First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Mainstream anime
9056 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/28/14
It is fairly mainstream, but not fully. I remember having to travel into London just to get a badly translated manga and DVD, I mean it was really hard to find stuff and most of it was imported from the United States. I think it was DBZ and pokemon that people my age became aware of anime. Before that the most known anime was Akira and not many people were aware of that movie. But it's broadband internet and studio gibli that pushed anime into the mainstream. It is seen as part of the wider net/geek culture along with MMOs, Twitch, 4chan and reddit etc. I think Anime has replaced Star Trek and Star Wars for a younger age group. You will know it's mainstream when comedies and artists begin to make references to Nurato or Attack on Titan. Right now they are still in-jokes.
11417 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Eng Land
Offline
Posted 9/28/14 , edited 9/28/14
It's really hard to say without knowing what the outcome would be. However, the way I see it it would be positive because it would likely mean more income therefore higher budget productions. It would also be nice to ditch the fucking retarded stereotype that we're all spotty losers who want to marry bodypillows and rape young children. People often have the concern of, 'well if it becomes mainstream won't it just be like Hollywood where everything is the equivalent of mindless action films' but we see so many generic shows each season or things that have been done time and time again, I think that's a phase we're already in, nay, always have been in.

Like this season, yeah there was some enjoyable stuff but nothing that's going to make my top 10. I see some people saying it's mainstream but I really don't feel it is. It's definitely more well known, and damn near everyone knows what it is, but it's still not watched by a whole lot of people outside of Japan, mainly due to cultural differences be it the general weirdness, the way Japanese sounds, dislike of reading subtitles, dislike of ecchi stuff and the sexualisation of pre-adolescent girls, the aesthetic, generally disliking animation and thinking it's still for kids, or the comedy not appealing to them.

For every Psycho Pass and Ghost in The Shell, there's a million moe schoolgirl slice of life things filled with anime tropes be it tripping over on girls, chibi characters, the Japanese are also more comfortable with the sexual side of things and not gore, while in the west it's the other way around; see a person hacked to shreds and they're fine but nipples? You might as well be flashing images of the holocaust. When I sat down to type out some shows recently, I got down about 20 shows that I thought would appeal to people who dislike anime stereotypes. Given the thousands of anime out there that's incredibly small. It maybe has a few million fans, but compared to the billions of people on the planet that's really tiny. So yeah, I'd definitely love more people to get into it, but it's niche for many reasons that aren't hard to see.
JuJu26 
27552 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 9/28/14
With Toonami, I feel like Anime is a little mainstreamed, but only for that night or moment.
42439 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 9/28/14 , edited 9/28/14
I thought most of us wanted more people to enjoy anime the way we all do, whether the shows are mainstream or not.
Posted 9/28/14 , edited 9/28/14

qualeshia3 wrote:

I thought most of us wanted more people to enjoy anime the way we all do, whether the shows are mainstream or not.



This is a good post in another sense. Certainly, there are those that make posts about enjoying a show. I also see plenty of posts complaining about shows.

If we take something more mainstream than anime, say video games, most posts I see are of people complaining about video games. I strongly caution on making it more acceptable - to be so negative about our hobbies like what happened with video games [and yes, I like to believe my generation was the last to get made fun of constantly in school for playing games - that was still better than those negative beings becoming gamers to be negative in our corners of the digital ocean].

I like your point, it is what we all hoped for as we were locked up playing our video games. That certainly did not turn up well - look at how negative communities of the most popular games are.

edited a horrible typo >< (are/our LOL)
8130 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 9/28/14
Anime isn't stigmatized - the annoying fans are stigmatized. Overweight goofs squealing "kawaii" and imitating jutsus in broad daylight isn't going to make it look cool.
42439 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 9/28/14



Thank you. I just can't help but wonder if they really can't make up their minds. There isn't anything wrong with having more people wanting to enjoy anime for the first time. Sure there will be people that don't understand it but that is just the same with everything else.
Posted 9/28/14




I'm just saying it's as mainstream as it's ever been.
35286 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / http://myanimelis...
Offline
Posted 9/28/14

TheOmegaForce70941 wrote:
If you look at humanity as a whole then you see a LOT of idiots out there who just likes something because people they know also happened to like that thing. I for one would not like to have these types of people in the anime fandom.


You pretty much answered for me with this.
Sogno- 
45726 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/28/14

Fyk0 wrote:

I feel in Finland it's very much under a rock. Would be nice if it became more mainstream thing, outside internet I have 0 people to talk about it. While I think some of my friends doesn't really have opinions about it, some seem to think it's just kids stuff or hentai lol


maybe that's how it is in Finland, but what about Winland?
Fyk0 
21929 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Winland
Offline
Posted 9/28/14

Sogno- wrote:


maybe that's how it is in Finland, but what about Winland?


Oh, but here in Winland it's all good
4280 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
15 / M / The Shire, England
Offline
Posted 9/28/14
I don't mind it being mainstream among the anime community for example Hunter X Hunter HOWEVER not amongst ordinary people for example Attack On Titan.
6044 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Brooklyn, NYC
Offline
Posted 9/28/14
If it was more mainstream it'd be great because it would encourage licensing of more shows to come to us from Japan that we otherwise would not have access to other than illegal torrenting sites/sub groups or learning the language and importing DVDs/Blurays. I'd like to personally own a lot more manga and anime than I have access to at the moment. There is SO much out there that never comes to the US. So, I don't really see it as a negative if it becomes a bit more mainstream.

Even having Crunchyroll (because the community and demand has grown) as a way to access and watch anime is way more than we ever had when I first started watching anime 15+ years ago when I was 11 and I am grateful for the community to grow and become more popular so that things like this site can continue.
16132 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / ♛In my Kawaiii Wo...
Offline
Posted 9/28/14
.anime will never be mainstream. why? cause people are not open publicly about their passion for anime and i don't mean social network i mean open as in having a real convo about anime with someone face to face.
8830 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 9/28/14

BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

It's really hard to say without knowing what the outcome would be. However, the way I see it it would be positive because it would likely mean more income therefore higher budget productions. It would also be nice to ditch the fucking retarded stereotype that we're all spotty losers who want to marry bodypillows and rape young children. People often have the concern of, 'well if it becomes mainstream won't it just be like Hollywood where everything is the equivalent of mindless action films' but we see so many generic shows each season or things that have been done time and time again, I think that's a phase we're already in, nay, always have been in.

Like this season, yeah there was some enjoyable stuff but nothing that's going to make my top 10. I see some people saying it's mainstream but I really don't feel it is. It's definitely more well known, and damn near everyone knows what it is, but it's still not watched by a whole lot of people outside of Japan, mainly due to cultural differences be it the general weirdness, the way Japanese sounds, dislike of reading subtitles, dislike of ecchi stuff and the sexualisation of pre-adolescent girls, the aesthetic, generally disliking animation and thinking it's still for kids, or the comedy not appealing to them.

For every Psycho Pass and Ghost in The Shell, there's a million moe schoolgirl slice of life things filled with anime tropes be it tripping over on girls, chibi characters, the Japanese are also more comfortable with the sexual side of things and not gore, while in the west it's the other way around; see a person hacked to shreds and they're fine but nipples? You might as well be flashing images of the holocaust. When I sat down to type out some shows recently, I got down about 20 shows that I thought would appeal to people who dislike anime stereotypes. Given the thousands of anime out there that's incredibly small. It maybe has a few million fans, but compared to the billions of people on the planet that's really tiny. So yeah, I'd definitely love more people to get into it, but it's niche for many reasons that aren't hard to see.


But I like cute moe shows that are goofy and fluffy and such and I also like harem ecchi shows that are funny and have sexy characters with big boobs like Rias and Lala. Off course ecchi and moe are not the only types of anime I love, i also loe sci-fi and mecha and tons of others, but I do think that me and a LOT of other hardcore otaku, the ones keeping conventions alive by going there and such, would be turned off and become less passionate if there was less cute fluffy moe stuff for example. I don't think you want to replace passionate convention-goers by people watching two mainstream shows and talking about it once a month at work...
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.