article states that the restaurant's concept was imagined by Taco Bell execs, that analysts employed by Taco Bell's executives conducted the consumer research to see if the idea was viable, that the menu was developed by Taco Bell executive chefs, and that Taco Bell's marketing team did all the advertising art. It's true, the Taco Bell franchise itself is only loosely affiliated with US Taco Co., and in fact the people behind US Taco Co. would prefer you make no connection between the two at all. But make no mistake: the exact same people behind Taco Bell are behind US Taco Co., and that raises concerns about their corporate attitude with reference to quality in their restaurants. This is a company which is well known for doing just enough to get by, and not a single bit more. They've earned a healthy bit of skepticism.
35568 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 8/7/14

Phersu wrote:

I wouldn't say that. Me and the other Eldritch Abominations eat there regularly, we're just fine.


A non-Euclidian stomach will do that for you.
5992 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 8/7/14
If it tastes better than King Taco, I'm all for it.
37527 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 8/7/14 , edited 8/7/14

BlueOni wrote:

Sure, I gathered all that. I even noted that they had to bolden that the franchise's installations will bear little resemblance to Taco Bell restaurants. That was pretty hilarious, they're painfully aware of their own bad reputation. Or was that your own emphasis?

However, the article states that the restaurant's concept was imagined by Taco Bell execs, that analysts employed by Taco Bell's executives conducted the consumer research to see if the idea was viable, that the menu was developed by Taco Bell executive chefs, and that Taco Bell's marketing team did all the advertising art. It's true, the Taco Bell franchise itself is only loosely affiliated with US Taco Co., and in fact the people behind US Taco Co. would prefer you make no connection between the two at all. But make no mistake: the exact same people behind Taco Bell are behind US Taco Co., and that raises concerns about their corporate attitude with reference to quality in their restaurants. This is a company which is well known for doing just enough to get by, and not a single bit more. They've earned a healthy bit of skepticism.



I don't expect their meat to be as good as the meat from Chipotle (where much of it is cage-free and free of antibiotics and growth hormones), but if they want to compete with Chipotle, they have to offer meat and other types of food that is much better than the stuff at Taco Bell, and at least close to Chipotle's level of quality ingredients.

And I think they will do this. Because if they don't intend to do that, then they are crazy to try and compete with Chipotle by offering food that isn't all that close in quality to its food.
35568 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 8/7/14 , edited 8/7/14

Dubnoman wrote:

I don't expect their meat to be as good as the meat from Chipotle (where much of it is cage-free and free of antibiotics and growth hormones), but if they want to compete with Chipotle, they have to offer meat and other types of food that is much better than the stuff at Taco Bell, and at least close to Chipotle's level of quality ingredients.

And I think they will do this. Because if they don't intend to do that, then they are crazy to try and compete with Chipotle by offering food that isn't all that close in quality to its food.


Yep, and this will certainly be a chance for them to redeem themselves. I'm not saying that can't happen, or that I won't eat there at least once if I'm ever around one. I'm saying they've a hole to dig themselves out of. It seems they're aware of that and taking the problem seriously, so this might turn out to be a very good thing.
45489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 8/7/14

BlueOni wrote:

A non-Euclidian stomach will do that for you.


I know. Isn't it awesome?
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.