First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Nichijou/My Ordinary Life
23583 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/7/14
I hope someone does pick it up, it'd be good if it got a western blu-ray release too (ideally region B compatible). I don't have a DVD player that would work with the Australian release at the moment.

I think it'd be a good fit with the UK company "All The Anime"/"Anime Limited" (not sure what they're officially called, the former I think). They've had some success with Kickstarter for films and I think Nichijou would be a decent candidate for that at least (especially if they can cooperate with the people that released it in Australia to make a blu-ray). I guess the licensing situation might be complicated for them though.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. I do hope I'll get to see it again some day though.
13945 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / New Jersey
Offline
Posted 9/7/14

Smeelia wrote:

I don't have a DVD player that would work with the Australian release at the moment.



Many (but not all) DVD players have a "service menu" which can allow you to set "region 0". If you've not already tried it, look for your particular DVD player here, http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks.

On topic, with the announcement of these shows losing their CR license, I recently ordered the AU release. It looks like a few months ago they combined the two older releases into a single 4-disc release.
The Wise Wizard
100941 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 9/7/14

Smeelia wrote:

I hope someone does pick it up, it'd be good if it got a western blu-ray release too (ideally region B compatible). I don't have a DVD player that would work with the Australian release at the moment.

If you have a PC with DVD drive, another method is to use free software to rip the DVD (removing the region protection) and re-burn it as a region-free DVD.

Posted 9/7/14

TheAncientOne wrote:


Smeelia wrote:

I hope someone does pick it up, it'd be good if it got a western blu-ray release too (ideally region B compatible). I don't have a DVD player that would work with the Australian release at the moment.

If you have a PC with DVD drive, another method is to use free software to rip the DVD (removing the region protection) and re-burn it as a region-free DVD.



Wise Wizard indeed. I had no idea I could do this.
23583 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/8/14

yngvarr wrote:

Many (but not all) DVD players have a "service menu" which can allow you to set "region 0". If you've not already tried it, look for your particular DVD player here, http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks.


TheAncientOne wrote:

If you have a PC with DVD drive, another method is to use free software to rip the DVD (removing the region protection) and re-burn it as a region-free DVD.

Thanks for the advice both of you. I'll consider getting the Australian DVDs but I'll probably wait a while and see if anyone does pick it up for another release first.
72528 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
45 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 9/8/14
I used to have a really cheap DVD player that asked what region it was in every time you turned it on. Sadly, it was not a quality item so it died years ago. I couldn't find a service menu on my current DVD players to set the region but my PC works fine.

Japanese Blurays are the best though, same region as Canada and the US so absolutely no messing around is required. I've been spoiled by 720 and 1080, DVD quality just isn't good enough any more so if Bluray is available, I always get the Bluray.
23583 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/8/14

hpulley wrote:

Japanese Blurays are the best though, same region as Canada and the US so absolutely no messing around is required. I've been spoiled by 720 and 1080, DVD quality just isn't good enough any more so if Bluray is available, I always get the Bluray.

I kind of feel the same, I can still stand DVD quality but I much prefer to get a blu-ray if possible. On the downside, I live in the UK so the blu-ray region is different. Japanese blu-rays also have the disadvantage of usually not having English subtitles and then there's the cost of course. I like Nichijou enough that I'd consider getting the Japanese blu-rays but I'd have to save up a lot, get a region A player and learn Japanese so I'd prefer a localised blu-ray.

That said, I do intend to get a region A player at some point since there are some US releases I wouldn't mind getting but can't currently play (though I've been lucky in that quite a lot of series that I like are compatible or get a UK release). I think a Nichijou blu-ray release would have a reasonable chance of being region B compatible since it might also be released in Australia (although I'm not sure how likely a blu-ray release is in the first place).
72528 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
45 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 9/8/14

Smeelia wrote:


hpulley wrote:

Japanese Blurays are the best though, same region as Canada and the US so absolutely no messing around is required. I've been spoiled by 720 and 1080, DVD quality just isn't good enough any more so if Bluray is available, I always get the Bluray.

I kind of feel the same, I can still stand DVD quality but I much prefer to get a blu-ray if possible. On the downside, I live in the UK so the blu-ray region is different. Japanese blu-rays also have the disadvantage of usually not having English subtitles and then there's the cost of course. I like Nichijou enough that I'd consider getting the Japanese blu-rays but I'd have to save up a lot, get a region A player and learn Japanese so I'd prefer a localised blu-ray.

That said, I do intend to get a region A player at some point since there are some US releases I wouldn't mind getting but can't currently play (though I've been lucky in that quite a lot of series that I like are compatible or get a UK release). I think a Nichijou blu-ray release would have a reasonable chance of being region B compatible since it might also be released in Australia (although I'm not sure how likely a blu-ray release is in the first place).

For some older series like Nichijou I agree that Bluray quality isn't as important.

You are right about the expense and that few shows gets subs in Japan because they're meant for Japan. All the more reason to try and learn it so you know just how much artistic license they generally take with subtitles.
36732 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / US
Offline
Posted 9/12/14

hpulley wrote:
You are right about the expense and that few shows gets subs in Japan because they're meant for Japan. All the more reason to try and learn it so you know just how much artistic license they generally take with subtitles.


I once priced the Nichijou imports from some specialty website; I think with the exchange rate, it came to about $75/disc, before shipping. There were 13 discs, as I recall. So, over a grand to collect the whole series. And that's without subtitles, rendering it pretty useless to me.

Those are the kinds of prices I remember people complaining about on the Usenet back in 1990 for their import LaserDiscs of anime, which they then still had to convert to NTSC. I could see the appeal of such dedication back then, but today, uh, no.
72528 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
45 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 9/12/14 , edited 9/12/14

tcfenstermaker wrote:


hpulley wrote:
You are right about the expense and that few shows gets subs in Japan because they're meant for Japan. All the more reason to try and learn it so you know just how much artistic license they generally take with subtitles.


I once priced the Nichijou imports from some specialty website; I think with the exchange rate, it came to about $75/disc, before shipping. There were 13 discs, as I recall. So, over a grand to collect the whole series. And that's without subtitles, rendering it pretty useless to me.

Those are the kinds of prices I remember people complaining about on the Usenet back in 1990 for their import LaserDiscs of anime, which they then still had to convert to NTSC. I could see the appeal of such dedication back then, but today, uh, no.

Well, since you've waited so long, it is not that expensive. A nice Bluray box came out last year, the complete Nichijou collection for only 26000 yen or around $260 which as 2-cour imports go, is pretty darned cheap. Still no subs though:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00CDO3IF0
16752 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
15 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 9/12/14 , edited 9/12/14
I just finished it before it got taken off Crunchyroll, it was awesome. I wish it would get licensed, but that probably won't happen anytime soon.
Rohzek 
15004 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 9/12/14 , edited 9/12/14
Well, whoever owns the rights to it now is only losing money by not doing anything with it. People will watch it one way or another.

It makes me sad that so much garbage gets DVD releases with nothing more than "plot," but a show with the quirky and over the top humor along with luscious and gratuitous artistic expression doesn't sell as well, and thus will never see the light of day in terms of releases. Really a big shame, and makes me want to end some lives.
18894 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 9/13/14

stark700 wrote:


EclipsedArchon wrote:


stark700 wrote:


EclipsedArchon wrote:

TMoHS is leaving us too... This makes me sad, I want my KyoAni back


There's Amagi Brilliant Park this Fall and Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu might be also produced by Kyoto Animation.


Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu needs to be KyoAni, if that happens I'll forgive them for the lack of another season of Haruhi... For now at least...

Oh is Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! getting taken off too? I never got around to watching it yet.


Season 2 already ended.


Another season as in season 3
215311 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Anime World
Offline
Posted 9/13/14

EclipsedArchon wrote:

Another season as in season 3


There's no season 3 announcement but there is a volume coming out soon.
The Wise Wizard
100941 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 9/13/14

Rohzek wrote:

Well, whoever owns the rights to it now is only losing money by not doing anything with it. People will watch it one way or another.

Unfortunately, licensing doesn't grant immediate access to all the materials necessary to create the DVD or BD release.

For example, Funimation licensed a number of titles in mid-2010 from Geneon Universal in Japan, but due to the merger the company was undergoing at the time, it took over 2 years before they started getting the materials for those titles. Once they did, however, the titles started coming out at a good pace.

Hopefully, we won't have a wait approaching anything like that, but it happens some times. Appropriately, the third question (the one from Tayler) in this week's Answerman column at ANN is on a relevant subject.

First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.