First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply ~PreCure General Discussion~
35024 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F
Offline
Posted 8/28/14



Hadn't seen a Pretty Cure thread in a little while!

- Favorite Series/Movie?
- Favorite Girl/Team/Mascot?
- Which PreCure series are you currently watching?
- Will we ever see a physical release outside Japan?


After doing some searching and coming up with little more than some Funimation license info from a few years back, I'm curious if anyone would pick up this franchise for physical release in North America. It is quite a massive property, but I can't help but hope that one day I'd be able to add some beautiful PreCure blu-rays to my collection!








Discuss any and all PreCure franchise fun here! <3
43664 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
60 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 8/28/14
Well, there is an existing thread, but no one has posted to it since February...

/forumtopic-837991/pretty-cure-discussion#45802219
47641 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 8/28/14 , edited 8/28/14
I've only watched two series to completion(Heartcatch and Smile) but it has to be Heartcatch and its movie hands down. I really liked the characters in Smile, but I felt like I was kinda forcing myself to finish at points. To be honest Suite and some of the other series didn't resonate with me at all so I'm not sure which ones to go back and watch. From what I can tell Heartcatch was somewhat anomalous from the typical formula so that may be why I liked it so much. I really loved the style of the action, comedy and animation. Erika is like one of my favorite characters ever too! I do hope we see it here at some point, but considering it's been so long I wonder what's holding it back? You'd think with how popular Sailor Moon is there would be a big enough potential market for them to try. Plus I mean, yeah it's girly but it's super cute girls kicking ass so I think it'd cast a wide net with guys too.

215381 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Anime World
Offline
Posted 8/28/14 , edited 8/28/14
I need to start watching this franchise in the future. Anyone have any suggestion what would be the best season to begin for PreCure? I heard it's a big world.
29900 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Louisiana
Offline
Posted 8/28/14

stark700 wrote:

I need to start watching this franchise in the future. Anyone have any suggestion what would be the best season to begin for PreCure? I heard it's a big world.


The general consensus is that Heartcatch is the best of the bunch. I watched the first few episodes of Happiness Charge (the newest one), and I dunno... It's a kids show. Kinda felt similar to when I was watching Pokemon. It's probably one of those that gets more awesome as the story and action progress.
215381 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Anime World
Offline
Posted 8/28/14

TrueGoober wrote:


stark700 wrote:

I need to start watching this franchise in the future. Anyone have any suggestion what would be the best season to begin for PreCure? I heard it's a big world.


The general consensus is that Heartcatch is the best of the bunch. I watched the first few episodes of Happiness Charge (the newest one), and I dunno... It's a kids show. Kinda felt similar to when I was watching Pokemon. It's probably one of those that gets more awesome as the story and action progress.


I see, thanks. I'll keep that in mind
One Punch Mod
85944 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 8/30/14 , edited 8/30/14

asharka wrote:
Well, there is an existing thread, but no one has posted to it since February...
/forumtopic-837991/pretty-cure-discussion#45802219


Thanks asharka. I've closed that one since it hasn't been posted to in so long, and I've now replaced the link in the show discussion index so it points here.
24094 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F / Kitadaito, Okinawa
Offline
Posted 10/2/14
Well the best part about Pretty Cure is each season has its own distinct feel. So if you're in the mood for a slice of life show where girls get themselves into wacky situations, you'd go with Smile. If you want something visually bright and emotionally compelling, you'd hit Heartcatch. If you like the idea of girls training to better themselves and exploration of some surprisingly mature subject matter (for a kids show) then Fresh is your answer. And if you wanted something heartwarming but not too deep, sometimes frustrating but usually rewarding, and with a solid music theme (and a good soundtrack to match), then yeah go with Suite.

Still not sure how to summarize Futari, SS, and Dokidoki though. Futari wa is just pretty vanilla honestly. It's not bad but few things are gonna jump out at you, and unfortunately the mascots tend to do more harm than good (aka they're annoying). At first I thought Slash Star was going to be shounen as fuck - they initially have to learn to concentrate magic in their hands to attack and legs to evade and I thought it was going Naruto or Hunter x Hunter - but that was pretty much dropped. The actual fisticuffs remained solid throughout the show though. It definitely beats every single episode of Yes5 having the girls get restrained by vines/web/rope/tentacles/giant fists/curtains/mud/cement/whatever until whoever's turn it is breaks out and saves the day.

And dokidoki is... the Mana show. If you like a strong, confident protagonist that almost feels like she's playing a New Game+ of her own show, then it's for you!
24094 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F / Kitadaito, Okinawa
Offline
Posted 10/2/14 , edited 10/2/14


no idea why MALu seems to think hunter x hunter is a precure series but sure, I'll allow it lmao. Those are my completed. I'm 34 eps into Suite and Happiness Charge and just started Max Heart.

I groupwatched Yes5 and we're waiting to watch GoGo until after we finish Kaitou Saint Tail. Halfway through that, so hopefully I'll finish Suite before then cause simultaneously watching 4 Precures is scary!

edit: it's cause I had the file open at the time haha
31636 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / BAYSIDE,NY
Offline
Posted 10/2/14
I already watched half of the series and at the beginning was a little bit boring but after a few episodes you'll get hooked ...currently watching happiness charge precure....
41974 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Jackson, MS
Offline
Posted 10/2/14

angryaria wrote:



no idea why MALu seems to think hunter x hunter is a precure series but sure, I'll allow it lmao. Those are my completed. I'm 34 eps into Suite and Happiness Charge and just started Max Heart.

I groupwatched Yes5 and we're waiting to watch GoGo until after we finish Kaitou Saint Tail. Halfway through that, so hopefully I'll finish Suite before then cause simultaneously watching 4 Precures is scary!

edit: it's cause I had the file open at the time haha


Someone who gave Doki! Doki! a 9! Most Pretty Cure fans can't stand that show. It's one of my favorites. Personally, didn't think it was that Mana-centric as everyone claims, well except for the ending but she was such a badass that I couldn't even be mad at it.
24094 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F / Kitadaito, Okinawa
Offline
Posted 10/2/14
Everyone hates that Mana was strong and unbreakable, while I find it inspiring. She's a role model. Not every protagonist needs to be an everyman that we can relate to. Sometimes it's nice to look up to someone with an indomitable spirit and the strength to match it.
215381 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Anime World
Offline
Posted 10/29/14
30329 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 10/29/14
20 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 11/5/14

angryaria wrote:

Everyone hates that Mana was strong and unbreakable, while I find it inspiring. She's a role model. Not every protagonist needs to be an everyman that we can relate to. Sometimes it's nice to look up to someone with an indomitable spirit and the strength to match it.


This was something I really liked too. I feel like most of the hate against her and the show became more of a meme than anything else. It's rare to see main characters, especially female ones, being strong, skilled and competent. We usually have the typical lazy kid, who's always eating, late for school, forgetting to do homework and awkward around others. Mana was the complete opposite of all those usual tropes.

And yeah, while a lot of the story focused on her, the other characters still got plenty to do. It's not as much the "Mana Show" as some people imply. It's really no different from most of the other shows, even Happiness Charge is underusing most of its characters at this point thanks to the focus on a very boring love triangle plot.

Aside from Tsubomi, Mana is easily my favourite lead Precure.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.