First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Are we as anime fans through CR really helping?
8427 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/14/14
I'm paying for the service I've always wanted and showing voting for it because of that.

I've always wanted a subscription-based simulcast service that streams about as well as netflix.
Posted 8/14/14
I suppose so.

but... if a show failed to gain success in japan it will most likely fail internationally as well. there are always exceptions to the rule... I can't really think of any examples at the moment. I think Trigun is one of the exceptions, it did well internationally and not so well domestically.


I hope they make a second season for Love Stage!!, it seems to be really popular on CR. at 7th spot at the moment, pretty good for a yaoi anime. makes me wonder if some straight men have been watching this I laugh on the inside every time I think about straight guys watching this when it comes to the graphic scenes.
63526 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Colorado
Offline
Posted 8/14/14

Brakkis wrote:

Whether or not Crunchyroll is a factor in an anime getting another season or not, I do not know. I do know we help the industry by using Crunchyroll, which is better than pirating. When I was debating on getting a subscription to the site or not I came across this article and made up my mind.

http://otakujournalist.com/where-your-crunchyroll-dollars-really-go-an-interview-with-the-ceo/


Damn that was a good read. This one really caught my eye:


Seventh Style’s blog posts assumes that Crunchyroll splits your subscription payment between all 400+ shows it offers. But the reality is far more interesting than that.

“If you watch just Naruto, your subscription money goes toward supporting that show. If you watch more than one show, the money is split proportionately among those shows depending on which ones you watch the most,” said Gao.

So if you’re watching Kill La Kill 75 percent of the time and Golden Time the other 25 percent, that means Kill La Kill’s publisher gets 75 percent of your money. On Crunchyroll, the more anime you watch, the more publishers you support.


Very cool!
63526 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Colorado
Offline
Posted 8/14/14

evilotakuneko wrote:

Not as much as if you buy the DVDs.

Not near as much as if you buy the merch.

(For Americans) It's kind of like tossing a quarter--or even a dollar--in the pot when Salvation Army has their bell-ringers out during christmas. Sure you're helping, a little, but not much.

So don't just watch. Buy.


That's not necessarily true.

By having a CR subscription, definitely helps as much as buying a bluray, arguably, it might even be better.

With a bluray, your money gets divided up the provider like Funimation or Amazon and then what's left goes back to the publisher. With CR, we're paying the companies directly.
35021 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 8/14/14

ScandalStroll wrote:

Who is not here for anime?


I'm just here for the food. There's food, right? The flyer said there would be pizza.

We're helping bolster our regional markets at the very least by consuming the anime and manga that we do through CR, and if a substantial enough foreign market is determined to be present (as has been the case in North America) then that would be expected to facilitate the localization of more series. As for determining whether or not a series obtains additional volumes or seasons, of that I'm more skeptical that foreign markets actually have a significant amount of swing save for in particularly exceptional cases.

The data may ultimately show me to be wrong, but that's my best guess: foreign markets impact localization and distribution decisions more strongly than they impact production decisions.
13652 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
こ ~ じ ~ か
Offline
Posted 8/14/14

LoomyTheBrew wrote:
With a bluray, your money gets divided up the provider like Funimation or Amazon and then what's left goes back to the publisher. With CR, we're paying the companies directly.


Not directly. CR is still a middleman, and there's much less money to divvy up. Disc sales have a higher margin. Merch has the highest of all.

Streaming helps only to the extent that it either reduces piracy and supplements disc sales--that is, revenue over and above what would've been earned anyway.

A year of CR is 60 bucks. 60 bucks buys me 1.5-2 box sets. I've already watched a couple series to completion and if I finish the five simulcasts I'm following, that contribution's being spread mighty thin even without considering the next season or taking out CR's cut.
55915 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / NY
Offline
Posted 8/14/14 , edited 8/14/14
Yes, yes we are helping. Several production committees in Japan do look at streaming numbers on CR, among other anime streaming sites, to get an idea of how well received the anime is abroad. The author of the Log Horizon LNs even said that CR viewership is influential in getting more anime green-lit. The more people who watch the streams on legal sites and subscribe, the more content Japan will allow to be licensed by CR, and the more revenue CR will have to buy more anime streaming licenses. Economics 101: simple supply and demand. Proportional to Japanese fans, however, it is not quite the same impact. But an impact that does make a difference with enough views/sales of a title nonetheless.

Since no one has linked this yet, I'll link to Justin Sevakis' article, titled "The Anime Economy." Some of it may be a bit outdated given it was written in 2012, but I imagine it is still pretty close to what's happening now:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2012-03-05

Note: there are 3 parts, and parts 2 and 3 are linked at the top of the article. Part 3 talks about CR and other streaming sites, specifically. Also, of note, it was recently reported that CR has over 300,000 subscribers, so that 70,000 number mentioned in the article is out of date.


Mo' Money


- Quote from Justin Sevakis (The Anime Economy - Part 3: Digital Pennies)
17761 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / outer wall, level...
Offline
Posted 8/14/14
i think CR has more of an impact generating fans for anime than monitary value.

lets run some math with numbers i pulled out of my butt.

tho when i ran the math, 200k users at 7 us each was 1.4m/month. cr say it reaches 10m views world wide.
even if 5% got to the production company, that 840k a year. divide that up by, say 24 (number of show watched in a year)
and you total out at 35k/year

not alot when you figure an anime episode used to cost 200k each.

but then again, cr helps diversify the market, as well keep intrest alive.

8427 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/14/14

ScandalStroll wrote:

Who is not here for anime?


there is a service for dramas too.
63526 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Colorado
Offline
Posted 8/14/14

sonic720 wrote:

Yes, yes we are helping. Several production committees in Japan do look at streaming numbers on CR, among other anime streaming sites, to get an idea of how well received the anime is abroad. The author of the Log Horizon LNs even said that CR viewership is influential in getting more anime green-lit. The more people who watch the streams on legal sites and subscribe, the more content Japan will allow to be licensed by CR, and the more revenue CR will have to buy more anime streaming licenses. Economics 101: simple supply and demand. Proportional to Japanese fans, however, it is not quite the same impact. But an impact that does make a difference with enough views/sales of a title nonetheless.

Since no one has linked this yet, I'll link to Justin Sevakis' article, titled "The Anime Economy." Some of it may be a bit outdated given it was written in 2012, but I imagine it is still pretty close to what's happening now:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2012-03-05

Note: there are 3 parts, and parts 2 and 3 are linked at the top of the article. Part 3 talks about CR and other streaming sites, specifically. Also, of note, it was recently reported that CR has over 300,000 subscribers, so that 70,000 number mentioned in the article is out of date.


Mo' Money


- Quote from Justin Sevakis (The Anime Economy - Part 3: Digital Pennies)


Good read.

Also his numbers were with 70,000 subscribers? And publishers in Japan were still happy about it. Now it's more than quadrupled those numbers. I think CR is looking pretty good with 300,000 subscribers.
20192 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / The Heroes Associ...
Offline
Posted 8/14/14
yes. we help quite alot. CR pays the anime companies based on the views of each anime. So if you view a massive amount of shows from SHAFT. SHAFT gets a majority of the revenue from your contribution.
22233 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 8/14/14
It's not much, but it's something at least. I'll buy a couple shows a year, but I almost always stream before I buy. I'm glad that my money goes to support the shows I watch, so that the views on CR directly influence the amount of money a show makes.
11916 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Charlotte, NC
Offline
Posted 8/14/14
It would be silly to think that viewership wouldn't have any impact on the success of any show. Whether an import market like ours can make an entire series sink or swim is questionable- but large viewership absolutely makes a difference. It also determines which shows are released on video with English dubbing.

Let me tell you all what DOESN'T make an impact: Your rating of the show in the forums or review.
This is something I think a lot of kids really don't understand. What little information about its popularity the Japanese execs actually get- about the only thing they actually care about are did they sell enough licenses and how big was it, and little else. They utterly DO NOT CARE if you wrote a one star review and told other people on Crunchyroll to never watch it. Not only do they not care, they don't even know. They don't know and don't care what a 17 yearold on the internet in the US says about it, and never will. All they care about is selling licenses for MONEY. Nothing else.
4153 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 8/14/14
nope, just japanese affect the franchise i guess

the perfect example is saint seiya

saint seiya the lost canvas, pretty popular in the west, cancelled because japanese gave 0 fucks.

saint seiya: omega. shit in the west but popular in japan, gets around 100 episodes
Elvick 
10668 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 8/14/14

GayAsianBoy wrote:

I suppose so.

but... if a show failed to gain success in japan it will most likely fail internationally as well. there are always exceptions to the rule... I can't really think of any examples at the moment. I think Trigun is one of the exceptions, it did well internationally and not so well domestically.


I hope they make a second season for Love Stage!!, it seems to be really popular on CR. at 7th spot at the moment, pretty good for a yaoi anime. makes me wonder if some straight men have been watching this I laugh on the inside every time I think about straight guys watching this when it comes to the graphic scenes.

... I have to watch Love Stage!! now.

@Topic; I don't know if it makes a huge difference in determining the future of a series. ie; more seasons, but it can't hurt. Which is my attitude toward it. I'm sure it helps with licensing in the west though. With a lot of interest from viewers in NA (for example), it's probably easier for publishers in NA to license a show for release. And depending on how 'big' it is, it could determine the effort put into the release (dub, LE, etc).

I'm pro-legal steaming all the way. Without Crunchyroll, there'd just be less of my money going to the industry. It's hard to afford all that I buy, so I manage probably 5 volumes and maybe a movie or two of anime a year. With Crunchyroll, I even find more anime that I would feel the *need* to buy if it came over. lol Plus, it's convenient, so even if I do buy something (Cardcaptor Sakura), I'm going to end up streaming it anyway. So that's even more money going toward anime, just because I'm too lazy to get the blurays out.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.