Post Reply Flash does not use the GPU for streaming
17105 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / louisiana USA
Offline
Posted 9/17/14
For a while now I can not get a flash player to use the gpu on my video card, but instead my computer uses the CPU.

Can Crunchyroll please fix this problem. Using the gpu will make buffering the video allot easier on the system.
59494 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Dallas, TX
Online
Posted 9/17/14

mysticdx wrote:

For a while now I can not get a flash player to use the gpu on my video card, but instead my computer uses the CPU.

Can Crunchyroll please fix this problem. Using the gpu will make buffering the video allot easier on the system.


This does not sound like a CR-specific problem, unless you are only seeing this behavior here.

Have you made any changes to your system lately, such as a driver or Flash update?
29995 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 9/17/14
I'm curious as to how you are able to tell which one is getting used...? And shouldn't they be using your GPU by default...?
17105 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / louisiana USA
Offline
Posted 9/17/14
I have a gaming rig that uses fx 8350 CPU and a amd 7870 video cards. There is software that monitors the video card and when watching the video I can tell if it is in use or not. I have also turned off and on the hardware acceleration on the flash video player. Nothing changes.
29995 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 9/17/14 , edited 9/17/14

mysticdx wrote:

I have a gaming rig that uses fx 8350 CPU and a amd 7870 video cards. There is software that monitors the video card and when watching the video I can tell if it is in use or not. I have also turned off and on the hardware acceleration on the flash video player. Nothing changes.


Hardware acceleration is supposed to enable your GPU for streaming. You definitely want to leave that on or else it'll just be your CPU that's taking up all the heat.
17105 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / louisiana USA
Offline
Posted 9/17/14
Sorry I did not say before, I left the hardware acceleration on.
29995 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 9/17/14

mysticdx wrote:

Sorry I did not say before, I left the hardware acceleration on.


If the hardware acceleration is enabled, then it should be doing what it's supposed to do. I don't know what to tell you bud...:/
22288 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / Texas
Online
Posted 9/17/14
Right - click while a video is loaded to make sure it's checked . Now if it's an XP o/s then it's disabled & uses the cpu (thks MS).
17105 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / louisiana USA
Offline
Posted 9/18/14
I have windows 7 and using google chrome. Thanks anyway for the information.
9085 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/18/14
I saw this thread, and have noticed something - sometimes the flash player will stream better if you keep it open vs manually advancing to the next title.

Perhaps this is some bug related to the gpu streaming?

I don't have a dedicated gaming rig or I'd try this myself.
You must be logged in to post.