First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Fate/guide: Everything you need to know to get into the series
31050 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Ar
Offline
Posted 9/16/14
Seeing so much info in these posts about routes, options, points, counter points, counter counter points, etc... is making my head spin. My first intro into fate was from recommendations of a really good anime to see if your looking for a good anime. Hence, Fate Zero came up. So, I watched it all, and Netflix has (mb had because I haven't looked for it in awhile) Fate Stay Night which I watched through I think episode 13 and then stopped. Big fan of Fate Kaleid so far and looking forward to season 3.
52119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 9/16/14

rcsatcrunchyroll wrote:

*slides into this topic*



If you have a PSP and / or a Vita, I recommend playing Fate / Extra. It may not take place in the same universe(s) as the anime and the VNs, but it still has a fantastic story, and is well worth your time. (It has also the best Saber and the best Caster, but that is my own personal opinion, albeit one that is shared by a number of fans.0


I wish they would have made Fate/Extra Saber's design more... unique... I have no issues with the gender change, though. Ok, maybe a little...
57034 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Planet Sanno
Offline
Posted 9/16/14

Shrapnel893 wrote:
I have no issues with the gender change, though.




Are we talking about the same Saber here, the one in the red dress?
52119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 9/16/14 , edited 9/16/14

rcsatcrunchyroll wrote:

Are we talking about the same Saber here, the one in the red dress?


I believe so. This one, correct?



About the gender change:

1460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Europe
Offline
Posted 9/17/14
is indeed the best version of Saber. It's also amongst the characters you would never want to meet in real life.


As for Fate/Extra - while the normal Extra storyline is a bit meh(decent but nothing to write home about), Fate/Extra CCC storyline and character growth is majestic and brilliant. Too bad it will never get localized.
Koda89 
33626 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Oklahoma City, OK
Offline
Posted 9/17/14

Kitanishi wrote:

Its not exactly correct to call Illya a "spin off set in separate universe", because that describes every single work in nasuverse as even FSN is set in three separate alternate universes and FSN as work itself is set in alternate set of universes to the ones in Tsukihime and KNK. There's no "mainline" canon in nasuverse. All works have equal status, just like all three fsn routes have equal status and happen in separate worlds.

Prisma Illya simply branches out just before Fate/Zero events, while works like Apocrypha branch out during Third Grail War.

Also F/HA is not exactly a sequel.


This is the basic timeline of fateverse part of nasuverse that I seen on tumblr:


What do you suggest someone like me who doesn't want to play the F/SN VN at all(I don't have time to play a VN) should do? I keep hearing from damn near everyone that I'd be confused if I just jump into the UBW anime without any prior Fate exposure. And since I tend to hate shows that confuse me, I don't want to go in confused.

Going by that chart my options seem to be:

1) See Fate/Zero first, but thus spoil UBW's twists.
2) See UBW first, but risk being confused.
3) Just continue to say screw it to the Fate series because pretty much every single one of the anime adaptations assume you've played the damned visual novel.

Keep in mind, I don't particularly care if I spoil things for UBW. I care more about being confused or not. Just because I know what happens, doesn't mean I can't still get enjoyment out of seeing it happen. So I'm currently leaning towards option 1. I really don't want to go with option 3, cause I do want to get into the Fate series(though, again, without playing the VN cause I don't have the time for that).
1460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Europe
Offline
Posted 9/17/14 , edited 9/17/14

Koda89 wrote:


Kitanishi wrote:

Its not exactly correct to call Illya a "spin off set in separate universe", because that describes every single work in nasuverse as even FSN is set in three separate alternate universes and FSN as work itself is set in alternate set of universes to the ones in Tsukihime and KNK. There's no "mainline" canon in nasuverse. All works have equal status, just like all three fsn routes have equal status and happen in separate worlds.

Prisma Illya simply branches out just before Fate/Zero events, while works like Apocrypha branch out during Third Grail War.

Also F/HA is not exactly a sequel.


This is the basic timeline of fateverse part of nasuverse that I seen on tumblr:


What do you suggest someone like me who doesn't want to play the F/SN VN at all(I don't have time to play a VN) should do? I keep hearing from damn near everyone that I'd be confused if I just jump into the UBW anime without any prior Fate exposure. And since I tend to hate shows that confuse me, I don't want to go in confused.

Going by that chart my options seem to be:

1) See Fate/Zero first, but thus spoil UBW's twists.
2) See UBW first, but risk being confused.
3) Just continue to say screw it to the Fate series because pretty much every single one of the anime adaptations assume you've played the damned visual novel.

Keep in mind, I don't particularly care if I spoil things for UBW. I care more about being confused or not. Just because I know what happens, doesn't mean I can't still get enjoyment out of seeing it happen. So I'm currently leaning towards option 1. I really don't want to go with option 3, cause I do want to get into the Fate series(though, again, without playing the VN cause I don't have the time for that).



Best option if you do not want to touch the VN, is to wait for this remake. You won't get confused since all the explanations of how things work are in FSN and not Fate/Zero.

Watching Fate/Zero first would ensure that you would be completely confused at what is going on for entire second half of the show(since why and how is explained in FSN). What's more knowing things in advance from Fate/Zero would be even more confusing, since not all of them would be touched upon in UBW.

Watching UBW first you would be, at most, confused about ONE character(who gets a lot of coverage in the first route) and even then its nothing major, since you would learn that backstory watching Fate/Zero after it anyway. AT worst case scenario if you will want to know more about that character latter on you will be always able to look up the walk through of that route on youtube, since its the shortest route anyway.

So yeah, start with this upcoming remake.

Then, depending on your willpower either wait for Heaven's Feel movies (that will come in 2015) to come out(for maximum enjoyment) or go at it with Fate/Zero.
57034 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Planet Sanno
Offline
Posted 9/17/14

Shrapnel893 wrote:
I believe so. This one, correct?]


Yeah, that'd be the one (whom I have indeed studied; I'm pretty big on Roman, Byzantine, and Turkish history). I was just wondering why a gender change would be a thing because, y'know, the same thing happened to original flavor Saber. I wouldn't think it'd be noteworthy in the context of this series.
6403 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / The Abyss of Time
Offline
Posted 9/17/14 , edited 9/17/14

Shrapnel893


Thats the way I feel, but instead I constantly have to see people that want to treat the Deen adaptation as 'that which shall not be named', when its actually a fine intro to the series.


Koda89



Honestly I don't know if you can fully avoid some confusion but most of it can be cleared up without the VN, via wikia/tvtropes/other anime and manga versions, etc. I don't really think the 2006 F/SN really expects you to have read the VN that much since it explains some stuff (not all but some), but the way I learned about the basic stuff was just to skim various places to try to fill in the gaps. I'd suggest staying away from the UBW movie (not the upcoming series) as it heavily heavily expects you to have a lot of the story already down, thus mostly focuses on keeping the action scenes going rather than core story.
52119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 9/17/14 , edited 9/17/14

rcsatcrunchyroll wrote:

Yeah, that'd be the one (whom I have indeed studied; I'm pretty big on Roman, Byzantine, and Turkish history). I was just wondering why a gender change would be a thing because, y'know, the same thing happened to original flavor Saber. I wouldn't think it'd be noteworthy in the context of this series.


I dunno, I guess it's because I'd like a male Saber for a change. And, if female, one who doesn't resemble the "original" Saber (I put original in quotations because the Saber from Fate/prototype is technically the original Saber and he's male).

Off topic, but about you being big on Roman, Byzantine, and Turkish history -- have you ever played the Total War series of computer games? They're pretty fun.
83796 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / at the Earls wait
Offline
Posted 9/17/14
This was very informative thanks. I may try to seriously follow Fate one day if I get the time.
1460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Europe
Offline
Posted 9/17/14

rcsatcrunchyroll wrote:


Shrapnel893 wrote:
I believe so. This one, correct?]


Yeah, that'd be the one (whom I have indeed studied; I'm pretty big on Roman, Byzantine, and Turkish history). I was just wondering why a gender change would be a thing because, y'know, the same thing happened to original flavor Saber. I wouldn't think it'd be noteworthy in the context of this series.


Posted 9/30/14
I recently finished Fate/Zero and LOVED it!
I plan on watching the upcoming Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works (released in just a few more days!), thanks to all the help from this post! :3

This aided in my decision as to watch F/SN (2006), or F/SN: UBW (2014 series). I greatly appreciate it!
63542 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Colorado
Offline
Posted 9/30/14 , edited 2/18/15
I disagree with your stance on the sex scenes! They need to be experienced by everyone that reads the VN! They're amazing, deal with it!!!!!
1931 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/30/14

LoomyTheBrew wrote:

I disagree with your stance on the sex scenes! They need to be experienced by everyone that reads the VN! They're amazing, deal with it!!!!!


No, just no. It is cringe worthy, especially the fate and ubw it seems so forced (no pun intended).
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.