First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Constant Stuttering on everything..
22231 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / UK
Offline
Posted 9/19/14 , edited 9/19/14
Site is unusable tonight, nothing will play without constant stuttering.

Sort it out CR.

Anyway, I'm off to a well known free anime streaming site to watch my shows again...

Why am I still paying for this crap service.....
20192 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / The Heroes Associ...
Offline
Posted 9/19/14 , edited 9/19/14
could always be your ISP. not everything is CR's fault you know.
28685 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 9/19/14

AzazelOfNexium wrote:

could always be your ISP. not everything is CR's fault you know.


I respectably disagree. This is a wide known issue that a bunch of people (including me) are going through who use Crunchyroll's website to stream. Certain devices are also having this problem, but it seems to be more frequent from website users.
Dronak 
37997 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / USA
Offline
Posted 9/19/14
^ This.

The problem *could* be with an ISP, yes, but considering that a number of people have posted about having this same problem recently, it seems unlikely that *everyone's* ISPs are having issues all at the same time, and with the same site on top of that. People have also noted that videos from other services stream without problem, and speed tests show the normal/expected connection speeds. So this is almost certainly an issue on Crunchyroll's side, and one that they need to address (hopefully soon).
8492 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M
Offline
Posted 9/19/14
This problem started for me just the other day, normally with my connection and PC I can stream 1080p anywhere without any problems, and just the pact couple days i have been getting stuttering even at 360p.
22231 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / UK
Offline
Posted 9/20/14

AzazelOfNexium wrote:

could always be your ISP. not everything is CR's fault you know.


Nope, it's definitely a Crunchyroll issue and as others have mentioned it started over the last couple of days.

Other streaming services like Netflix are fine, including 2160p video on youtube which is usually the first to suffer if my ISP is the issue but it's working great right now.





22231 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / UK
Offline
Posted 9/20/14 , edited 9/20/14
I'm starting to think they need to make the site subscription only, no more low quality free streaming as they can't cope with the load and it's the users that actually pay that get the issues it seems.
The Wise Wizard
99917 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Online
Posted 9/20/14

Shocky1 wrote:

I'm starting to think they need to make the site subscription only, no more low quality free streaming as they can't cope with the load and it's the users that actually pay that get the issues it seems.

That would result in CR getting fewer titles.

Subscribers may be where CR actually makes a profit, but they are outnumbered by around 20:1 by free viewers (based on the last numbers I saw). When CR makes a minimum guarantee offer to a publisher, those numbers count. If CR were only able to offer 5% of what they do now, you can bet the answer would be "no" more often than not.

Would some of those free viewers convert if CR went sub-only? Sure, but even if it doubled CR's subscription base, you would still be looking at them able to offer publishers MG's that were only about 10% of the current level.

21410 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / California
Offline
Posted 9/20/14

TheAncientOne wrote:


Shocky1 wrote:

I'm starting to think they need to make the site subscription only, no more low quality free streaming as they can't cope with the load and it's the users that actually pay that get the issues it seems.

That would result in CR getting fewer titles.

Subscribers may be where CR actually makes a profit, but they are outnumbered by around 20:1 by free viewers (based on the last numbers I saw). When CR makes a minimum guarantee offer to a publisher, those numbers count. If CR were only able to offer 5% of what they do now, you can bet the answer would be "no" more often than not.

Would some of those free viewers convert if CR went sub-only? Sure, but even if it doubled CR's subscription base, you would still be looking at them able to offer publishers MG's that were only about 10% of the current level.



What i just read here was "CR offers quantity over quality."
The Wise Wizard
99917 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Online
Posted 9/20/14

System1024 wrote:

What i just read here was "CR offers quantity over quality."

Even quality has to pay for itself.

20192 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / The Heroes Associ...
Offline
Posted 9/20/14


I wouldn't say that.

Crunchyroll is one of the only global streaming services for anime.

It is the only anime streaming service available in the Caribbean and most of south america and europe.

Most of the people in those countries have trouble being able to pay for a subscription based program due to alot of those countries being 3rd world.

I appreciate what crunchyroll does by trying to attain as many titles as possible for the widest possible audience.


However, i do believe crunchyroll should adapt a a more advanced streaming service, similar to the buffer system used by funimation and youtube, where the video loads ahead of where you currently are; instead of only loading the scenes you are currently on
22231 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / UK
Offline
Posted 9/20/14 , edited 9/20/14

TheAncientOne wrote:


Shocky1 wrote:

I'm starting to think they need to make the site subscription only, no more low quality free streaming as they can't cope with the load and it's the users that actually pay that get the issues it seems.

That would result in CR getting fewer titles.

Subscribers may be where CR actually makes a profit, but they are outnumbered by around 20:1 by free viewers (based on the last numbers I saw). When CR makes a minimum guarantee offer to a publisher, those numbers count. If CR were only able to offer 5% of what they do now, you can bet the answer would be "no" more often than not.

Would some of those free viewers convert if CR went sub-only? Sure, but even if it doubled CR's subscription base, you would still be looking at them able to offer publishers MG's that were only about 10% of the current level.



When you say minimum guarantee what do you mean? money? viewers? Money is the only one that makes sense and I'd happily pay a little extra to make up for lack of ad revenue if it meant I could watch in 1080p with no issues. As it stands 1080p even on a good day isn't possible, I don't even know why they have the option available.

Regardless, something has to change, maybe separate servers and try and isolate them from subscribers.


Crunchyroll is one of the only global streaming services for anime.

It is the only anime streaming service available in the Caribbean and most of south america and europe.


Crunchyroll know this, this is why they are in no rush to change anything it seems, there are no alternatives.
The Wise Wizard
99917 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Online
Posted 9/20/14

Shocky1 wrote:

When you say minimum guarantee what do you mean? money? viewers? Money is the only one that makes sense and I'd happily pay a little extra to make up for lack of ad revenue if it meant I could watch in 1080p with no issues. As it stands 1080p even on a good day isn't possible, I don't even know why they have the option available.

In a way, it is both. In a typical contract, a streaming service pays a specific small amount per stream. A minimum guarantee is that CR will pay up front for a certain number of streams, with no recourse if the show actually doesn't result in that many.

Unfortunately, given how greatly free viewers outnumber subscribers, the amount needed to maintain the same level of revenue without them would be considerable more than "a little extra". There is also the problem that the higher the subscription price goes, the more people that would turn away from CR, causing the problem to spiral.


I do know that not everyone has any significant problems with CR. I for one don't, and while at first glance there doesn't appear to be anything special about where I live (the mid-south US), perhaps it is just the right combination of lower population density, distance to the CDN server, and lack of any problems on the normal route to that server.

Unfortunately, the majority of posts from people having problems don't even list the person's country, much less their city, so it is impossible for a normal user to discern any pattern to the trouble areas. I have to wonder if even CR is able to get a good handle on it. This article gives an idea of what Hulu had to go through to get their quality of service up to par, and they only have to deal with the United States.

It would be nice if CR could do something similar, but when they have perhaps 300,000 subscribers vs. over 6 million for Hulu Plus (and probably around 3 million around the time that blog entry was posted), they just don't have as many resources to throw at the problem.
Dronak 
37997 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / USA
Offline
Posted 9/21/14 , edited 9/21/14

TheAncientOne wrote:Unfortunately, the majority of posts from people having problems don't even list the person's country, much less their city, so it is impossible for a normal user to discern any pattern to the trouble areas. I have to wonder if even CR is able to get a good handle on it.


OK, that's a point. I'll start then -- I have a 50/50 Verizon FiOS connection in the Washington, DC metro area. I just tried watching Sabagebu on my Roku, and it buffered every ~20 seconds in the first ~1 minute. I gave up and switched to the PC, where it's often better than the Roku (but still can have problems sometimes).

You're probably right that not everyone experiences this kind of problem, but there definitely are people with issues that do not appear to be on their side, and Crunchyroll really ought to do something to address these. I don't know exactly what, that's not my field, but I do think they have to figure out some way of fixing this problem. Because if people can't stream high-quality video without constant buffering interrupting them, especially when they're paying for the service, people may cancel or choose not to renew their memberships, and that's not a good situation either.
28685 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 9/21/14

Dronak wrote:


OK, that's a point. I'll start then -- I have a 50/50 Verizon FiOS connection in the Washington, DC metro area. I just tried watching Sabagebu on my Roku, and it buffered every ~20 seconds in the first ~1 minute. I gave up and switched to the PC, where it's often better than the Roku (but still can have problems sometimes).

You're probably right that not everyone experiences this kind of problem, but there definitely are people with issues that do not appear to be on their side, and Crunchyroll really ought to do something to address these. I don't know exactly what, that's not my field, but I do think they have to figure out some way of fixing this problem. Because if people can't stream high-quality video without constant buffering interrupting them, especially when they're paying for the service, people may cancel or choose not to renew their memberships, and that's not a good situation either.


I've never tried Roku (even though I got a Roku device for my birthday not too long ago), but I can say the website itself for me is the most horrible place to watch it. Given the fact that the website and apps use different flash players and different servers (I think), it's no wonder website streamers are suffering. I haven't seen Crunchy's website flash player get updated in a loooooooong time. Though apps are also having this problem (even apps that can actually buffer more than 15-30 seconds unlike its website). So if we put two and two together, I can almost positively say that it's a server wide issue. I still wonder why some people can stream just fine....maybe they aren't daily streamers and aren't testing the waters good enough to realize it?
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.