First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Drug culture
27270 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 9/14/14 , edited 9/14/14

HandTye wrote:

Generally people who do drugs that are terrible are terrible to begin with anyway. I've never understood how things go so bad for some people who do drugs. Like, stealing shit, sexual assault, going broke, dying at raves, eating peoples faces.....like what the hell?! Maybe I'm just a super/awesome/fun/beautiful/amazing dude who doesn't have an addictive personality, cuz I really don't understand what some people do because of drugs.

To answer OP's question: I think drug culture is super lame.



MattAzn wrote:

The people in my school tried to do jenkums. They are so stupid.


I thought that was just the stuff of urban legends! Amazing.


Way more people have used hard drugs than you seem to think. I think it takes accounts from both sides to craft an objectively reasonable opinion. Do you believe all people who have tried hard drugs are terrible?

If so, I am one of them. I tried a few to see what they were like and ended up not favoring them due to their prohibitive costs and aftereffects. I tend to weigh the costs and benefits. I find hard drugs not worth it for several reasons but do not believe mere use means moral depravity.

I know some lawyers and doctors who have had a history of drug abuse. One of the nicest pastors I've met (who speaks like 7 languages and regularly goes on missions in third-world countries) admitted to using meth in his youth.

Don't misunderstand. I'm not saying drugs are healthy, by any means, but drug laws are malum prohibitum, not malum in se. They are like certain traffic laws. Mere possession or use does not accurately indicate a depraved nature. Yet many believe merely breaking a law indicates that the offender is immoral.
Posted 9/14/14 , edited 9/14/14

Morbidhanson wrote:



"Generally people who do drugs that are terrible are terrible to begin with anyway."

What I meant by that was, those who are shitty people and do drugs are still shitty people without the drugs. The drugs have nothing to do with how they suck. Sorry for the confusion! :3
27270 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 9/14/14

HandTye wrote:


Morbidhanson wrote:



"Generally people who do drugs that are terrible are terrible to begin with anyway."

What I meant by that was, those who are shitty people and do drugs are still shitty people without the drugs. The drugs have nothing to do with how they suck. Sorry for the confusion! :3


Ah, gotcha. Yeah, shitty people tend to stay shitty until something eye-opening hits them and makes them not shitty. But you can argue that the consequences of drug abuse can possibly make them realize they have to clean up their act and get things together
6301 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 9/14/14
Pot is nothing, Alcohol is also nothing unless you drink 24/7, all you people acting like people who drink/smoke are destroying they're lives you obviously haven't spent much time in the outside world. Now when it comes to the heavier stuff like Methamphetamine and Heroine, that's when it gets out of control. Also everyone saying they don't understand what's fun about these things probably have never tried it.
37254 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/14/14
I used to be wrapped up in the whole modern hippy scene. Lots of pot, molly, acid and mushrooms. It's pretty harmless but also kinda dumb.

Selling weed has historically been the family business. Made/lost a lot of money. Thankfully we are all out of the game now but when we were younger we did some pretty rough things in the name of money. At the worst point I was involved in a kidnapping/robbery. Pretty crazy times.

Just quit smoking weed a few months ago after getting stoned every day for 10+ years. Totally straight edge now. I don't even drink or smoke cigs anymore.

Drugs are bad mkay?
65558 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Baka Zone
Offline
Posted 9/14/14
But I'm high on Skittles.

On a serious note, I never liked to do drugs. People around me have, but I don't see the point in such a thing.
15788 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / So. Cal
Online
Posted 9/14/14 , edited 9/14/14
drugs are all some people have to get them through the day, they'll outlaw dreamin' next.

We're all just letting a bunch of rich fat cats run our lives...
86464 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Colorado, USA
Offline
Posted 9/14/14 , edited 9/14/14

AiYumega wrote:
I understand the current "hip" thing to do is be for the legalization of this and that, but I just can't get behind it.


Coloradan here. And not a drug user, who wholeheartedly voted for legalizing recreational cannabis (marijuana) usage. While support of legalization was pretty large in scale, change in stance on using it was minimal. Many like myself felt that cannabis was in the same class as alcohol (minus the difference in fatal overdosages, being regular for alcohol and not cannabis), and that they should be treated the same. In history, we've tried prohibiting alcohol before and that had terrible terrible consequences. Also the history around prohibiting cannabis was pretty negative (will add a note of this near the end). Legalizing cannabis has had pretty instant evidence of the goals for doing it, particularly people no longer having to be shady or secretive about the means of acquisition, plus Colorado's economy has received a noticable quick boost (and it is anticipated we will see a long term boost).

Not only were we early adopters of legalizing cannabis, we were also early adopters of several heavy restrictions on cigarette smoking. Banning it from restaurants entirely, restricting it in many public areas, and taxing it heavily (when there's not disagreeable terms snuck in, which has been attempted multiple times (for where the money goes)). There is overall awareness of and respect for drugs not being a good thing. If I ask a smoker to get further away from doors or such, they respect it pretty well (of varying qualities, some only move over one foot, which does nothing, but the intention counts). And when I decline someone's offer of a drug, they are fine with that one response (and reverse, someone asking me for a cigarette or otherwise is a similar offense-less exchange).

Perhaps you've also been distracted by my use of the word "cannabis" instead of marijuana. They're the same exact thing. Cannabis was the original name. "Marijuana", originally only a very niche name, became popular by the government's influence. Politics for the sake of a politician looking like he did something, the name "marijuana" was pushed to emphasize the "street name" of it and make it clear that it is a dangerous street drug. So that and the rest of the prohibiting of it was purely based out of politics, not stats or any science. Though this is not well known even in Colorado, support for it was just the stats, science, and economics around it.

My general lack of interest in alcohol, tobacco, cannabis, etc,is expressed as, "If I must rely on chemicals to enjoy a social event, then it is self-deceptive to claim any enjoyment of the event; it implies my normal self is inadequate." I do often try Alcohol however, because it also has an appeal to the specific sense of taste instead of being psychoactive-centric. I find most of it unpleasant, but there are a few tastes so strange I try them on multiple occasions to figure it out. Nothing so interesting as to motivate me to buy any myself.
Sogno- 
46329 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/14/14
idk but i always think drugs are scary, whether they're prescription (legal) or not
73828 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Central KY.
Offline
Posted 9/14/14
I was addicted to Opiates and for close to 5 Years. It began by Pain pills Prescribed from a surgery on My neck. Then I had a series of more surgical procedures done on My Prostate. By the time I knew it, I was a full blown addict. I attended 5 Rehabs before I was able to simply give them up through a short stint with Buprenorphine therapy. Since, I've been Sober for going on 7 Years; almost the amount of time that I've been attending Medical School. In a way, I think it helps that I will eventually be an MD that has experienced addiction first hand. So many Doctors toss Addictive medications out to their Patients like it's candy, and it absolutely ruins lives. I live in Kentucky, which is One of the ABSOLUTE WORST states for Opioid addiction. With the prices of Pain pills having gone up ridiculously on the Streets, everyone is now moving on to Use Heroin. It absolutely breaks My heart. I'm not saying these Medications don't have a time and a place, but they should only be Used under the most stringent of situations and prognoses.

Love You Guys. <3
3788 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / The Far Shore
Offline
Posted 9/14/14
don't care what people drink/smoke/do as long as they fully know the consequences of doing that kinda stuff
24914 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / California
Offline
Posted 9/14/14

camay1997 wrote:

drugs are all some people have to get them through the day, they'll outlaw dreamin' next.

We're all just letting a bunch of rich fat cats run our lives...


Someone that relies on drugs to get them through the day is someone that needs to get their priorities straight. There are plenty of things to fall back on besides drugs. I feel no sympathy on someone who "relies" on them.
3788 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / The Far Shore
Offline
Posted 9/14/14 , edited 9/14/14

Zatheko wrote:


camay1997 wrote:

drugs are all some people have to get them through the day, they'll outlaw dreamin' next.

We're all just letting a bunch of rich fat cats run our lives...


Someone that relies on drugs to get them through the day is someone that needs to get their priorities straight. There are plenty of things to fall back on besides drugs. I feel no sympathy on someone who "relies" on them.


i disagree, mostly because it's an addiction. it's so hard to get off of it. not everybody has access to rehabilitation or support. at some point i'd say it's considered an illness, because they can't control themselves and the longer they go without *insert drug* the more nauseous and shakey and out of their mind they get. it's terrible.

people resort to drugs for a lot of reasons that shouldn't be dismissed and they shouldn't be considered stupid to try and cope in that way. it's sad.
24914 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / California
Offline
Posted 9/14/14

awune wrote:


Zatheko wrote:


camay1997 wrote:

drugs are all some people have to get them through the day, they'll outlaw dreamin' next.

We're all just letting a bunch of rich fat cats run our lives...


Someone that relies on drugs to get them through the day is someone that needs to get their priorities straight. There are plenty of things to fall back on besides drugs. I feel no sympathy on someone who "relies" on them.


i disagree, mostly because it's an addiction. it's so hard to get off of it. not everybody has access to rehabilitation or support. at some point i'd say it's considered an illness, because they can't control themselves and the longer they go without *insert drug* the more nauseous and shakey and out of their mind they get. it's terrible.

people resort for drugs for a lot of reasons that shouldn't be dismissed and they shouldn't be considered stupid to try and cope in that way. it's sad.


I meant more in the way of the guy that feels that he "needs" to do marijuana or drink alcohol because they don't think there's any other way.

Of course I know about the addiction when it comes to the hardcore drugs and yeah when you are addicted you can't help it. But they still won't have my full sympathy because they could have just refused drugs in the first place ( I am aware there are cases where people are forced but that another issue) they should have been aware of the consequences.
14468 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / California
Offline
Posted 9/14/14
Drugs are for dorks!
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.