First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Running out of anime masterpieces?
43660 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
60 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 9/20/14 , edited 9/20/14
I agree with lot of the ones above, but I haven't seen Mushi-shi mentioned yet...

Edit: I would also include Non Non Biyori and Barakamon
16931 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 9/20/14 , edited 9/20/14
For me, everything anime that i enjoy is a masterpiece well since i also watch a lot of anime that i just eh ... watch it for the sake of seeing it through the end even through i don't really like it.
4201 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 9/20/14

seekerperson7 wrote:

A "masterpiece" eh? Oddly enough, I actually think that term is subjective. One man's masterpiece is another man's garbage I suppose. I'm not applying that to anything you listed, though some might apply it to the stuff i'll now list.

Sure you can make a subjective list of masterpieces based on your own criteria but it doesn't make it impossible to make a list of objective masterpieces.

You simply need to follow the very definition of the word...

For example:

user A lists Girls und Panzer as a masterpiece... this is subjective because it only meets his own criteria
user B lists Madoka Magica as a masterpiece... this is objective because it meets the very definition of the word which is:

Masterpiece in modern use refers to a creation that has been given much critical praise, especially one that is considered the greatest work of a person's career or to a work of outstanding creativity, skill, or workmanship.
xxJing 
37207 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 9/20/14
I tend to enjoy those slightly more philosophical animes a lot:

Letter Bee
Sunday Without God
Maou Yuu
Spice and Wolf
Log Horizon
Allison and Lillia

A lot of these shows have many mini-arcs with their own stories that may or may not play into the overall story. It's almost like doing side quests in the Dragon Quest games. Anyway I feel like I am playing a really good JRPG while watching these shows.
52889 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CA
Offline
Posted 9/20/14

xxJing wrote:

I tend to enjoy those slightly more philosophical animes a lot:

Letter Bee
Sunday Without God
Maou Yuu
Spice and Wolf
Log Horizon
Allison and Lillia

A lot of these shows have many mini-arcs with their own stories that may or may not play into the overall story. It's almost like doing side quests in the Dragon Quest games. Anyway I feel like I am playing a really good JRPG while watching these shows.


How is Letter Bee post ep 15? I just fell out during that point, either due to boredom or lack of character connection to any of them. In combination of just finding the guns.......meh.
xxJing 
37207 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 9/20/14

cay032692 wrote:


xxJing wrote:

I tend to enjoy those slightly more philosophical animes a lot:

Letter Bee
Sunday Without God
Maou Yuu
Spice and Wolf
Log Horizon
Allison and Lillia

A lot of these shows have many mini-arcs with their own stories that may or may not play into the overall story. It's almost like doing side quests in the Dragon Quest games. Anyway I feel like I am playing a really good JRPG while watching these shows.


How is Letter Bee post ep 15? I just fell out during that point, either due to boredom or lack of character connection to any of them. In combination of just finding the guns.......meh.


I really liked it the whole way through honestly. A big part of the first season is a lot of those mini-arcs I was talking about. Like helping an orphan girl celebrate Christmas, or what not. Near the end of the first season and the majority of the second season do actually have a continuing plot though. They start to investigate the corruption in the capitol, the many rebel factions, what happened to Gauche and Roda. In the second season they explain Niche's past. So the drama picks up and it becomes more of a focused story later on.

I still need to finish reading the manga of it, and D Grayman for that matter. For some reason both DGrayman and Letter Bee give off very similar vibes to me. Also King of Bandits Jing, which is one of my personal favorite animes but others may or may not enjoy it.
4153 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 9/20/14

marlfox570 wrote:

So I can only assume that there are many of you out there that are veterans of the anime world and have been longing for another Masterpiece to delve into? yknow, shows like cowboy bebop, ghost in the shell, death note, samurai champloo, baccano, clannad, here and there now and then, and all that jazz! now i know everyone has their own favorites, but when you think youve seen everything, we tend to be content with the basic plots and the average thrill. im looking for any anime that really really meant something to you, and is high class, but maybe its not as well known? old shows new shows who cares! tis not a debate just help some fellow anime fans in their quest to watch them all!


Death Note was not a masterpiece
4153 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 9/20/14
as for masterieces
the closest ones

Code Geass
Madoka
Steins;Gate
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Anohana
52889 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CA
Offline
Posted 9/20/14

xxJing wrote:
I really liked it the whole way through honestly. A big part of the first season is a lot of those mini-arcs I was talking about. Like helping an orphan girl celebrate Christmas, or what not. Near the end of the first season and the majority of the second season do actually have a continuing plot though. They start to investigate the corruption in the capitol, the many rebel factions, what happened to Gauche and Roda. In the second season they explain Niche's past. So the drama picks up and it becomes more of a focused story later on.

I still need to finish reading the manga of it, and D Grayman for that matter. For some reason both DGrayman and Letter Bee give off very similar vibes to me. Also King of Bandits Jing, which is one of my personal favorite animes but others may or may not enjoy it.


Ah, see that was possibly a little issue for me, very minor, but the mini arcs here and there just made journey a bit disconnected for me personally, In a sense it became repetitive, as he would help the "tragic" of that arc, open up their heart, reach a resolution, rinse and repeat. Which is odd beacuse I do tend to like episodic type anime such as mushi., but with what you say about the second part of the series it sounds like I did miss out, I will try going back to it later this month.

D.Gray reader?! yes! , lol although I can't relate to it having the same vibes as Bee....
xxJing 
37207 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 9/20/14

Siawo wrote:


marlfox570 wrote:

So I can only assume that there are many of you out there that are veterans of the anime world and have been longing for another Masterpiece to delve into? yknow, shows like cowboy bebop, ghost in the shell, death note, samurai champloo, baccano, clannad, here and there now and then, and all that jazz! now i know everyone has their own favorites, but when you think youve seen everything, we tend to be content with the basic plots and the average thrill. im looking for any anime that really really meant something to you, and is high class, but maybe its not as well known? old shows new shows who cares! tis not a debate just help some fellow anime fans in their quest to watch them all!


Death Note was not a masterpiece


The second part of Death Note was quite a mess I will agree, but I thought the first part was really good. I liked all the mind games and the tension.
11808 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Crunchyroll HQ
Offline
Posted 9/20/14
Theres a masterpiece almost every single season.
4153 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 9/20/14

xxJing wrote:


Siawo wrote:


marlfox570 wrote:

So I can only assume that there are many of you out there that are veterans of the anime world and have been longing for another Masterpiece to delve into? yknow, shows like cowboy bebop, ghost in the shell, death note, samurai champloo, baccano, clannad, here and there now and then, and all that jazz! now i know everyone has their own favorites, but when you think youve seen everything, we tend to be content with the basic plots and the average thrill. im looking for any anime that really really meant something to you, and is high class, but maybe its not as well known? old shows new shows who cares! tis not a debate just help some fellow anime fans in their quest to watch them all!


Death Note was not a masterpiece


The second part of Death Note was quite a mess I will agree, but I thought the first part was really good. I liked all the mind games and the tension.


i did, Death Note first season was one of the best, but the second season though :S useless characters, shitty finale, a weaker L defeated an enemy L couldn't, it was a whole mess, thats why the anime was not a masterpiece, because the second season was not as good as the first
Posted 9/20/14 , edited 9/20/14

MartianMage wrote:

Sure you can make a subjective list of masterpieces based on your own criteria but it doesn't make it impossible to make a list of objective masterpieces.

You simply need to follow the very definition of the word...

For example:

user A lists Girls und Panzer as a masterpiece... this is subjective because it only meets his own criteria
user B lists Madoka Magica as a masterpiece... this is objective because it meets the very definition of the word which is:

Masterpiece in modern use refers to a creation that has been given much critical praise, especially one that is considered the greatest work of a person's career or to a work of outstanding creativity, skill, or workmanship.


How much is "much critical praise" and what is required to be considered a critic? How do you judge the greatness of a work or measure creativity? How do you measure skill and workmanship? I know intuitively that X takes more skill than Y, but is intuition enough? Isn't that back to subjectivity? Same thing with workmanship.

And what if these critics were to say that something like Girls und Panzer as is can be considered a masterpiece? Or any other show for that matter. Is the definition purely subject to the whims of these "critics"? If so, then I am extremely interested in how I may join this arcane sect.

To me, even the objective definition sounds somewhat flimsy.

18059 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 9/20/14
Ping Pong the Animation is definitely a masterpiece....uses the anime medium perfectly.

Girls und Panzer is actually a tremendous amount of fun too, definitely one of the most entertaining anime I've watched before, but not that "memorable".
4201 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 9/20/14

seekerperson7 wrote:


MartianMage wrote:

Sure you can make a subjective list of masterpieces based on your own criteria but it doesn't make it impossible to make a list of objective masterpieces.

You simply need to follow the very definition of the word...

For example:

user A lists Girls und Panzer as a masterpiece... this is subjective because it only meets his own criteria
user B lists Madoka Magica as a masterpiece... this is objective because it meets the very definition of the word which is:

Masterpiece in modern use refers to a creation that has been given much critical praise, especially one that is considered the greatest work of a person's career or to a work of outstanding creativity, skill, or workmanship.


How much is "much critical praise" and what is required to be considered a critic? How do you judge the greatness of a work or measure creativity? How do you measure skill and workmanship? I know intuitively that X takes more skill than Y, but is intuition enough? Isn't that back to subjectivity? Same thing with workmanship.

And what if these critics were to say that something like Girls und Panzer as is can be considered a masterpiece? Or any other show for that matter. Is the definition purely subject to the whims of these "critics"? If so, then I am eagerly interested in how I may join this arcane sect.

To me, even the objective definition sounds somewhat flimsy.


Winning prestigious awards... keyword prestigious. These awards are there and recognized for a reason. If we can't even trust these institutions to place proper critics then there would be no masterpieces anymore. Just personal favorites.

And the definition is not flimsy. It is what it is. As I've said if you can't even agree to this definition then you might as well erase the word "masterpiece" from your dictionary and replace it with favorites.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.