First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Copyright holders want to ban VPN users from Netflix
9312 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Over there
Offline
Posted 9/17/14
http://torrentfreak.com/copyright-holders-want-netflix-ban-vpn-users-140917/

I just want to spread this around. Shed some light on how damn stupid some copyright holders are.



salvagesalvage • 5 hours ago
VPN or not they get paid for people watching their stuff and yet they still bitch.

It's almost like they want people to pirate, I suppose there's more money to be made there then just selling content for a fair price.

Should be interesting to see if the VPN providers come back with a work-around.




H0OIler • 4 hours ago
This is so stupid. Those 200,000 people are paying customers. If copyright cartel manages to get Netflix to restrict VPNs, watch those 200,000 people become pirates overnight. Then Netflix and the copyright cartel get nothing, not a dime!




Boltie • 4 hours ago
Paying customers being told they aren't worthy. WOW.




SunnyZ • 3 hours ago
How are you a pirate if you pay for a service to access content?

Just pulling stuff out their ass again.




fitt-a-matic • 5 hours ago
So people pay for a legit service and they want to ban users who only want to bypass senseless regional restrictions?. MAFIAA stupidity pops up again.




Thomas • 5 hours ago
Good work idiot copyright holders, you're only making more people become pirates. :P
Those VPN users use a VPN to watch the shows that you for a stupid reason regional block in their countries. How do you think they'll get a hold of those shows now? *drumroll* Piracy.
You claim you want people to stop pirating your crap, but then you do stupid shit like this.

^this is me

Well you get my point.
The copyright holders say they want to get rid of piracy, but then they do that shit. :P
Oh the logic of the copyright holders baffles me. How the heck can they be so damn stupid?!

Using a VPN, proxy etc isn't illegal, in most countries.
And it's just bs to say everyone who used a VPN or proxy is a pirate
14528 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Houma
Offline
Posted 9/17/14
It is also useful to evade throttling by ISPs that own competing services, and once again these idiots fail to realize that piracy is mostly a distribution/availability problem...
34498 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M
Offline
Posted 9/17/14 , edited 9/17/14
The problem is this... an Australian company X may buy the exclusive rights to sell a particular US show in Australia... now with this netflix VPN system... Australian users may get show, bypassing company X. Company X gets nothing. Company X is upset, because it paid for the rights to sell this show.

Company X is now upset with the US company it bought the rights from and wants its money back.
14528 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Houma
Offline
Posted 9/17/14

otakurocklee wrote:

The problem is this... an Australian company X may buy the rights to sell a particular US show in Australia... now with this netflix VPN system... Australian users may get show, bypassing company X. Company X gets nothing. Company X is upset, because it paid for the rights to sell this show.

Company X is now upset with the US company it bought the rights from and wants their money back.


And that is the fundamental problem, why limit your profits by making these exclusive deals? In the past these deals were necessary because content had trouble finding markets and it was risky but now with the flow of information that isn't an issue anymore. Deals like this are done because they aren't confident their content will sell so they take these deals more more front-loaded money.
37527 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 9/17/14 , edited 9/17/14
What is a VPN customer? What is that all about?

I might actually know about these things, I might have heard about them before...I just can't remember what VPN stands for, if I ever once knew what the acronym stood for.
508 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 9/17/14
You have to realize that companies are not out to make people happy most of the time. Their sole objective is to make money. If they feel VPN is making them lose money they will complain and try to stop it.
14528 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Houma
Offline
Posted 9/17/14
Here is a question though.... How DO you stop a VPN? You can really only block a range known to be used by those servers and if that happens the VPN providers are out to make money too; it will be a constant game of evasion...

Those very same VPN uses may end up just using to it obscure and encrypt their traffic to pirate the content.

You cannot stop people, they WILL go out and take what they want if there is no legal avenue for them.
22053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M
Offline
Posted 9/17/14

Dubnoman wrote:

What is a VPN customer? What is that all about?

I might actually know about these things, I might have heard about them before...I just can't remember what VPN stands for, if I ever once knew what the acronym stood for.


In most cases, a VPN is basically a service that routes your internet traffic through another computer, making it seem as though it's origin is somewhere different than it actually is. So, person X in Bolivia can route their internet traffic through the US and get access to shows on Netflix, Hulu, Crunchyroll, etc that are restricted in Bolivia but available in the US. It stands for virtual private network.
34498 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M
Offline
Posted 9/17/14



Well you get my point.
The copyright holders say they want to get rid of piracy, but then they do that shit. :P
Oh the logic of the copyright holders baffles me. How the heck can they be so damn stupid?!



I'm not sure how the money in this system works exactly.

But it does seem to me the copyright holders lose money due to VPNs.

Say some owner of some digital content decides to let Netflix distribute it's content worldwide... for say a fixed price $1 million... but Netflix counters and says... no we can't sell in all countries, only these few countries... so instead we'll pay $500,000 just for the rights to sell in those few countries. So they agree to that.

But with VPN's, Netflix is distributing the content to those extra countries... but they never paid for the rights to sell to those countries... I don't think the copyright holders get any extra money when a Netflix customer on a VPN pays to watch a show.

Now no other company will pay to distribute the content in the remaining countries, because netflix is already doing so with VPNs.

The copyright holders in the above case lose $500,000.

So Netflix is gaining money either way... but the copyright holders aren't.

That's the way I'm seeing it.
20928 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Online
Posted 9/17/14 , edited 9/17/14
Shhhh Silence... Crunchyroll is not a place for this kind of topic....

How on earth they are gonna ban VPN user if most of news vpn are ipv6 based , most powerfull one are non ip adress.

I support VPN for some content only and not for all, in case like our page crunchyroll i do this and most people do it too:
-Find a legal way to stream it if not
- Torrent it. Nuff said

If the company does not want my money form the rating census of a show, fine, I just download it.
34498 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M
Offline
Posted 9/17/14

GreatLordBalzak wrote:


otakurocklee wrote:

The problem is this... an Australian company X may buy the rights to sell a particular US show in Australia... now with this netflix VPN system... Australian users may get show, bypassing company X. Company X gets nothing. Company X is upset, because it paid for the rights to sell this show.

Company X is now upset with the US company it bought the rights from and wants their money back.


And that is the fundamental problem, why limit your profits by making these exclusive deals? In the past these deals were necessary because content had trouble finding markets and it was risky but now with the flow of information that isn't an issue anymore. Deals like this are done because they aren't confident their content will sell so they take these deals more more front-loaded money.


Well, the problem is on both ends... the distributer and the content holder...

The content holder figures... I'll try to sell region-specific licenses for my content... and I'll try to sell each of them for the highest price possible. So that may involve selling to different distributors...

The distributer figures... I'll only buy enough regional-licenses to ensure I get a profit... so he may have a reason for not buying all of them.

The problem is... region-specific licenses are tough to enforce...

So what would be the end result... say a content holder says... either you buy all the worldwide licenses or none, this region-specific stuff is impossible. The distributor says... well forget it, I can't afford that. I won't distribute your product. That's not a good situation either...

So one big "world" license... vs many smaller region-specific licenses... the first is a tougher sell...
37527 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 9/17/14

meatycheesyboy wrote:


Dubnoman wrote:

What is a VPN customer? What is that all about?

I might actually know about these things, I might have heard about them before...I just can't remember what VPN stands for, if I ever once knew what the acronym stood for.


In most cases, a VPN is basically a service that routes your internet traffic through another computer, making it seem as though it's origin is somewhere different than it actually is. So, person X in Bolivia can route their internet traffic through the US and get access to shows on Netflix, Hulu, Crunchyroll, etc that are restricted in Bolivia but available in the US. It stands for virtual private network.




So...is it shady and against the service providers rules (service providers of services like Netflix, Crunchyroll, etc.) I can understand how someone in Bolivia would like having a way to view, say, the US content from Crunchyroll, but if they aren't playing by the rules of the companies...I mean, would the idea of banning VPN people really be all that outrageous; would it be all that unreasonable for companies to want to do it?

Unless I'm not getting it and VPNs are actually A-Ok to do this sort of thing. But it seems like it is shady business, breaking/bending the rules, etc.
14528 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Houma
Offline
Posted 9/17/14 , edited 9/17/14
Exclusive licensing deals are pretty shady and anti-competitive themselves... don't just sell to one provider, sell to them all.
29391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / lala land!
Offline
Posted 9/17/14 , edited 6/28/16
so.. VPN...

lets take something from CR and Funimation for example..

CR gets the rights to an anime for all countries EXCEPT North America (that's Canada and the U.S.)
Funimation gets the rights to stream that same anime ONLY in North America.

So a VPN would bypass CR's restrictions and allow someone in the US to watch the anime on their site instead of watching it on Funimation's site or waiting the 3 weeks for Funimation to post it on Hulu..

obviously this is a simple explanation.. but seriously.. I can't blame them for wanting it blocked.

in this case Funimation looses money. which means less chances of pulling a larger selection of titles for us to legally watch, which supports funimation, the creators, and distributors.

let's say it was reversed and the people used the VPN on funimation's site to watch something that CR paid loads of money to bring to the US and Canada (etc)..

enough people start doing this and it will hurt the bottom line. it's EXPENSIVE for CR to stream that anime.. they don't just have to pay for the anime rights. they have to pay the people who go out there and get the rights, and the people who support them. they have to pay for the websites and the data streams, they have to pay customer service agents and developers. the list goes on and on.

the more the consumer uses something like VPN's to circumvent and take money away from that revolving system, the more we loose in the end. The less anime we will get and the more people will hunt for it illegally.

It's a cycle that could eventually break our favorite websites

yay for being a business major I'm not very eloquent so I hope that made sense. And I know this isn't the only reason people use VPN's but this would be why they want you going through proper channels.
Posted 9/17/14 , edited 9/17/14
They are forcing people to pirate plain and simple.. VPN companies are making loads off these idiots and helps bypass bandwidth throttles that have effected netflix and crunchyroll for years.

You completely ignored the fact that Netflix, Crunchyroll and the copyright holders get income for each viewing... They just want more money is all. Most consumers who are choosing between pirating and paying a sub/using vpn dont give a flying monkeys ass about them making another buck. And will just pirate. Idiot move is idiotic, they are soooooo used to fucking people easily and controlling their own content that they want to dominate the internet.. Fuck off is all i have to say..

They hate VPN companies, the good ones are serious about privacy and keep zero logs.. Making a lot of traffic invisible.. but openly going against VPN would be going against privacy. And while they would love nothing more than to take away privacy from the internet they cannot do it openly.

First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.