First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply A lot of Anime is blocked in my country.
5 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 8/10/15
These damn licensing issues are so annoying... Aren't we all children of God? Why can't some of us watch freaking anime :(? I'd go premium in a heartbeat but unfortunately it is totally not worth for people from my country... I am writing this post in order to remind CR that if they somehow convinced licensors to make all (or at least most) anime avilable worldwide, their earnings would skyrocket because I bet that there are (tens of?) thousands of people who are in the same situation as me.

Sorry for ranting, but I don't want to break ToS by using VPN and yet I want to watch some shows that are unavilable in my country.
58686 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Dallas, TX
Online
Posted 8/10/15

ponii-chan wrote:

These damn licensing issues are so annoying... Aren't we all children of God? Why can't some of us watch freaking anime :(? I'd go premium in a heartbeat but unfortunately it is totally not worth for people from my country... I am writing this post in order to remind CR that if they somehow convinced licensors to make all (or at least most) anime avilable worldwide, their earnings would skyrocket because I bet that there are (tens of?) thousands of people who are in the same situation as me.

Sorry for ranting, but I don't want to break ToS by using VPN and yet I want to watch some shows that are unavilable in my country.


It's not CR's decision to make, and they aren't going to turn away a show because they can't get worldwide rights.
Der Zoodirektor
23423 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Germany
Online
Posted 8/10/15

ponii-chan wrote:

These damn licensing issues are so annoying... Aren't we all children of God? Why can't some of us watch freaking anime :(? I'd go premium in a heartbeat but unfortunately it is totally not worth for people from my country... I am writing this post in order to remind CR that if they somehow convinced licensors to make all (or at least most) anime avilable worldwide, their earnings would skyrocket because I bet that there are (tens of?) thousands of people who are in the same situation as me.

Sorry for ranting, but I don't want to break ToS by using VPN and yet I want to watch some shows that are unavilable in my country.


Where are you located?
30 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Tbilisi, Georgia
Offline
Posted 8/15/15 , edited 8/15/15
Good evening everyone. Here are the stuff currently airing that's available in my country. As you can see I'm better off leeching this season again.
If they were going to resolve this issue, they should start by turning everything down that they can't make available world wide.

H*********** 1 - 0 Crunchyroll. (censored because of piracy)

40 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Santa Rosa, Laguna
Offline
Posted 8/22/15
Why not just make it available for everyone instead of this hassle?
The Wise Wizard
100963 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Online
Posted 8/22/15

DestinyTaken1989 wrote:

Why not just make it available for everyone instead of this hassle?

Are you talking to CR or the publishers (licensors)? CR doesn't have the power to "just make it available for everyone".

30 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Tbilisi, Georgia
Offline
Posted 9/12/15 , edited 2/21/16
^ They don't but... Anime studios are having hard time making money, they actually rely on Crunchyroll a bit. If Crunchyroll wants to resolve this issue, they should just turn everything down that is not gonna be available worldwide. By doing so, it will make anime studios reconsider because if their profits drops, it will be harder for them make back all that money they put into animating.

Makes sense, right?
12712 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 9/12/15 , edited 2/21/16
Nope, doesn't make sense at all. The reason they don't get international licences is often because someone else beat them to it. Refusing to negotiate on the US rights would just mean a rival service, like Funimation, could pick up the series at a lower price. The anime studios still make money while Crunchyroll commits business suicide.

For example, a company in northern Europe picks up the "Europe-wide" physical distribution rights (with streaming rights included) but does not have a streaming service and only handles physical distribution in a few countries. They sub-licence the physical distribution to a few other countries in Europe that show an interest (which may not include Georgia). Crunchyroll then has the option to pick up the rights for everywhere outside of Japan and Europe but under your scenario refuses to negotiate. It wouldn't take too much time for subscribers to leave Crunchyroll in favour of a service that provides new content.

You mention above that you are going to be "leeching", which I take as a euphemism for piracy. The more piracy there is in a country the less viable it will be for a legitimate company to make a profit. So, ironically, you are contributing to the slow growth of the anime import industry in your own country. Good luck with that...
19466 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
43 / M / Finland
Offline
Posted 9/12/15 , edited 9/12/15

MidoriNoTora wrote:
You mention above that you are going to be "leaching", which I take as a euphemism for piracy. The more piracy there is in a country the less viable it will be for a legitimate company to make a profit. So, ironically, you are contributing to the slow growth of the anime import industry in your own country. Good luck with that...

If a stream is blocked, of course most of us are going to use the 'off-site', or 'alternate', version for that particular stream. That's simple logic. What exactly was the answer you were expecting?...
12712 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 9/12/15
Why should I expect an answer when I didn't ask a question?

I was just pointing out the foolishness of complaining about the slow growth of a particular industry while taking action that will damage the same industry. If the original poster wants to take that approach then that is up to them.
19466 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
43 / M / Finland
Offline
Posted 9/12/15

MidoriNoTora wrote:

I was just pointing out the foolishness of complaining about the slow growth of a particular industry while taking action that will damage the same industry. If the original poster wants to take that approach then that is up to them.

Both ponii-chan and MrKenkadze27 were basically saying they'd pay premium if more stuff was available legally, instead of having to turn to 'unofficial' offerings of the same. Can't really see anything 'foolish' with that wish?...

And, if a show isn't available legally to enjoy in the first place, watching it by other means will hardly damage the industry, with the possible exception of physical bootlegs sold by gray market(draining purchasing power of potential customers). We are way past the era when delays and physical-only worked in the media release landscape. Slow growth or not, denying a legal option for customers isn't going to help that industry grow any faster...
12712 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 9/12/15 , edited 9/12/15

Gracias2 wrote:

Both ponii-chan and MrKenkadze27 were basically saying they'd pay premium if more stuff was available legally, instead of having to turn to 'unofficial' offerings of the same. Can't really see anything 'foolish' with that wish?...

And, if a show isn't available legally to enjoy in the first place, watching it by other means will hardly damage the industry, with the possible exception of physical bootlegs sold by gray market(draining purchasing power of potential customers). We are way past the era when delays and physical-only worked in the media release landscape. Slow growth or not, denying a legal option for customers isn't going to help that industry grow any faster...


Where did ponii-chan mention anything about leeching?
Well, thank you for the straw man argument but it is entirely irrelevant to the point I was making.

As a side note I live in the UK and have similar problems accessing anime to the rest of you (though from the descriptions above, the anime industry here appears to be more developed than in Georgia). However, piracy in any form strengthens the pirates while weakening the legitimate industry. A mature industry can absorb a certain level of piracy but I have seen too many fledgling anime companies collapse over the years to be convinced by complacent arguments.

Support the legitimate companies by buying their products/subscribing and then lobby them to increase their range of products. If you boycott their product and limit their profits then they will see investing in new genres or locations as too big a risk.

I have a massive list of anime that I have missed out on over the years but I am patient enough to wait for the legitimate methods of access to appear. In the nearly 20 years I have been buying anime I have seen the industry in the UK grow tremendously, along with the catalogue of titles they have to offer.
The Wise Wizard
100963 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Online
Posted 9/12/15

MrKenkadze27 wrote:

^ They don't but... Anime studios are having hard time making money, they actually rely on Crunchyroll a bit. If Crunchyroll wants to resolve this issue, they should just turn everything down that is not gonna be available worldwide. By doing so, it will make anime studios reconsider because if their profits drops, it will be harder for them make back all that money they put into animating.

Makes sense, right?

No, it doesn't.

I could just imagine Funimation saying, "Gee, thanks for handing us the US/Canada streaming market on a silver platter and reducing the competition for titles here, thus cutting our costs!". Companies like Aniplex of America would just continue streaming on Hulu and Daisuki.

Even if one could wave a magic wand and make CR the only streaming outlet for anime, I believe you overestimate the importance of streaming revenue to publishers. Yes, it is additional income and it is growing, but they've shown the willingness to forgo it. (If you don't believe me, I can start citing anime in the past several seasons that have been simulcast by no one, most of which still aren't streaming).

19466 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
43 / M / Finland
Offline
Posted 9/12/15 , edited 9/12/15

MidoriNoTora wrote:

Support the legitimate companies by buying their products/subscribing and then lobby them to increase their range of products. If you boycott their product and limit their profits then they will see investing in new genres or locations as too big a risk.

We would if they made the product available to us for buying/subscription. You can't seriously expect us to purchase something we're not interested in just for the vain hope it might make the company give us what we do want, later on?


I have a massive list of anime that I have missed out on over the years but I am patient enough to wait for the legitimate methods of access to appear. In the nearly 20 years I have been buying anime I have seen the industry in the UK grow tremendously, along with the catalogue of titles they have to offer.

You're welcome to forgo/wait, no-one's stopping you. Most of the rest of us will keep watching fresh stuff 'fresh'.

Edit;

TheAncientOne wrote:

Even if one could wave a magic wand and make CR the only streaming outlet for anime, I believe you overestimate the importance of streaming revenue to publishers. Yes, it is additional income and it is growing, but they've shown the willingness to forgo it. (If you don't believe me, I can start citing anime in the past several seasons that have been simulcast by no one, most of which still aren't streaming).


Two recent examples are Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha ViVid and Dog Days''. (though Dog Days'' was 'technically' licensed by CR for a few countries in South-East Asia...).

Well, those of us who wanted to watch them, simply used 'other' means for them (undersigned included)... < Proving once again that restricting a title doesn't really have an effect, other than some small amount of delay...
12712 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 9/12/15

Gracias2 wrote:

We would if they made the product available to us for buying/subscription. You can't seriously expect us to purchase something we're not interested in just for the vain hope it might make the company give us what we do want, later on?

...
...

You're welcome to forgo/wait, no-one's stopping you. Most of the rest of us will keep watching fresh stuff 'fresh'.


As I said before:


I was just pointing out the foolishness of complaining about the slow growth of a particular industry while taking action that will damage the same industry. If the original poster wants to take that approach then that is up to them.


If you want to take a particular action then feel free to do so. Also, feel free to take the moral high ground with arguments like "they forced me to become a pirate". I'll just sit here and roll my eyes.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.