First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Video playback without plugins/DRM
The Wise Wizard
100935 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 9/6/14

agila61 wrote:

Then by process of elimination, it is highly unlikely to be DRM, since Amazon and Hulu videos will also have DRM.

I also wonder if they even bothered with DRM on the Android app, since first of all, it is an app (which restricts access to the video far more than a player in a web browser on a PC), and secondly the streams are only 360p.

In any event, any DRM used across the different platforms couldn't be the same, and there is also the fact that smaudet2 stated the problem is affecting both browser and device streams, which use different content delivery networks.

75662 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
55 / M / Northeast Ohio, USA
Online
Posted 9/7/14

TheAncientOne wrote:


agila61 wrote:

Then by process of elimination, it is highly unlikely to be DRM, since Amazon and Hulu videos will also have DRM.

I also wonder if they even bothered with DRM on the Android app, since first of all, it is an app (which restricts access to the video far more than a player in a web browser on a PC), and secondly the streams are only 360p.

It would depend on what their license terms specify


In any event, any DRM used across the different platforms couldn't be the same, and there is also the fact that smaudet2 stated the problem is affecting both browser and device streams, which use different content delivery networks.

Yes, its not the CDN if it affects both browser and devices. Intermittent congestion on the path to the CDN seems unlikely for the same reason ... that kind of problem plaguing both

Bandwidth discrimination against Crunchyroll by an ISP that has special deals with Netflix/Hulu doesn't seem very likely, if the 360p Android feed is affected. Its obviously not the Crunchyroll servers.

A DNS problem would be well worth checking out ... it would be a bit unusual for it to be so specific, but then again, problems so bad that even the Android app is stuttering would be a very unusual situation. From the Android Help section, its more common that they do something to black out some particular family of devices when they update the Android app.
75662 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
55 / M / Northeast Ohio, USA
Online
Posted 9/7/14

smaudet2 wrote: That doesn't follow...

In fact, its likely that the DRM CR is using is much, much worse than whatever Amazon/Hulu happen to use.

But if that were the case, everyone would be suffering what you are suffering, and I have no trouble with Android streaming.


DRM, 'digital rights management', is just a policy, and as no two policies are ever the same, so are no two DRM softwares.

The policy here is the policy of the Japanese licensors ~ its not like Crunchyroll would impose more restrictions on the DRM than they are contractually bound to do.


The issue, not being able to download anything, is in part because they won't let anyone download more than a couple seconds of stuff. Coupled with a massive failure to actually deliver any reasonable speeds, this means that DRM is, in fact, half the problem.

That's only high resolution on the PC, which is a Flash issue ~ and I can directly observe that their servers don't have any problems being able to deliver sufficient speed to keep up with the modest bitrate requirements of the Android app.


Their shit was working a couple months or so back, unless their user-base has massively increased, the only thing that makes sense is a policy change, and it is most likely that it is some stupid DRM policy change.

So basically you are concluding that its DRM by a series of dubious inferences?

If its something that hit access to Crunchyroll either through your particular ISP or over your particular DNS a couple of months ago, its more likely to do with the end of Spring semester and college kids hitting home internet networks for the summer than a change in DRM software that affects your PC, and the OUYA, and the Android app on your device, but doesn't affect my PC or my Android app on my device.


Amazon/Hulu? They don't have these same issues because they are a much larger company with more $$$ to spare.

Yes, which includes the resources to pay for special treatment from ISP's and DNS's.
9085 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/7/14 , edited 9/7/14
Blah blah blah de blah blah blah.

Yes, I'm aware of all these things. I'm not particularly interested in discussing things I already know, if you want to be helpful, please, don't let me stop you. But, you're just arguing for the sake of it now. Kindly, I'm done with you.

Whether or not DRM really is a major cultprit, the point is, their system is broken. There is a high likelihood DRM is to blame. I'm not paying to do my own support, or to fix crappy DRM, I'm paying for a working service, which by and large I have not been getting.

I disagree that there is any relation to summer time and kids being/out of school. If you have numbers to back up your assertions above, please, do CR's staff's job for them and post them.
9085 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/7/14

eyeofpain wrote:


smaudet2 wrote:

Oh, and no, I will never sign up for Netflix. Screw you.


I see no other mention of Netflix in this thread, so I'm not really sure what this is in reference to.


And I have no idea why you are bringing this up.

Der Zoodirektor
23417 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Germany
Online
Posted 9/8/14 , edited 9/8/14

smaudet2 wrote:

Blah blah blah de blah blah blah.

Yes, I'm aware of all these things. I'm not particularly interested in discussing things I already know, if you want to be helpful, please, don't let me stop you. But, you're just arguing for the sake of it now. Kindly, I'm done with you.

Whether or not DRM really is a major cultprit, the point is, their system is broken. There is a high likelihood DRM is to blame. I'm not paying to do my own support, or to fix crappy DRM, I'm paying for a working service, which by and large I have not been getting.

I disagree that there is any relation to summer time and kids being/out of school. If you have numbers to back up your assertions above, please, do CR's staff's job for them and post them.


You could try the following things:

- change to a different DNS server
- make sure no other program or device is using your internet connection in the background
- update your drivers (graphics, possibly network adapter)
- check whether your flash player version is the most current
- try in a different browser (not as a permanent solution, just to see if the issue persist across different software solutions)
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.