Created by lolitaninja
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Favorite type of "dere"
17299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Prescott, AZ
Offline
Posted 8/8/14 , edited 8/8/14

TrueGoober wrote:


Rippedyanu1 wrote:

I can't stand the Rie-Tsunderes, they have no depth to them.


I'm guessing you haven't seen Toradora?


I've seen Toradora and quite frankly Tora wasn't that good of a Tsundere UNTIL they revealed why she acts the way she does, even then the show still falls short of what it should have been because it felt forced a lot of the times, especially that ending but that is for a completely different thread.

When I refer to a Rie-Tsundere, I'm talking blatant violence and no depth to the point she is acting like a tsundere for the sake of being tsundere. Aka "Shut up, shut up, shut up" or "It's not like I like you or anything..." "I'm not doing this for you, it's just...." (looking at you Shana and Louise, I want to throttle you both) and about 100 other lines that show up basically as a flag saying "Found the Tsundere! It's right freaking here". Hell even Tora's actions in the series are this way but it's one of the few shows that show why she acts the way she does and makes it believable. I can't even call Asuka from NGE a Rie-Tsundere because she has way more depth and character development as well. Her and Tora are definitely Type-A's, but they are done in a way that makes them characters not cardboard cutouts of a archetype. But as far as I know, while those two are very much poster-child's for the Tsundere archetype, they are the only ones that were done well out of 200+ shows I've scene so far.

Rie-Tsundere's as a whole are boring and normally are done in a way that sucks to watch and is really only there because "Every harem needs a Tsundere". Very, very few are well done in a way that makes them enjoyable to watch.


BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

I might be in the minority for this, but while I don't mind different dere characters, I prefer them not to be so. Most creators use 'dere' archetypes of ways as saying 'This character will act this way all the time and that'll be them sorted', it doesn't drive them to flesh out the character outside of maybe a flashback or being a childhood friend. Humans are complicated creatures in the sense that we don't really act one way all the time, and as such it can make characters seem a bit unconvincing. Like I say, I don't mind them, but given the choice I'd prefer a character that can't be classified due to acting one way.


You, I like you. I gotta agree with you 100% on that. Character > Archetypes. I'm fine with creators using an archetype as a starting point but the moment you stall out on developing a character with a solid background and more complex interaction is the moment I start to lose faith in a show because characters make the show, not archetypes. In that vein of thought it's why Golden Time was more enjoyable than Toradara, we had characters in Golden Time, not archetypes (Ami and Ryuuji were literally the only characters in the show, everyone else was an archetype, even Tora).
40319 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Free World Jail
Offline
Posted 8/8/14 , edited 8/8/14
^Taiga...but you're right.
29898 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Louisiana
Offline
Posted 8/8/14

Rippedyanu1 wrote:


TrueGoober wrote:


Rippedyanu1 wrote:

I can't stand the Rie-Tsunderes, they have no depth to them.

I'm guessing you haven't seen Toradora?

[Clearing up misunderstandings, plus a fair argument]

Alright I guess we're basically on the same page then lol.

I dunno though, I love almost every tsundere I come by, even when they're just annoying brats. I think they're my favorite of the -dere's. Every other -dere has to be done the right way for me to like it, but I like even the most Kirino-level tsunderes lol. But yeah, Asuka and Taiga are still my favorites (excluding supreme waifu Misaka Mikoto, but that's another matter).
17735 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
55 / M /
Offline
Posted 8/8/14
Okay my first reply disappeared into the either. Here is take 2. My 2nd favorite character from The Irregular at Magic High School seems to mix tsundere and mischievousness in equal parts.

Chiba Erika
17299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Prescott, AZ
Offline
Posted 8/8/14 , edited 8/8/14

TrueGoober wrote:


Rippedyanu1 wrote:


TrueGoober wrote:


Rippedyanu1 wrote:

I can't stand the Rie-Tsunderes, they have no depth to them.

I'm guessing you haven't seen Toradora?

[Clearing up misunderstandings, plus a fair argument]

Alright I guess we're basically on the same page then lol.

I dunno though, I love almost every tsundere I come by, even when they're just annoying brats. I think they're my favorite of the -dere's. Every other -dere has to be done the right way for me to like it, but I like even the most Kirino-level tsunderes lol. But yeah, Asuka and Taiga are still my favorites (excluding supreme waifu Misaka Mikoto, but that's another matter).


A certain Scientific Railgun and A Certain Magical Index are still on my to-watch list but I have to get around to them. I dunno I just can't stand blatant cutout archetypes, even if it isn't strictly for Tsundere's (although these are the ones most overplayed in the cutout department) it holds true with all the -deres. Yandere's sometimes pull it off really well because they are given a great backstory of neglect and abuse (Yuno Gasai nailed the Yandere and I love for it even if she scares the shit out me) but with characters that are Yan or Tsun or Kuu for the sake of being so drive me up a wall. Out of all the archetypes I have seen, the two that get the most development overall are the Kuudere's and the Dandere's so those tend to be my favorite along with the Osananajimi (childhood-friend) which never win save for once in a blue moon .


GoldTStar wrote:

^Taiga...but you're right.


You got me, I put that show so far in the back of my head I can't even remember any of the names except Ryuuji and Ami since those are the only two that stuck out to me, everyone else either bored me to tears or made we want to smack them upside the head.
10518 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Behind You
Offline
Posted 8/8/14
Kuudere's are the best
20192 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / The Heroes Associ...
Offline
Posted 8/8/14
dandere i guess. i like girls who are not always all over the place or "clingy" i like to be a lone wolf 70% of the time. so a shy girl who usually keeps to herself as-well would be my best bet at happiness.
63526 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Colorado
Online
Posted 8/8/14
Tsunderes probably have to be my favorite.


BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

I might be in the minority for this, but while I don't mind different dere characters, I prefer them not to be so. Most creators use 'dere' archetypes of ways as saying 'This character will act this way all the time and that'll be them sorted', it doesn't drive them to flesh out the character outside of maybe a flashback or being a childhood friend. Humans are complicated creatures in the sense that we don't really act one way all the time, and as such it can make characters seem a bit unconvincing. Like I say, I don't mind them, but given the choice I'd prefer a character that can't be classified due to acting one way.


I agree with this to an extent as well. I don't mind dere's at all, but I also like characters that have more complexity to them and feel more real. To this day, I think Taiga from Toradora will be the most believable tsundere in any anime, ever.
81337 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Inside Lorreen's...
Offline
Posted 8/8/14
Tsun or Yan -dere get the M blood boiling. So that's my choice!
11415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Eng Land
Online
Posted 8/8/14

LoomyTheBrew wrote:

Tsunderes probably have to be my favorite.


BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

I might be in the minority for this, but while I don't mind different dere characters, I prefer them not to be so. Most creators use 'dere' archetypes of ways as saying 'This character will act this way all the time and that'll be them sorted', it doesn't drive them to flesh out the character outside of maybe a flashback or being a childhood friend. Humans are complicated creatures in the sense that we don't really act one way all the time, and as such it can make characters seem a bit unconvincing. Like I say, I don't mind them, but given the choice I'd prefer a character that can't be classified due to acting one way.


I agree with this to an extent as well. I don't mind dere's at all, but I also like characters that have more complexity to them and feel more real. To this day, I think Taiga from Toradora will be the most believable tsundere in any anime, ever.


I agree. Taiga is the tsundere I've liked more than any other, and the one I hold as an example of how they should be done.
24914 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / California
Offline
Posted 8/8/14 , edited 8/8/14
Tsundere



Need I say more??
4153 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 8/8/14 , edited 8/8/14
tsundere




61518 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/8/14
kuudere, desu.
52869 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CA
Offline
Posted 8/8/14
Ofc Tsundere is winning.
40319 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Free World Jail
Offline
Posted 8/8/14

cay032692 wrote:

Ofc Tsundere is winning.


You even surprised anymore lmao

Masochism. That's all i can think of to actually like a character who physically hurts and verbally abuses you.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.