First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  Next  Last
Will A.I robots have human rights?
11738 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 8/30/14 , edited 8/30/14
If robots reach the point where they exceed human intelligence, then they can basically imitate all of our customs/behavior and "earn a soul" so to speak. At that point, people probably wouldn't be able to resist the idea.

Anyone played the Song of Saya visual novel? You'll see what I mean. The non-human is ironically the most human of them all.

People tend to think AI cannot have feelings but you can't tell if any other humans besides you are actually conscious. I think, therefore I am.
Posted 8/30/14
Let's try and get rights for humans first...
11419 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Eng Land
Offline
Posted 8/30/14 , edited 8/30/14
I doubt it. It'll take more than just looks for me to do that. They'd need to be able to properly show all kinds of emotion for me to come close to doing that, and even then, if you were essentially going to make them a mechanical human, you might as well give a real person a job than one of them. I think that having robots that can do everything from being mechanics to cashiers is going to severely backfire. Sure that'll make life easier, but when you've got no jobs left how's anyone going to make any money?
11738 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 8/30/14

BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

I doubt it. It'll take more than just looks for me to do that. They'd need to be able to properly show all kinds of emotion for me to come close to doing that, and even then, if you were essentially going to make them a mechanical human, you might as well give a real person a job than one of them. I think that having robots that can do everything from being mechanics to cashiers is going to severely backfire. Sure that'll make life easier, but when you've got no jobs left how's anyone going to make any money?


Well, experts predict humans will have unprecedented ease of living BECAUSE robots will take up all positions and responsibilities. People won't have to work anymore.
35286 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / http://myanimelis...
Offline
Posted 8/30/14
I doubt I'll treat them like humans, since I'll most likely treat them better than I treat humans.
11419 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Eng Land
Offline
Posted 8/30/14

RedExodus wrote:


BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

I doubt it. It'll take more than just looks for me to do that. They'd need to be able to properly show all kinds of emotion for me to come close to doing that, and even then, if you were essentially going to make them a mechanical human, you might as well give a real person a job than one of them. I think that having robots that can do everything from being mechanics to cashiers is going to severely backfire. Sure that'll make life easier, but when you've got no jobs left how's anyone going to make any money?


Well, experts predict humans will have unprecedented ease of living BECAUSE robots will take up all positions and responsibilities. People won't have to work anymore.


But we need money to buy luxuries and food and to pay the bills.
42447 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 8/30/14
I'll give humanity a hundred years to produce a great AI.
31145 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 8/30/14
I want to point out that the U.S. Supreme Court already granted corporations certain human rights.

I think the OP is being a bit overly optimistic on how soon we're likely to see truly human-like AI. I'm inclined to agree with qualeshia3. I'd say it's more likely closer to 100 years away, if not a bit more. In a few decades we may see robots with intellect on par with dogs and cats.

However, from what I recall, we're also only decades away from the collapse of Moore's law when we reach the apex of what's possible with silicon chips, and post-silicon technologies are all still in their early infancies. But even if one should be fully ready to step in before we reach the dead end of silicon tech, there is no guarantee that Moore's law would continue to hold true.
37409 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 8/30/14

BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:


RedExodus wrote:


BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

I doubt it. It'll take more than just looks for me to do that. They'd need to be able to properly show all kinds of emotion for me to come close to doing that, and even then, if you were essentially going to make them a mechanical human, you might as well give a real person a job than one of them. I think that having robots that can do everything from being mechanics to cashiers is going to severely backfire. Sure that'll make life easier, but when you've got no jobs left how's anyone going to make any money?


Well, experts predict humans will have unprecedented ease of living BECAUSE robots will take up all positions and responsibilities. People won't have to work anymore.


But we need money to buy luxuries and food and to pay the bills.


Isaac Asimov explored this theme in his "I Robot" series of books.

Not that fake-assed "I Robot" that Will Smith did, but the actual story as written by Isaac Asimov. That movie came nowhere near to what the original story was about.

Anyway, back on topic. It Isaac Asimov's books, the Human Race is over 8 billion in population, there are severe food shortages, jobs are real hard to come by, because everything keeps getting automated with robots, and crazy-assed over crowded cities. Everyone blames robots for taking their jobs. There are strict laws to protect robots from damage, and the like, which causes people to hate the robots even more. The the point where people commit crimes against robots, and it's investigated as if a crime were committed against a Human. The general population really, really hates robots, even though they're freakin' everywhere, and people who use robots generally hide from the public.

Anyway, one thing leads to another, and the Humans go into mass migrations into space to get away from robots, and to live on robot-free worlds.

If you ever read his stories, You'll find the way he used words kind of corny, but the stories themselves are freaking genius.
11738 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 8/30/14

BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:


RedExodus wrote:


BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

I doubt it. It'll take more than just looks for me to do that. They'd need to be able to properly show all kinds of emotion for me to come close to doing that, and even then, if you were essentially going to make them a mechanical human, you might as well give a real person a job than one of them. I think that having robots that can do everything from being mechanics to cashiers is going to severely backfire. Sure that'll make life easier, but when you've got no jobs left how's anyone going to make any money?


Well, experts predict humans will have unprecedented ease of living BECAUSE robots will take up all positions and responsibilities. People won't have to work anymore.


But we need money to buy luxuries and food and to pay the bills.


It'll be complete overhaul of how we do things when super AI comes. It's called a singularity for many reasons.






I don't think it'll take 100 years for super AI to come. I've read multiple articles and expert predictions on it over the years and they all point to the prediction that it'll come within most of our lifetimes-roughly 3 decades later.
11419 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Eng Land
Offline
Posted 8/30/14

RedExodus wrote:


BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:


RedExodus wrote:


BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

I doubt it. It'll take more than just looks for me to do that. They'd need to be able to properly show all kinds of emotion for me to come close to doing that, and even then, if you were essentially going to make them a mechanical human, you might as well give a real person a job than one of them. I think that having robots that can do everything from being mechanics to cashiers is going to severely backfire. Sure that'll make life easier, but when you've got no jobs left how's anyone going to make any money?


Well, experts predict humans will have unprecedented ease of living BECAUSE robots will take up all positions and responsibilities. People won't have to work anymore.


But we need money to buy luxuries and food and to pay the bills.


It'll be complete overhaul of how we do things when super AI comes. It's called a singularity for many reasons.






I don't think it'll take 100 years for super AI to come. I've read multiple articles and expert predictions on it over the years and they all point to the prediction that it'll come within most of our lifetimes-roughly 3 decades later.


That's cool and all, but I'm still confused on the money front of things. The way I'm looking at it is. Luxuries cost money. How do we make money? Jobs. If robots take all the jobs we have no money, so doesn't that mean either you can't afford luxuries or they have to automatically all be made free. This is the point I'm making. If we don't have the means to make money, what's going to be our alternative way of accessing stuff?
37409 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 8/30/14

iriomote wrote:

I want to point out that the U.S. Supreme Court already granted corporations certain human rights.

I think the OP is being a bit overly optimistic on how soon we're likely to see truly human-like AI. I'm inclined to agree with qualeshia3. I'd say it's more likely closer to 100 years away, if not a bit more. In a few decades we may see robots with intellect on par with dogs and cats.

However, from what I recall, we're also only decades away from the collapse of Moore's law when we reach the apex of what's possible with silicon chips, and post-silicon technologies are all still in their early infancies. But even if one should be fully ready to step in before we reach the dead end of silicon tech, there is no guarantee that Moore's law would continue to hold true.


I think Intel extended Moore's law by quite a bit when they started making 3D silicon chips. So, now the transistors not only have two dimensional circuits, the chips now have three dimensional circuits, increasing the transistor counts by 300% for the same area (current regular CPU's have one layer of transistors, but these new chips have three layers of transistors, and they're all interconnected in 3D). The result is increased performance with the same power output as current chips.

However, you are correct to say that they've already started experimenting with new materials to replace silicon.

8653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Pennsylvania
Offline
Posted 8/30/14 , edited 9/13/14
Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh Will A.I robots have human rights in 20 years...... I don't even think All HUMANS will have human/equal rights within that time. lets focus on 1 problem at a time before we start talking about robot rights :p
11738 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 8/30/14 , edited 8/30/14

BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:


RedExodus wrote:


BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:


RedExodus wrote:


BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

I doubt it. It'll take more than just looks for me to do that. They'd need to be able to properly show all kinds of emotion for me to come close to doing that, and even then, if you were essentially going to make them a mechanical human, you might as well give a real person a job than one of them. I think that having robots that can do everything from being mechanics to cashiers is going to severely backfire. Sure that'll make life easier, but when you've got no jobs left how's anyone going to make any money?


Well, experts predict humans will have unprecedented ease of living BECAUSE robots will take up all positions and responsibilities. People won't have to work anymore.


But we need money to buy luxuries and food and to pay the bills.


It'll be complete overhaul of how we do things when super AI comes. It's called a singularity for many reasons.






I don't think it'll take 100 years for super AI to come. I've read multiple articles and expert predictions on it over the years and they all point to the prediction that it'll come within most of our lifetimes-roughly 3 decades later.


That's cool and all, but I'm still confused on the money front of things. The way I'm looking at it is. Luxuries cost money. How do we make money? Jobs. If robots take all the jobs we have no money, so doesn't that mean either you can't afford luxuries or they have to automatically all be made free. This is the point I'm making. If we don't have the means to make money, what's going to be our alternative way of accessing stuff?

Frankly, I'm not too sure myself(damn you singularities) but I think we're going to get free goods and services. We're never gunna run out of supplies if the robots are good enough that they take over completely and run all of the production, producing them virtually for free.

This is what I picked up from economists' take on the singularity.
11419 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Eng Land
Offline
Posted 8/30/14 , edited 8/30/14

RedExodus wrote:

Frankly, I'm not too sure myself(damn you singularities) but I think we're going to get free goods and services. We're never gunna run out of supplies if the robots are good enough that they take over completely and run all of the production, producing them virtually for free.

This is what I picked up from economists' take on the singularity.


I just wonder because if everything's free, won't that mean people will only want the best of the best? I mean, a lot of the best stuff is hard to make or rare, so I'd have thought that'd be hard to pull off unless we can perfectly replicate everything synthetically and lightning fast.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.