First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
all about martial arts
5297 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 10/2/14 , edited 10/2/14
Martial arts I think has become this attitude of learn how to bust someone up for self defence. While, yeah that's the deal and I believe people should learn if for that reason...I get the impression there is no real soul, respect and compassion among a lot of these places. Maybe more so with MMA. I personally had some good lessons from an MMA class, really nice instructor. I think people who can teach those things and tradition, whilst applying practical in terms of street fights would be great (I'm sure there are classes that do that, of course!). I remember karate and never actually sparring or anything, just punching air. I'm sure it helped, but just not very practical.

Did anyone see that clip in Brazil of a child being punched then choked to death? The kid murdered him and the person filming was in on it. It was really disturbing and I think it's important people have confidence to feel they can defend themselves if it comes to such situations. At the very least putting up a fight and not fearing to defend yourself in case of what happened to that poor boy who was choked to death! People should intervene and be aware. I haven't taken classes in a long time.
5297 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 10/2/14
Actually here is a youtube channel I follow and this is how i stumbled across the incident with the child. It's a very informative channel and he sums it up nicely about doing, not watching, but really practising. We shouldn't need to, but let's face it, this world can be a dangerous place with all kinds of bad people whether we like it or not.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClKgO_YP3pcIVeav2g_k6hw
13228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / in the underworld...
Offline
Posted 10/3/14

Antybabyyy wrote:

Martial arts I think has become this attitude of learn how to bust someone up for self defence. While, yeah that's the deal and I believe people should learn if for that reason...I get the impression there is no real soul, respect and compassion among a lot of these places. Maybe more so with MMA. I personally had some good lessons from an MMA class, really nice instructor. I think people who can teach those things and tradition, whilst applying practical in terms of street fights would be great (I'm sure there are classes that do that, of course!). I remember karate and never actually sparring or anything, just punching air. I'm sure it helped, but just not very practical.

Did anyone see that clip in Brazil of a child being punched then choked to death? The kid murdered him and the person filming was in on it. It was really disturbing and I think it's important people have confidence to feel they can defend themselves if it comes to such situations. At the very least putting up a fight and not fearing to defend yourself in case of what happened to that poor boy who was choked to death! People should intervene and be aware. I haven't taken classes in a long time.


yeah disturbing indeed, I am glad i did not see that vid, sounds sad, that's beyond self defense that's murder
In the mma class i went to, we were taught defense and how not to kill some one, cutting of blood not air and only
use it in defense when some one is beating you up not when your beating the crap out of them
I hope they got in deep shit, for that evil act
5297 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 10/4/14
Yeah, evil. But it's Brazil, and they were under 18 so I'm not sure what will happen.

Same with my MMA class. I have thought though, al though some teach it right in that respect, I go go back to my point of teaching compassion, respect, etc, where I think it isn't a vocal point of the lessons, or very over looked and these simple chokes can potentially kill someone if you don't know how to get out (like to young boy) and it's abused by insecure kids or who think they have to prove something...or in this incident mentioned, just bad kids who learnt a few things and went out to murder someone.
13228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / in the underworld...
Offline
Posted 10/5/14

Antybabyyy wrote:

Yeah, evil. But it's Brazil, and they were under 18 so I'm not sure what will happen.

Same with my MMA class. I have thought though, al though some teach it right in that respect, I go go back to my point of teaching compassion, respect, etc, where I think it isn't a vocal point of the lessons, or very over looked and these simple chokes can potentially kill someone if you don't know how to get out (like to young boy) and it's abused by insecure kids or who think they have to prove something...or in this incident mentioned, just bad kids who learnt a few things and went out to murder someone.



and some kids are using it as a game these days, its sad.
Posted 10/11/14
Wing chun, Ip man.
1086 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Bangor, Northern...
Offline
Posted 10/16/14
Wing chun,
Shaolin

but my favorite, and the reason I call myself Suiken in other places.
Drunken Fist
731 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Denver
Offline
Posted 10/16/14

darkangel09rose wrote:

Ok martial arts what do you think about it, best style, your style, should people learn it or forget about it. is it okay for kids to learn. should it only be used for self defense or is fighting sports like MMA okay. Are you or any one you know skilled in martial arts or street fighting. Is street fighting considered a martial art. Did you ever use it in self defense, did you use it wrongly to hurt someone when it was not self defense.


1. There isn't a best style. Every style is good at some things, and not for others. You need strict parameters to judge systems individually, if that's what you're asking.

2. There is no short explanation for my system. I've been at it for 22 years. 13 years combat specialist.

3. Everybody should learn it, if the approach and the teachers are good. At its height of growth, it's the most complete path of human development.

4. It's good for kids as long as you don't put too much context into it, unless otherwise specified. "This is what you do to the bad man's eyes if he touches you" is good. "Not what you're doing when you're hitting this pad is visualizing hitting someone in the throat" is bad.

5. Fighting is not, and never will be sanctioned as a sport. Sports have rules. People forget the original MMA was banned legally because it was truly "mixed" and with as few rules (if any?) as possible. People died. Simply bleeding and the occasional non-serious injury doesn't mean it's fighting.

6. Every martial art should be able to be used on the street. Street fighting by itself is not a martial art, nor is it equipped to accomplish any of even the lower objectives of a good martial art.

7. Yes, I have used it in self defense. So have students. No, I didn't use it to wrongly hurt someone when it was not self defense.
13228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / in the underworld...
Offline
Posted 10/16/14

Hayagriva wrote:


darkangel09rose wrote:

Ok martial arts what do you think about it, best style, your style, should people learn it or forget about it. is it okay for kids to learn. should it only be used for self defense or is fighting sports like MMA okay. Are you or any one you know skilled in martial arts or street fighting. Is street fighting considered a martial art. Did you ever use it in self defense, did you use it wrongly to hurt someone when it was not self defense.


1. There isn't a best style. Every style is good at some things, and not for others. You need strict parameters to judge systems individually, if that's what you're asking.

2. There is no short explanation for my system. I've been at it for 22 years. 13 years combat specialist.

3. Everybody should learn it, if the approach and the teachers are good. At its height of growth, it's the most complete path of human development.

4. It's good for kids as long as you don't put too much context into it, unless otherwise specified. "This is what you do to the bad man's eyes if he touches you" is good. "Not what you're doing when you're hitting this pad is visualizing hitting someone in the throat" is bad.

5. Fighting is not, and never will be sanctioned as a sport. Sports have rules. People forget the original MMA was banned legally because it was truly "mixed" and with as few rules (if any?) as possible. People died. Simply bleeding and the occasional non-serious injury doesn't mean it's fighting.

6. Every martial art should be able to be used on the street. Street fighting by itself is not a martial art, nor is it equipped to accomplish any of even the lower objectives of a good martial art.

7. Yes, I have used it in self defense. So have students. No, I didn't use it to wrongly hurt someone when it was not self defense.


I agree you are vary wise, yes i remember the old MMA when it was mixed now the ufc and others seam more like street fighting than any thing, before there was no weight class little guys agents big and even won but then there was 4 fights in one day thats dangerous. some can call it a sport heck there was a time I would of called it that. I do watch ufc, and pride but the true art is self defense only inless your in an army ordered to fight for you country before it was allot about the art of killing now its about how not to kill and to defend ones self and family
46359 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / End of Nowhere
Offline
Posted 10/17/14

Hayagriva wrote:

4. It's good for kids as long as you don't put too much context into it, unless otherwise specified. "This is what you do to the bad man's eyes if he touches you" is good. "Not what you're doing when you're hitting this pad is visualizing hitting someone in the throat" is bad.


This is what I disagree with. A martial art is context. Every move, every punch, every stance, every block, every kata, every weapon has a context. It has a reason, it has a story. Each movement one does is precise for a reason. Without understanding that reason there can be no understanding behind what a person is doing. And thus you have kids learning during their most formative period, something to which has little meaning to them. They become a shell, knowing the superficial without the deeper meaning and understanding.

If you are only teaching combat and fighting primarily, then that is not a martial art. It is simply martial.

Kids should spend 5 or more years learning the basics before even getting into fighting and combat techniques. A martial art is a discipline and a practice that takes a lifetime to understand, much less master. And the only way to really do that is to have a firm and solid foundation. And you only get that with years of practicing the basics and understanding the basics. By the time they are starting combat and fighting they should have the control and self control needed to understand the context behind the moves they are being taught. And really, if you are committed to a martial art you should have the discipline to learn for years before getting onto any of the flashy stuff. After all, what is 5 years to an art you may spend another 80 trying to perfect?
731 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Denver
Offline
Posted 10/17/14

Cellory wrote:


Hayagriva wrote:

4. It's good for kids as long as you don't put too much context into it, unless otherwise specified. "This is what you do to the bad man's eyes if he touches you" is good. "Not what you're doing when you're hitting this pad is visualizing hitting someone in the throat" is bad.


This is what I disagree with. A martial art is context. Every move, every punch, every stance, every block, every kata, every weapon has a context. It has a reason, it has a story. Each movement one does is precise for a reason. Without understanding that reason there can be no understanding behind what a person is doing. And thus you have kids learning during their most formative period, something to which has little meaning to them. They become a shell, knowing the superficial without the deeper meaning and understanding.

If you are only teaching combat and fighting primarily, then that is not a martial art. It is simply martial.

Kids should spend 5 or more years learning the basics before even getting into fighting and combat techniques. A martial art is a discipline and a practice that takes a lifetime to understand, much less master. And the only way to really do that is to have a firm and solid foundation. And you only get that with years of practicing the basics and understanding the basics. By the time they are starting combat and fighting they should have the control and self control needed to understand the context behind the moves they are being taught. And really, if you are committed to a martial art you should have the discipline to learn for years before getting onto any of the flashy stuff. After all, what is 5 years to an art you may spend another 80 trying to perfect?


I never said the context shouldn't be added later, I was only answering a limited question. I agree with what you're saying, it's old news to me.
4213 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / California
Offline
Posted 10/18/14 , edited 10/18/14
martial arts is basically a confidence booster. If you really want to learn to defend yourself take a boxing class/ lift weights

By the time it takes some dude to karate chop/kick you, you'll be jabbing him with your arms that can bench 2 plates 1000times
17181 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 10/18/14
Martial arts is not really self defense. It's more of a sport that can be practiced competitively. It can also be spiritual and cultural too. If you're in a dangerous situation, it might help you. However, if you looking for something to protect yourself from abuse or harm, you should probably just take a self defense class related to that, not martial arts.
1696 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Brisbane, Australia
Offline
Posted 10/21/14 , edited 10/21/14
Daniel's Rules of Engagement
---------------------------------------

Is he heavier than you?

No:
Grapple him.

Yes:
Does he look formidable?
No, Grapple him.

Yes:
Run Away
------------------------------------
Jiu Jitsu is the bomb, unless they are heavier than you.

18054 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
U.S.
Offline
Posted 10/21/14

Daniel9878 wrote:

Daniel's Rules of Engagement
---------------------------------------

Is he heavier than you?

No:
Grapple him.

Yes:
Does he look formidable?
No, Grapple him.

Yes:
Run Away
------------------------------------
Jiu Jitsu is the bomb, unless they are heavier than you.



First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.