First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply Aldnoah Zero: Season 1 Ending
13019 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M
Offline
Posted 9/20/14

AmazingStef wrote:

No, I think Slaine understood perfectly. "Orange". "Bat".

It's the understanding that broke Slaine. He'd just failed to protect the princess by saving Sazbaum's life, after being shot at by Terrans and being rescued by Vers.

And now there's that asshole who shot him down once crawling towards "his" woman. There's jealousy and hostility involved, on top of isolation and not knowing who to trust.

Slaine isn't a bad man. He is, however, a tragic character.



Yeah, I can definitely see what your saying. I was thinking that he had already come to the realization of his tragic flaw when Saazbaum shot the princess, so he would at least gain some self-awareness. However, if they are setting him up to be the tragic Villian (or at least the guy with mis-placed hatred) taking Saazbaum's place then it makes much more sense to me. That kind of does point to Rayet, who realized her flaw and overcame it as the next protag as someone else stated in another thread.
17735 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
55 / M /
Offline
Posted 9/20/14

tcfenstermaker wrote:
It just cracks me up that people are over on the episode board "flipping tables" because it had a downer ending. IMHO if they feel that way they should never again complain about anime cliches


Don't go in for overstatement much do you? 1) There are no tables to be flipped literally. 2) It also implies an irrational rage on somebody's part. 3) It also means a rage that is unstoppable beyond mere self control. None of these I've seen. Yes there was shock, anger, disappointment even happiness in the turn of events. For myself I will admit to shock, disappointment and confusion in the ending. Perhaps the most I felt was the disappointment in the Deus ex machina of getting Tharsis to start for Slaine. Confusion because of when did the show become Macross/Yamoto/Voltron. Shock at the turn of events. This show until the last episode could be followed logically (as much as any anime can) till this episode. For example: Slaine is so shocked he can't reload or recock the pistol to kill Saazbaum, who asked for a head shot by the way, but he could for Inaho? That removes his actions from 'snapping' to murder. One might argue self defense, but I'd argue that Inaho was too badly wounded to be a real threat with the gun. Remember Inaho had blood in his eyes. He couldn't see well. But I also grant that I will need to rewatch the show at least 2 more times for the small stuff I missed. So please try to restrain your emotions when talking about how others feel. Thank you.
42275 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 9/20/14

Afan42 wrote:

How my day has gone

1.Flips a table after ending- FUCK THIS SHIT!!!! Screw this I heard Gurren Lggan is good.
2.Gets threw a few episodes till Kamina- AWWWWWWW DAMN IT!!!! WHY!!!!!!!!!
3. Thinks "you know what ill just start Clanned After story"-
4.Binges threw most of it and gets till you know when- It cant get any worse than this ill jut keep it going........
7.Ushio- AAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWW I HATE MY LIFE CHOICES......
8.stares at Chrunchyroll website- I hate you......

Today sucks..............



Stop flipping tables.
16448 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/20/14

heesej62Yeah, I can definitely see what your saying. I was thinking that he had already come to the realization of his tragic flaw when Saazbaum shot the princess, so he would at least gain some self-awareness. However, if they are setting him up to be the tragic Villian (or at least the guy with mis-placed hatred) taking Saazbaum's place then it makes much more sense to me. That kind of does point to Rayet, who realized her flaw and overcame it as the next protag as someone else stated in another thread.


I'll be honest though, I'm beginning to find the narrative constantly shitting on Slaine really tiresome. The only reason the ending went so horribly wrong was because of his epic level of bad luck.

Before shooting Inaho Slaine had done nothing wrong, there was no way he could predict Asseylum would show up right in time to be shot by a very injured Sazbaum in front of his eyes. It's kinda cool that they went for a tragic ending but the way they did it was really contrived.
1606 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Earth
Offline
Posted 9/20/14
Some people seem to forget that this was all written by the Butcher.
Posted 9/20/14
I really liked the ending , i mean it is NOT your typical anime in where everything is predictable to the end . It was really a shock for me since i was ready for a ending in where the martians were defeated and then ---->
19270 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 9/21/14
I think the biggest issue I have with this ending is the fact that Slaine decided to save the count surely knowing that he had intentions of still killing the princess. Like, why would you aid someone who wanted to take what's precious from you? Just doesn't really seem like a logical move. Though granted, I'm sure Slaine must've felt conflicted. Still, the highlight of Slaine's main goal was protecting the princess. It just doesn't seem likely that he would've ended up protecting the count in the end. But that's what happened, and therefore it ended up in the princess getting shot.

17763 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / some where heaven...
Online
Posted 9/21/14
i liked that ending,its make us wanna see what happen at season 2...
22184 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
102 / Wild West, North...
Offline
Posted 9/21/14 , edited 9/21/14
First off, since it's the midpoint of a 2-cour anime, you guys shoulda expected something big to happen to set up Part 2, especially since they're gonna take a 3-month break to build up hype. To be fair, Urobuchi wrote only a few episodes, and the rest was someone else, so you can't attribute everything to him (he did point that out at AX2014).

That being said, the problem I have isn't with what happened, but how it happened. As someone else said, everything just felt too contrived. It felt less like "Everyone did what they had to do, and it was all so tragic", and more, "Oh crap, we're on episode 12! Quick, someone figure out a way we can both SUFFERING AND SEQUEL HOOK this episode!" Kind of like Code Geass.

As for gripes about this episode, they are:

- Was the Saazbaum Voltron Gattai scene really necessary? I thought this was the serious, no campy/silly crowd? Also, that could have given back 3-5 minutes of your broadcast time you could have used to build up some of the out-of-left-field stuff happening in the last 10 minutes.
- So many questions about the Tharsis, but the first one is: why hype it up at all, when it's only showing up for a few seconds to do diddly squat? Gundam Seed isn't a good reference, guys.
- For a guy who was shown to be all brain/tactics/reason/pragmatism, they totally dropped the ball on Inaho and robot wrestling (you had a gun, your robot was still in one piece, and your opponent's falling apart. Just poach the guy and get to protecting the princess). And don't tell me it's brashness/recklessness/etc. If they intended it to be, they communicated zero of it in the last 11 episodes (all of his risks so far were all revealed to be calculated), even including his sister's usual complaints.
- On the Jesus-level rankings, Inaho ranks a little above Kirito and a little lower than Tatsuya because of his (almost) single-handed takedown of Voltron mech.

For me, going forward, my main concern is the series devolving into Darkness-Induced Audience Apathy, aka Grimdark.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DarknessInducedAudienceApathy

What really turned me off with some series (including Attack on Titan, Akame ga Kill, anything by Urobuchi aside from Gargantia, and, non-anime-wise, Game of Thrones) is that they refuse to have anything good happen to the protagonists, even to the point that they'll make contrived plot twists that border on dark humor to further that goal. It's different, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's good. Poor writing is poor writing. Moreover, when a show makes me stop caring about the characters, that show has failed.

AZ has not fallen into DIAA in the 1st season because, even if there's a lot of dark stuff in both the plot and the story, Seylum's storyline and Inaho being Jesus Einstein added that hopeful/light element that helped balance out the darkness. I'm hoping they continue to keep that sense of hope/light going in to S2, even if we're going to have to continue the story without either Seylum or Inaho.
42251 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25
Offline
Posted 9/21/14 , edited 9/21/14

LONGNAMEYOUWONTMISS wrote:

Some people seem to forget that this was all written by the Butcher.


Urobutchi only wrote the first 3 episodes

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=16028

Under "Japanese Staff"
Script:
Gen Urobuchi (eps 1-3)
29329 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 9/21/14

xKeiyax wrote:Wall of text


For contrast, could you toss a few titles out there in a similar genre where you had a more favorable impression of the series than Aldnoah.Zero? Not so I can nitpick your criticisms apart (really I have no energy or desire to do that with anyone ever) but just to see if we're even in the same ballpark of like/dislike for shows.
16448 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/21/14 , edited 9/21/14
When you say similar genre, do you mean mecha shows or, more broadly, dark shows that don't descend into unintentional comedy?

If it's the later I'm not Keiya but I could offer a few examples. Cowboy Bebop and Black Lagoon are both dark shows featuring tragic characters.

A more recent example would be Knights of Sidonia. In many ways it's much darker than Aldnoah will ever be but the focus on the humanity and competence of the cast gives you the impression it's still a world worth fighting for.
4193 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 9/21/14 , edited 9/21/14

AmazingStef wrote:Before shooting Inaho Slaine had done nothing wrong, there was no way he could predict Asseylum would show up right in time to be shot by a very injured Sazbaum in front of his eyes. It's kinda cool that they went for a tragic ending but the way they did it was really contrived.

He saved the life of the person who plotted to kill the person he wanted to protect the most. Yep... absolutely he did nothing wrong!

He doesn't even need to feel indebted to Saazbaum. The only reason Saazbaum spared his life is simply because he has a debt to his father.
16448 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/21/14

MartianMageHe saved the life of the person who plotted to kill the person he wanted to protect the most. Yep... absolutely he did nothing wrong!

He doesn't even need to feel indebted to Saazbaum. The only reason Saazbaum spared his life is simply because he has a debt to his father.


Remind me again exactly how many people have shown any kind of kindness towards Slaine for his entire life?

Of course he'll feel some concern for a guy who's helped him, offered him a roof and who's shown a desire to improve the life of his clan. It's entirely natural that he'll help out the guy, especially considering he has nowhere else to go, the Terrans have always ended up shooting at him.

Again, how the heck could he expect to stumble into the princess in exactly the "right" way for her to be shot without him having any kind of opportunity to avert this disaster? The chances for that are less than a million, and unlike us Slaine isn't aware he's in a story partly written by a guy with "butcher" as a nickname.

No matter what he did it would have ended in disaster because the writers really, really despise him.
29329 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 9/21/14

AmazingStef wrote:

When you say similar genre, do you mean mecha shows or, more broadly, dark shows that don't descend into unintentional comedy?


I guess mecha, or at least shows that are thematically similar to A.Z
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.