First time going to a convention, advice or suggestions?
9791 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Florida, USA
Offline
Posted 8/27/14
As the title states, I'm planning on possibly going to a convention in a couple weeks for the first time and I'm looking for general advice and suggestions...I honestly don't know what to expect
Posted 8/27/14

Sgt_Phantomizer wrote:

As the title states, I'm planning on possibly going to a convention in a couple weeks for the first time and I'm looking for general advice and suggestions...I honestly don't know what to expect


Bring lots of money and wear comfortable shoes man,trust me.
9791 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Florida, USA
Offline
Posted 8/27/14

saberfan94 wrote:


Sgt_Phantomizer wrote:

As the title states, I'm planning on possibly going to a convention in a couple weeks for the first time and I'm looking for general advice and suggestions...I honestly don't know what to expect


Bring lots of money and wear comfortable shoes man,trust me.


Define a lot for two people :P

Posted 8/27/14

Sgt_Phantomizer wrote:


saberfan94 wrote:


Sgt_Phantomizer wrote:

As the title states, I'm planning on possibly going to a convention in a couple weeks for the first time and I'm looking for general advice and suggestions...I honestly don't know what to expect


Bring lots of money and wear comfortable shoes man,trust me.


Define a lot for two people :P



Depends do you have a big budget?
9791 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Florida, USA
Offline
Posted 8/27/14

saberfan94 wrote:


Sgt_Phantomizer wrote:


saberfan94 wrote:


Sgt_Phantomizer wrote:

As the title states, I'm planning on possibly going to a convention in a couple weeks for the first time and I'm looking for general advice and suggestions...I honestly don't know what to expect


Bring lots of money and wear comfortable shoes man,trust me.


Define a lot for two people :P



Depends do you have a big budget?


Maybe around $200 - $300, not counting tickets and other expenses such as gas and food.
Posted 8/27/14

Sgt_Phantomizer wrote:

Maybe around $200 - $300, not counting tickets and other expenses such as gas and food.


Not bad that's how much I usually bring and I usually get a lot of stuff.
604 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Wales
Offline
Posted 8/27/14 , edited 8/27/14
1. Pack lightly so you can bring stuff home.
2. Look at what the convention has to offer and plan you day accordingly.
3. You've already stated you're going with someone but good advise is to always go with someone as it can be boring without somebody to talk to
4. Bring enough money for food and gas you'll need them. (Also additional money for merchandise.)
5. Be safe and have fun!
2024 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
15 / F
Offline
Posted 8/27/14
How exciting! Conventions are always exciting, especially going as a first timer. Here is my advice:

Are you going to cosplay?
• Try to stick the best you can to your character.
• Be aware you'll get attention!
• Some guys there can be a little pervy. (At least from my experiences.)

Basic things to follow!
• First of all, don't be nervous! Conventions are amazing!
• Don't feel imposed by other people.
• Bring extra cash. There's always little extra unnecessary things you will be tempted to buy.

You're bringing a friend, huh?
• Remember to focus on having fun!
• TAKE PICTURES! They're great memories to look at later on.
9791 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Florida, USA
Offline
Posted 8/27/14 , edited 8/28/14

UKXD4N1ELDUDE wrote:

2. Look at what the convention has to offer and plan you day accordingly.


Stupid question, but what do you mean by that? ^^;
604 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Wales
Offline
Posted 8/28/14

Sgt_Phantomizer wrote:


UKXD4N1ELDUDE wrote:

2. Look at what the convention has to offer and plan you day accordingly.


Stupid question, but what do you mean by that? ^^;


Sometimes a convention centre has a timetable with different events happening over the course of the few days.
If you can find the timetable then you can plan what exactly you want to do on the days that you're there.
Say there's a card game going on that you want to see, you can put that into your things to do list and go to it when you need to.
Sometimes conventions have multiple activities and events going on at the same time so it would be a good idea to know exactly which ones you want to do and at which times they start.
Hope that helps.
9791 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Florida, USA
Offline
Posted 8/28/14

UKXD4N1ELDUDE wrote:


Sgt_Phantomizer wrote:


UKXD4N1ELDUDE wrote:

2. Look at what the convention has to offer and plan you day accordingly.


Stupid question, but what do you mean by that? ^^;


Sometimes a convention centre has a timetable with different events happening over the course of the few days.
If you can find the timetable then you can plan what exactly you want to do on the days that you're there.
Say there's a card game going on that you want to see, you can put that into your things to do list and go to it when you need to.
Sometimes conventions have multiple activities and events going on at the same time so it would be a good idea to know exactly which ones you want to do and at which times they start.
Hope that helps.


Ahh, ok. Got it, thanks!
SirFel 
13613 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Palmdale, Califonia
Online
Posted 9/2/14
I agree with everyone here, mostly the money part, also depending on how packed the convention is, the wait lines for panels might be a tad long and might forms many hours before the panel actually start.
68 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Illinois, USA
Offline
Posted 9/3/14
~ I would always suggest a hotel for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night, but if you can't stay all of those days, stay at least one day. (Stay the night before the busiest day so you can sleep well before a lot of panels)

~ If you are not cosplaying, I highly suggest bringing a backpack, specifically the High Sierra Access Backpack. Put in a 150 sheet notebook to write down names and phone numbers, advice for competitive games, etc, a 2 inch binder with sheet protecters to hold and protect artwork and sketches from voice actors, anime or other merchandise to get signed by voice actors, deck boxes with cards (Like Pokemon, Magic, Yugioh, etc.), snacks and drinks, Ultra-Pro Play mat/artwork tube, portable gaming system, etc.

~ Depending on your budget bring at least $100, sometimes you can get great deals. I bring $200 to every con, when I get a job I would bring at least $500.

~ Bring a portable gaming device, like a 3DS, PS Vita, or even a retro game system. Phones/Tablets with apps are good, but might get boring if you are waiting in big lines, for example a line to get an autograph from a voice actor.

~ Check the convention's website before you go to the con, so you can plan out your weekend and get autographs while going to panels you like.

~ Bring a camera with extra SD cards and batteries to take pictures of cosplayers and videos of voice actor's panels

~ Bring Medicine like headache medicine, pain killers, allergy medicine, "other" types of medical or "health" things.
14525 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / US
Offline
Posted 9/7/14
A lot has already been said above but here's some advice that might be helpful...

1. If you're planning on going to a 3-day convention, remember Saturday will be the busiest day. The lines will be long especially if it's a popular panel. It's good to get in line early so that you won't be turned away because the panel filled up. As for autograph signing, some cons charge while some don't so know ahead of time. Also no matter what day it is, voice actor picture taking and autograph signing will be long.
2. If you're going with others make sure your phone is charged to keep touch. (This was my mistake )

3. Whenever you have free time try going around the convention to learn where everything is.

4. (You've already heard this but) Make sure to have a budget and don't forget to have fun.
Sailor Candy Moderator
200584 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28
Offline
Posted 12/22/15
"Year-end cleanup. Closing threads with no activity since 2014."
You must be logged in to post.