First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Why I think Argevollen is better than Aldnoah Zero
14528 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 8/25/14 , edited 8/26/14
Anyway I've seen it discussed in the comments sections of videos and how people think Aldnoah is so much better than Argevollen, but I think the opposite.

While Aldnoah does have higher production value, animation quality, sound, etc. A major issue I have with it is that it lacks interesting characters and some I feel are even downright boring. Whatever faults Argevollen may have I at least find most of the cast fairly interesting and engaging where as Aldnoah's character's just feel distant, I can't really say there are any character's I like and for me that's a big deal, if I can't find a likeable or relateable character I quickly lose interest in the series as a whole.

I also think Argevollen does a better job keeping the tension going where as in Aldnoah Inaho is OP to the point it's just like "Ok how you're going to win this time," whenever he steps into a mech. I don't think Aldnoah is bad I just think the plot could be handled a bit better.

That's my opinion anyway, I'll keep watching both to see how things develop and I'd like to end this by saying they are pretty different outside of the fact they're mech series and probably shouldn't be compared, but I just wanted to put that out there and hear some opinions on it.
40313 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Free World Jail
Offline
Posted 8/25/14
At this point in time, Argevollen is better than Aldnoah.Zero. I think it is absolutely hilarious how Aldnoah.Zero had such a strong start, but we slowly became accustomed(or unaccustomed) at how poor the characters, mainly the Earthlings are. Whereas Argevollen started pretty dry and uninformative since they just dropped us into this story of wars, but it slowly collected itself and we got to understand some of the characters motives.

Posted 8/25/14
Imo most people would agree that Argevollen just feels too generic (which at times isn't so bad). Who knows though, there might be some twists and turns coming up soon.
215009 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Anime World
Offline
Posted 8/25/14
Aldnoah Zero is also generic in the sense of alien/martian invaders, beautiful princess (although she isn't the girl in distress type for now), government conspiracies, secret technology (that could be a pivotal point in this war), and the way it characterizes the war itself.

Idk which show is better yet though. I have to wait until the first half of the Aldnoah Zero to finish airing to decide that.
16299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Prescott, AZ
Offline
Posted 8/25/14 , edited 8/26/14
Gr8 b8 m8. I r8 8/8.

Oh lordy to I feel a wall of text starting to pour out of my fingers tonight!

But seriously, Argevollen has already had quite a large amount of asspulls that they don't try to explain while if Aldnoah.Zero seems to do an asspull moment, it goes back and explains it the next episode (for example Slaine showing up and taking out the rocket arm during the Tanegashima fight).

Aldnoah.Zero is also handled fairly realistically (excluding some of the trainer mech moments but even then, just by applying common sense and basic physics then outcomes do make sense, plus I am willing to bet half the reason Inaho hasn't gotten royally crushed yet is because many of the Vers Knights haven't been taking the Terrans seriously in terms of combat, which is understandable given that many of the soldiers haven't seen actual combat in 15 years and the Vers mechs are much more powerful). Argevollen on the other hand hasn't done much in terms of being accurate other than the programming of the mech and even then the show is delving more into the super robot genre (with it's neural evolution system that JUST got talked about last episode when that should have been shown much earlier). Aldnoah.Zero takes itself seriously and tries to break away from the norm as a mech series, Argevollen is sticking to the same old rhetoric. Both are a little generic at this point but the way Aldnoah.Zero is handling itself is a hell of a lot better than what I have seen from Argevollen so far.

The characters in Aldnoah.Zero (at least the major ones) have been given a background story for the most part with more to be shown later on, with it being somewhat easy to see where the mindset and actions of the characters come from. For example, the captain of the naval carrier, she joined the military as a tribute to her brother who died in combat during the Tanegashima Incident and has been itching for revenge since then. Whereas for Argevollen we know practically nothing of the characters in Argevollen save for the main character's sister dying somehow, hints at the commanders' past and the fact that Jamie works for a super secret company. If you want to know why Inaho feels so "distant" or emotionless then click this link for an understanding of what "Let Justice be done, though the Heaven's Fall" is the slogan for the series. That phrase is actually the entire concept and starting point of this series given its interpretations and many meanings:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_justitia_ruat_caelum
Argevollen's characters as a whole are really, really bland and/or cut and paste characters who have no purpose other than to be there, and that just blows seeing since they initially seem like they should have been much more important and interesting than they actually are.

As you stated in your post, the music, animation, voice acting/sound and overall quality are much higher in Aldnoah.Zero and is helping make for a better series. Argevollen feels recycled while Aldnoah.Zero actually feels like it's trying to break the norm.

A.Z is telling a story, Argevollen is showing pretty pictures moving with unnecessary fanservice (that hotel call was more than unnecessary) and tries to hide its failings in telling a story with a very weak plot. We don't know why the nations are at war with each other other than one empire is evil and wants to take over the world. We don't know for what purpose the Argevollen was made. We don't know why Jamie, a clearly unqualified "engineer" was tasked with handling a prototype super weapon that was transported through a freaking WARZONE during live combat. We don't know anything about the company that made the weapon or for what purpose. We don't know much about what started the war to begin with, we are just through haphazardly into it.

A.Z does have it's issues, I won't deny that. But it easily one of the top 5 shows this summer and could very well be the anime of the year depending on how everything plays out (hoping AgK takes that title but we'll see how they do adapting it). At the very least it would definitely be the best original anime of the year (aka shows that aren't adaptations). Argevollen hasn't done anything remotely praiseworthy and the characters are even more unlikable than A.Z's (which I do care about, at least many of them. Inaho's friends so far haven't done much for me but the other major/minor characters (from Earth) have been pretty enjoyable thus far).

I still watch Argevollen because I love mech shows, especially of the real robot flavor. But trying to say it is better than Aldnoah.Zero at this point is a farce and at the moment, a lie. You're entitled to your opinion, provided you can back it up and explain your reasoning with a well thought out argument as to why your argument makes sense. (That's from an article I read awhile back debunking the whole "everyone is entitled to their opinion" schpeele. It is in no way meant to upset you or anyone reading this post).

Phew, I think that's everything I had to say. I apologize for anyone attempting to read this entire post. I like both series so far, but Aldnoah.Zero is currently leaps and bounds ahead of Argevollen. Who knows, that could change later down the road as both have 24 episodes.
215009 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Anime World
Offline
Posted 8/25/14
Don't forget, there are three other mecha shows (all from Sunrise though) and the second half of Argevollen this Fall
4153 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 8/25/14 , edited 8/26/14
Aldnoah Zero >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Argevollen
10058 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Boston, MA
Offline
Posted 8/25/14 , edited 8/25/14

Rippedyanu1 wrote:

Gr8 b8 m8. I r8 8/8.

Oh lordy to I feel a wall of text starting to pour out of my fingers tonight!

But seriously, Argevollen has already had quite a large amount of asspulls that they don't try to explain while if Aldnoah.Zero seems to do an asspull moment, it goes back and explains it the next episode (for example Slaine showing up and taking out the rocket arm during the Tanegashima fight).

Aldnoah.Zero is also handled fairly realistically (excluding some of the trainer mech moments but even then, just by applying common sense and basic physics then outcomes do make sense, plus I am willing to bet half the reason Inaho hasn't gotten royally crushed yet is because many of the Vers Knights haven't been taking the Terrans seriously in terms of combat, which is understandable given that many of the soldiers haven't seen actual combat in 15 years and the Vers mechs are much more powerful). Argevollen on the other hand hasn't done much in terms of being accurate other than the programming of the mech and even then the show is delving more into the super robot genre (with it's neural evolution system that JUST got talked about last episode when that should have been shown much earlier). Aldnoah.Zero takes itself seriously and tries to break away from the norm as a mech series, Argevollen is sticking to the same old rhetoric. Both are a little generic at this point but the way Aldnoah.Zero is handling itself is a hell of a lot better than what I have seen from Argevollen so far.

The characters in Aldnoah.Zero (at least the major ones) have been given a background story for the most part with more to be shown later on, with it being somewhat easy to see where the mindset and actions of the characters come from. For example, the captain of the naval carrier, she joined the military as a tribute to her brother who died in combat during the Tanegashima Incident and has been itching for revenge since then. Whereas for Argevollen we know practically nothing of the characters in Argevollen save for the main character's sister dying somehow, hints at the commanders' past and the fact that Jamie works for a super secret company. If you want to know why Inaho feels so "distant" or emotionless then click this link for an understanding of what "Let Justice be done, though the Heaven's Fall" is the slogan for the series. That phrase is actually the entire concept and starting point of this series given its interpretations and many meanings:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_justitia_ruat_caelum
Argevollen's characters as a whole are really, really bland and/or cut and paste characters who have no purpose other than to be there, and that just blows seeing since they initially seem like they should have been much more important and interesting than they actually are.

As you stated in your post, the music, animation, voice acting/sound and overall quality are much higher in Aldnoah.Zero and is helping make for a better series. Argevollen feels recycled while Aldnoah.Zero actually feels like it's trying to break the norm.

A.Z is telling a story, Argevollen is showing pretty pictures moving with unnecessary fanservice (that hotel call was more than unnecessary) and tries to hide its failings in telling a story with a very weak plot. We don't know why the nations are at war with each other other than one empire is evil and wants to take over the world. We don't know for what purpose the Argevollen was made. We don't know why Jamie, a clearly unqualified "engineer" was tasked with handling a prototype super weapon that was transported through a freaking WARZONE during live combat. We don't know anything about the company that made the weapon or for what purpose. We don't know much about what started the war to begin with, we are just through haphazardly into it.

A.Z does have it's issues, I won't deny that. But it easily one of the top 5 shows this summer and could very well be the anime of the year depending on how everything plays out (hoping AgK takes that title but we'll see how they do adapting it). At the very least it would definitely be the best original anime of the year (aka shows that aren't adaptations). Argevollen hasn't done anything remotely praiseworthy and the characters are even more unlikable than A.Z's (which I do care about, at least many of them. Inaho's friends so far haven't done much for me but the other major/minor characters (from Earth) have been pretty enjoyable thus far).

I still watch Argevollen because I love mech shows, especially of the real robot flavor. But trying to say it is better than Aldnoah.Zero at this point is a farce and at the moment, a lie. You're entitled to your opinion, provided you can back it up and explain your reasoning with a well thought out argument as to why your argument makes sense. (That's from an article I read awhile back debunking the whole "everyone is entitled to their opinion" schpeele. It is in no way meant to upset you or anyone reading this post).

Phew, I think that's everything I had to say. I apologize for anyone attempting to read this entire post. I like both series so far, but Aldnoah.Zero is currently leaps and bounds ahead of Argevollen. Who knows, that could change later down the road as both have 24 episodes.


Good read. Encore!

33924 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Florida
Offline
Posted 8/25/14
16299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Prescott, AZ
Offline
Posted 8/25/14

Brakkis wrote:


Rippedyanu1 wrote:



Good read. Encore!



Shocking reaction! Many claps! Pachi Pachi Pachi!
70012 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Online
Posted 8/25/14 , edited 8/25/14

Nifty, I didn't realize that was a reference to something specific.

Edit: This also reminds me that I still need to read Heart of Darkness.
16299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Prescott, AZ
Offline
Posted 8/25/14 , edited 8/25/14

Insomnist wrote:


Nifty, I didn't realize that was a reference to something specific.


Yep, I found it after I went and made the Aldnoah.Zero group on here since I thought it was a really sweet slogan and was curious about it, when I found the meaning and the different ideas behind the saying I was blown away. The anime made SO MUCH more sense after reading that and applying it to the characters as well as the setting of the anime. Any gripes about Inaho's stoicness were pretty much quelled reading this.

It may or may not also give you a good indication that by the end of this at least one of the warring sides is pretty much gonna get glassed out of existence by the other or we will see mutually assured destruction. Also it goes into depth as to the possible mindset of the terrorist daughter and the mindset of many of the Terran characters after many of the major cities just got hit with multiple colony drops.
70012 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Online
Posted 8/25/14 , edited 8/25/14

Rippedyanu1 wrote:

Any gripes about Inaho's stoicness were pretty much quelled reading this.

I wouldn't go that far, a slogan is a slogan and it can certainly feed into a show's thematic elements (which it definitely does in this case) but it doesn't really explain Inaho's immutable inscrutability at all. It could explain his convictions given narrative evidence, but not why he's as boring to watch as paint drying on the very boring side of a very boring barn.

I'd prefer to see him commit to that ethic within a scene, and then see where that takes him as a character, or see the journey that takes him to making that commitment. But it doesn't really serve as an explanation for his personality. It adds significant emphasis to the show as a hole in a very nice way, but it doesn't mean Inaho has to be the way he is.
52863 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CA
Offline
Posted 8/25/14
Surprised Bless isn't in here, or even the OP

Soon.
16299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Prescott, AZ
Offline
Posted 8/25/14

Insomnist wrote:


Rippedyanu1 wrote:

Any gripes about Inaho's stoicness were pretty much quelled reading this.

I wouldn't go that far, a slogan is a slogan and it can certainly feed into a show's thematic elements (which it definitely does in this case) but it doesn't really explain Inaho's immutable inscrutability at all. It could explain his convictions given narrative evidence, but not why he's as boring to watch as paint drying on the very boring side of a very boring barn.

I'd prefer to see him commit to that ethic within a scene, and then see where that takes him as a character, or to see the journey that takes him to that commitment. But it doesn't really serve as an explanation for his personality. It adds significant emphasis to the show as a hole in a very nice way, but it doesn't mean Inaho has to be the way he is.


I meant my gripes as to why he acts so stoically. "On the other hand, Horace opens one of his odes with a depiction of a Stoic hero who will submit to the ruin of the universe around him: "Si fractus illabatur orbis, / impavidum ferient ruinae" — "Should the whole frame of Nature round him break, / In ruin and confusion hurled, / He, unconcerned, would hear the mighty crack, / And stand secure amidst a falling world."

^When I said that earlier, I meant why he was a.) made to act that way and b.) why he shows barely any emotion. Hopefully this passage from the page gives an indication that Inaho doesn't really care about the world ending and he possibly may even crack under the fact that his life is basically over. This may happen after the death of his friends and his last surviving family member (his sister) but if it does happen you can bet I'm looking forward to it.

I will admit he is a little boring to watch but at the same time he's pretty interesting to watch as well. When things stop going his way I'm sure a lot of people will be happier with the show. Until then, I'm gonna keep waiting, watching and enjoying the show
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.