First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
If you were to describe someone by their race
1246 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / F / Connecticut
Offline
Posted 8/28/14
I don't understand why people find it offensive to point people out using their race. It's extremely helpful where I live since the town is really diverse. Only stupid people call stating facts "racist". If I have to elaborate about what they look like, I'd talk about the hair, eye color, height and what they're wearing.
1294 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / England.
Offline
Posted 8/28/14
nope.
7686 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / So Cal, California
Offline
Posted 8/28/14
I used to feel uncomfortable saying by their race but now I dont care.

I use their race, clothes, height and weight.

They know they are that race so why would the care, its not like your saying it in a rude way.

How else would you describe them? Lol
7686 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / So Cal, California
Offline
Posted 8/28/14

sasarahsept wrote:

I don't understand why people find it offensive to point people out using their race. It's extremely helpful where I live since the town is really diverse. Only stupid people call stating facts "racist". If I have to elaborate about what they look like, I'd talk about the hair, eye color, height and what they're wearing.


Same here its easier to just say their race
5727 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19
Offline
Posted 8/28/14 , edited 8/28/14
I feel like you'll only make it a racist situation if you really make it one. Or if you think it is. But I guess that's true, we do need to be considerate of others just in case.

I feel like it's fine if we use people's race/ethnicity as a source of identification, especially if there's so few in the community. Unless it's used in a discriminant way, it should be fine. But that's just me. I refer to every human being as a person anyway, so.
Posted 8/28/14

CoffeeGodEddy wrote:

We ought to refer to people by their continent of origin in my opinion. I'd hate to be born in Antarctica though.

Plus there is only one race, the human race.


It's pretty racist of you to leave out human/alien hybrids.

Racist !
7001 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Skittles
Offline
Posted 8/28/14
I'm kinda insensitive about things like this, I think it's basically where I grew up though.
I grew up in the ghetto and there's pretty much every race here, though mostly black people (I'm half black myself).

So like my friend will be like: "Oh that boy was cute" and I'll just yell out: "Which one? The black one!?" without even thinking about it.

I mean, that's the first thing people see, seriously. It's not like I'm calling him poor, or ghetto or anything like that just because I called him black. Same with every other race, just because I say "That Asian dude over there." Doesn't mean I said: "That guy who's really good at math and has slanty eyes over there."

If anyone gets offended by it I apologize to them for my insensitivity, but I just don't really see the problem with it.
If you're black, you're black. If you're white, you're white. Etc, Etc. o_o
52119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 8/28/14

SoldierSangria wrote:


CoffeeGodEddy wrote:

We ought to refer to people by their continent of origin in my opinion. I'd hate to be born in Antarctica though.

Plus there is only one race, the human race.


It's pretty racist of you to leave out human/alien hybrids.

Racist !


What about human/animal hybrids.
1273 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 8/28/14
I'm a lazy person, so I would just point out my finger at them even though in every culture has shown me that is being disrespectful, but it is not a offense to anyone. When talking to them directly, I use "Hey, you" and point my finger at them. Even though that is being disrespectful, in our society it seems like it doesn't really show much concern as they are focusing in such things as skin color and totally had forgotten about manners.
42339 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 8/29/14

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


WeevilsWobble wrote:

I don't really look at it as insensitive or mind if someone were to, its all about circumstances of the situation.


@Peripheral : Define 'ghetto' in this sense.


Bein gangsta yo. That's how everyone refers to it where I live.



Where do you live?
521 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 8/29/14 , edited 8/29/14
Why is it so bad to describe someone by their race? If it's part of their characteristic features, I don't see what's wrong with it, unless you say it disrespectfully. You just have to be a bit careful and don't be too specific like with Asian different races. It's risky to say "That Chinese girl..." or "That Korean boy..." when you don't know their true nationality. Asian is fine, in my opinion. I personally wouldn't mind being call "the white girl" or "the foreigner" if I was in another country. It's easier.
11415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Eng Land
Offline
Posted 8/29/14 , edited 8/29/14
I see no problem with it. If there's a group of white people and one black person, I'll refer to them as the black person if I'm talking about them later (in private), because that's a pretty standout feature.
Posted 8/29/14

qualeshia3 wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:


WeevilsWobble wrote:

I don't really look at it as insensitive or mind if someone were to, its all about circumstances of the situation.


@Peripheral : Define 'ghetto' in this sense.


Bein gangsta yo. That's how everyone refers to it where I live.



Where do you live?


Virginia.
29739 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Fraxinus
Offline
Posted 8/29/14

BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

I see no problem with it. If there's a group of white people and one black person, I'll refer to them as the black person if I'm talking about them later (in private), because that's a pretty standout feature.


Oh my God, thank you! I was quite literally going to post the exact same thing.

I'm black, and if I was standing in the middle of a group of white people and someone wanted to point me out, it would piss me off to no end if they tried to pussyfoot around doing the easy and quite frankly commonsense thing, and just point me out as that one black guy.

I mean seriously people. There's treating people as people and not their colour, and then there's being so incredibly cautious to the point that it borders on downright irritating.
42339 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 8/29/14



Ah.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.