The Anime Economy - why it's so hard to make good anime
Secret Moderator
12280 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 8/20/14
33345 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Socal
Offline
Posted 8/20/14
Interesting

that means... Time to go buy more Sword Art Online merch
8830 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 8/20/14
But I like the anime that gets made right now, lots of ecchi and comedy and cute stuff, so I will just keep my crunchyroll acount and keep buying kawaii plushies and ecchi wallscrolls!
33345 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Socal
Offline
Posted 8/20/14

eragon2890 wrote:

But I like the anime that gets made right now, lots of ecchi and comedy and cute stuff, so I will just keep my crunchyroll acount and keep buying kawaii plushies and ecchi wallscrolls! :D


*high five* yeah
42275 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 8/20/14
Meanwhile, as I wait for some really interesting comments to appear.
7503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Washington
Offline
Posted 8/20/14
He forgot to mention Gonzo they almost gone out of Business and had to fire I believe %40 of there staff . They are still making Animation titles.
33345 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Socal
Offline
Posted 8/20/14

Nerdworks wrote:

He forgot to mention Gonzo they almost gone out of Business and had to fire I believe %40 of there staff . They are still making Animation titles.


really? how recent was this?
24914 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / California
Offline
Posted 8/20/14
Majority of anime now seems to consist mostly of fanservice / harem, both of which I dislike (Harems especially, can't ever take one seriously.)
7503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Washington
Offline
Posted 8/20/14

pandrasb wrote:


Nerdworks wrote:

He forgot to mention Gonzo they almost gone out of Business and had to fire I believe %40 of there staff . They are still making Animation titles.


really? how recent was this?


It was back around 2009 If I remember correctly I could be wrong It was a long time ago from what I heard they fired their some of there Animation Staff from what I heard.

47707 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/20/14 , edited 8/20/14
That Under the Dog kickstarter trailer looked awesome : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1300298569/under-the-dog

I wonder how many people subscribe to crunchyroll. If we all gave a couple dollars maybe it'd get funded.
33345 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Socal
Offline
Posted 8/20/14

Nerdworks wrote:


pandrasb wrote:


Nerdworks wrote:

He forgot to mention Gonzo they almost gone out of Business and had to fire I believe %40 of there staff . They are still making Animation titles.


really? how recent was this?


It was back around 2009 If I remember correctly I could be wrong It was a long time ago from what I heard they fired their some of there Animation Staff from what I heard.




Since this deficit, Gonzo has started to post better earnings due to the release of titles such as Rosario Vampire to Western online streaming websites such as Netflix. The marketing of these products to western audiences has returned Gonzo to financial stability, and Gonzo posted higher than expected profit margins in the April-September 2012 period. -Wikipedia


Maybe we could get another Rosario + Vampire remake or something *crosses fingers*
20890 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Online
Posted 8/20/14 , edited 8/20/14

hatoriku wrote:

That Under the Dog kickstarter trailer looked awesome : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1300298569/under-the-dog

I wonder how many people subscribe to crunchyroll. If we all gave a couple dollars maybe it'd get funded.


Under the dog is a good example right now. 5 millions to make a 90 minutes movie yet with quality would be hard to achive.

I wonder if they will ask Crunchyroll for the 5 M after the 24 minute ova.
11670 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 8/20/14
I like the niche stuff though. Whatever caters to them caters to me I guess.
270 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Through the chees...
Offline
Posted 8/20/14 , edited 8/20/14
Not with standing by stating the obvious. But anime these days are getting more expensive to produce. With higher production values. There is more emphasis on getting greater returns through DVD, merc, licensing. What hits anime the hardest, ironically enough is through their biggest gain. DVDs.
Posted 8/20/14
I'm doing just that. Trying to spend my money on lesser known titles but sometimes they don't get translated to English.
You must be logged in to post.