First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Lizard Squad
46382 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Sweden
Online
Posted 8/25/14 , edited 8/25/14

pandrasb wrote:

Script kiddies?

Man Sony really needs better security, they get DDoS attacked so much its like an initiation for hacker groups or something.


It's virtually impossible to stop a DDoS attack. No matter how much money a company got, they can never protect themselves against a DDoS attack.

A DDoS attack basically means that you stress a server until it crashes. Microsoft, Sony (PSN/SEN), Blizzard, Riot, Valve (Steam) amount others have been affected by this groups attacks.

Also, if you're referring to Sony servers being down often then that's not because of DDoS... It's because Sony is maintaining the servers. They're maintaining their servers because they don't want something like the hack 4 years ago to occur to them and their customers again.
Gets It.
24767 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Raleigh, North Ca...
Online
Posted 8/25/14
Ever since the flood of Anonymous-based groups, things like this are prone to happen. Botnets that were constructed/built (through infecting networks and users) in the late 90's and in the past decade are still around. They get passed around or sold to people. Access is usually never limited to one person - it just depends on the type of attack/infection and how they're controlled (most botnets connect to an IRC channel somewhere using a random port outside of 6667-6697 range that majority of IRC networks use).

Basically, a DDoS isn't "flashy". Anyone who has access to one or two can do what they did. Based on the DDoS map that was posted by Sony, the attacks were pretty basic and it didn't require too much to throttle their backbone. Do I think they need to be prosecuted? No. I don't see the point when we should be focusing on preventative measures. It's been well over a decade since the first UDP DDoS happened, we've still not upgraded protocols or backbones to prevent them from being so destructive. Is that Sony's fault? No, of course not. They're just another victim in a slew of attacks, at the end of the day. They're limited by the mainstream technology and aren't part of the network infrastructure environment as a business model. Of course ,they can improve their own so that it would take more than the "little" amount of traffic (comparative to other botnets, this one was remarkably small as it only covered a few countries).

The "bomb threat" was a bit over the top, agreed. But, alas, in the age where any minor threat is taken as a full-on one ... it's pretty laughable that someone can divert/postpone a plane simply by tweeting something like that.
33385 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Socal
Offline
Posted 8/25/14

TheOmegaForce70941 wrote:


pandrasb wrote:

Script kiddies?

Man Sony really needs better security, they get DDoS attacked so much its like an initiation for hacker groups or something.


It's virtually impossible to stop a DDoS attack. No matter how much money a company got, they can never protect themselves against a DDoS attack.

A DDoS attack basically means that you stress a server until it crashes. Microsoft, Sony (PSN/SEN), Blizzard, Riot, Valve (Steam) amount others have been affected by this groups attacks.

Also, if you're referring to Sony servers being down often then that's not because of DDoS... It's because Sony is maintaining the servers. They're maintaining their servers because they don't want something like the hack 4 years ago to occur to them and their customers again.


Somehow I knew someone(TheOmegaForce70941) was gonna say that cuz I know that it can't be stopped. I just goofed is all.


7505 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Washington
Offline
Posted 8/25/14 , edited 8/25/14

TheOmegaForce70941 wrote:


BlackRose0607 wrote:

Now, while I don't agree with what they did at all and think that it was totally wrong for them to do something like this, I do agree with the outcome that it will create in making the security and servers stronger. I'm not as much of a gamer as I used to be, but I do have a PS3 that I watch Crunchyroll on sometimes and my Mom and I both use it for Netflix. Most of the time I use my computer to watch stuff though. I do however believe that they should be found and punished for this.

On another note, that tweet only was implying that there was a bomb on the plane that Smedley was on, not that he was the one who brought it on there. What followed after is standard airplane and airport security measures, especially since after 9/11 in the United States.


I know that they didn't say that he was the one who brought it up there... But if it isn't clear then they obviously tried to frame him, only because he was working for a company they didn't like.

But I have a theory, and that's that they did do that to the plane he was on only because he was a american... Since they've also claimed to be a part of IS, ISIS or whatever that terrorist groups is called.



As in Islamic State that organization which we understand is trying to become another Iran trying to Reunite Iraq with Syria. Just because John Tweeted "bet AT&T would love to have their "ISIS: Wallet name back :)" back in June which is is just a joke it seems kind of stupid they would attack him for that. I believe the reason why they are targeting John because he Is the President of SOE who also help create Everquest is a way to get Media attention its not because of political issues its more like they are want to create a problem then solving it.

18478 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Los Angeles, CA
Offline
Posted 8/25/14
So much for my two days off. I wasn't able to sign into PSN through my PS4, but only through my PS3. Bologna!
18478 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Los Angeles, CA
Offline
Posted 8/25/14
So much for my two days off. I wasn't able to sign into PSN through my PS4, but only through my PS3. Bologna!
52319 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Wonderland chilli...
Offline
Posted 8/25/14
i find it hilarious, the fact is that just as much as i can ddos people to prove a political point like internet censorship is bad and scientologists are crazy. i can do it because i am bored and watching peeps freak out that LoL servers died is amusing to me. this is just the other side of the same coin of internet freedom. also the point of ddosing peeps the way they have is to make you do what you are doing, freaking out complaining and going i hope these dudes get pinched.

And really they should go to jail because of something they tweeted? i can go on twitter and say tons of s**t because i have the right to do so. if people got arrested for the stuff they said then i feel we would all be boned.

TLDR?

do not feed the trolls.
if people where arrested for the dumb offensive crap they said on twitter the entire world populations IQ might increase.

P.S. i might add i do not actually support what they are doing i simply realize that there is nothing to be done and be as aggressive to arrest them would only make it worse not better.
28100 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 8/25/14 , edited 8/25/14

LHRCheshire wrote:

And really they should go to jail because of something they tweeted? i can go on twitter and say tons of s**t because i have the right to do so. if people got arrested for the stuff they said then i feel we would all be boned.


The moment terrorist threats are made, all bets are off on your freedom to say whatever you want. Saying explosives are on a plane is an INSTANT game over. Once the US government finds where these guys are (and they will), their ass is grass. Once that happens, they will finally realize that is isn't all fun and games. Their life will become hell.

Also, DDoS attacks are already considered illegal. However, most of the time it probably wouldn't matter too much to go after them. NOW it is, though with saying they support ISIS, and made terrorist threats. It seems like they are just BEGGING to be arrested. It is also people like THIS that make governments want to regulate the internet. it is just giving them an EXCUSE. Freaking morons everywhere screwing over their own goals, and making life miserable for everyone else in the process. This is why we can't have nice things. :/
7505 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Washington
Offline
Posted 8/25/14 , edited 8/25/14

LHRCheshire wrote:

i find it hilarious, the fact is that just as much as i can ddos people to prove a political point like internet censorship is bad and scientologists are crazy. i can do it because i am bored and watching peeps freak out that LoL servers died is amusing to me. this is just the other side of the same coin of internet freedom. also the point of ddosing peeps the way they have is to make you do what you are doing, freaking out complaining and going i hope these dudes get pinched.

And really they should go to jail because of something they tweeted? i can go on twitter and say tons of s**t because i have the right to do so. if people got arrested for the stuff they said then i feel we would all be boned.

TLDR?

do not feed the trolls.
if people where arrested for the dumb offensive crap they said on twitter the entire world populations IQ might increase.

P.S. i might add i do not actually support what they are doing i simply realize that there is nothing to be done and be as aggressive to arrest them would only make it worse not better.



Its funny how no one attempted to DDOS Nintendo Network for blocking and banning users that mention Project M on Miiverse which is just a Mod for Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Anyone in the Hacker Community knows that Wii U and 3DS has security flaws but no one dares attack Nintendo to address those issues, and hearing a kid explaining the security issues on PS4 is fine but he still upset a whole bunch of people who don't give a crap about it all they care about is playing a game online with enemies and friends.


1812 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 8/26/14
LOL Anon rejects " We can make headlines too QQ"
9785 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Ohio
Offline
Posted 8/26/14
there really is no way to prevent a ddos atk if someone wants to do it they will find a way
9785 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Ohio
Offline
Posted 8/26/14 , edited 8/26/14

LHRCheshire wrote:

i find it hilarious, the fact is that just as much as i can ddos people to prove a political point like internet censorship is bad and scientologists are crazy. i can do it because i am bored and watching peeps freak out that LoL servers died is amusing to me. this is just the other side of the same coin of internet freedom. also the point of ddosing peeps the way they have is to make you do what you are doing, freaking out complaining and going i hope these dudes get pinched.

And really they should go to jail because of something they tweeted? i can go on twitter and say tons of s**t because i have the right to do so. if people got arrested for the stuff they said then i feel we would all be boned.

TLDR?

do not feed the trolls.
if people where arrested for the dumb offensive crap they said on twitter the entire world populations IQ might increase.

P.S. i might add i do not actually support what they are doing i simply realize that there is nothing to be done and be as aggressive to arrest them would only make it worse not better.


doesnt matter that it was on twitter they sent in a bomb threat............
46382 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Sweden
Online
Posted 8/26/14 , edited 8/26/14

LHRCheshire wrote:

And really they should go to jail because of something they tweeted? i can go on twitter and say tons of s**t because i have the right to do so. if people got arrested for the stuff they said then i feel we would all be boned.



I'm sorry, but maybe someone should threaten to take your life... Maybe THEN you'll learn how the plane crew and passengers felt........

604 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Wales
Offline
Posted 8/26/14
I was constantly watching these tweets go out on the day it happened (don't judge I couldn't play online I had nothing better to do.) . It was thrilling to watch and it amazes me how they can't be caught, John Smedley also stated on twitter that he saw the FBI cyber team on duty finding these guys and so far no luck.
28100 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 8/26/14

UKXD4N1ELDUDE wrote:

I was constantly watching these tweets go out on the day it happened (don't judge I couldn't play online I had nothing better to do.) . It was thrilling to watch and it amazes me how they can't be caught, John Smedley also stated on twitter that he saw the FBI cyber team on duty finding these guys and so far no luck.


Oh, they will be caught. They are almost always caught. Especially if they are a National Security risk (which these guys most certainly are now by tweeting bomb threats and supporting ISIS.) Their lives are going to be instantly destroyed once they are caught, too. The game will all be over for them.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.