First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Mainstream anime
22023 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / California
Offline
Posted 9/28/14
I would say anime isn't fully mainstream. Just certain types of anime series are mainstream like the typical Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece since you'll see those on certain channels.

From my view some people will see anime and cartoons different. Like Pokemon, Yu Gi Oh, and Digimon. Those were showed all the time and the common person will probably say that those are cartoons although they're actually anime.
46382 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Sweden
Online
Posted 9/29/14

TeeBuddy2 wrote:

I would say anime isn't fully mainstream. Just certain types of anime series are mainstream like the typical Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece since you'll see those on certain channels.

From my view some people will see anime and cartoons different. Like Pokemon, Yu Gi Oh, and Digimon. Those were showed all the time and the common person will probably say that those are cartoons although they're actually anime.


I have to agree whit you.

It's a bit sad that the main population is built upon what the masses think something is whitout ever researching it-
5151 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Ontario, Canada
Offline
Posted 9/29/14
If it's on Canadian Netflix then that means it has to be pretty damn popular.

Seriously though, I think anime has the potential to become mainstream. I mean 2 or 3 years ago not a single student at my school knew what anime was. I would ask all of my friends and all of them would come up with a blank expression. Then AoT released and it exploded. As time progressed I would hear people talk about the "Japanese show with giants" every so often. And now this year our school started hosting an anime club. Really I think it depends on whether or not other shows explode in western culture like AoT did.

Also, think of how badly people who like anime are sometimes bullied and seen as weeaboos online. Well remember how people who played video games and were called nerds were seen offline several years back? Yeah, I definitely see a connection.
81337 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Inside Lorreen's...
Offline
Posted 9/29/14
Hmm... I think it matters...

Are we saying it hits the point where even if you have never watched it you probably have heard of it? (Like say 24, Game of Thrones, Doctor Who) And that anyone could probably have a conversation about it because chances are high somewhere along the line you probably saw something of it?

No I doubt that will happen... anime is too wide spread for that... and what I mean by wide spread is it doesn't have a focal point. 24, Game of Thrones, and Doctor Who are popular because (besides being decent shows) it is just ONE show. Anime as a whole has thousands of shows under its title. So where you may like one show you probably will hate another. So you say you like Anime, and another person says they like Anime, alright high five awesome someone that likes what you like! Then you find out they hate every show you like and likes every show you hate.


Now I wouldn't mind it getting a little bit more air time and better reception because there are a lot of things, generally bad, that people associate with anime, but they do the same with video games and other bull so... probably won't happen.


ALSO I saw a few times the argument about it not being talked about on Radio or TV, and it is only played late at night on a few stations.

You realize it is the same in Japan right? It's not like Anime is everything over there, it is a niche community of a fans. Most of the anime is played at night, maybe only a dozen at most channels I think, not sure about radio or anything. The only thing they really have a plus on is Akiba, but that obviously is an area tailored towards Otaku culture.
47864 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 9/29/14 , edited 9/29/14
If it goes mainstream, we get higher budgets, easier access, and cheaper blurays.

On the other hand, the fact is, current anime standards tend to make shows that appeal to a certain niche, and as a member of that niche, I enjoy the fact that content is often pandered to my interests. The fact is, my interests don't match the "average" interests of the human population, and as such, when works are designed to appeal to the interests of the average person, that usually means a step away from my interests (there's no shortage of counterexamples, though -- to be fair. As much as I'd like to think of myself as a unique snowflake, there's alot that I like along with everyone else). Usually, we call a work mainstream specifically because it fits the interests of the average person. So basically, my only worry is that I'll lose my privileged position in the anime aristocracy.

Although if that happens, there's still books, so it's all good. Although if I ever lose books, then the only entertainment left to me is world domination, and I'd be a shitty ruler. So for the sake of humanity -- let's keep pandering to my interests.
32099 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Orlando, FL
Offline
Posted 9/29/14 , edited 9/29/14
I think a great many people are overlooking a small fact. In the big scheme of things, anime is still in its infancy. Society as a whole is rather slow to change and accepting of new things. There are also two forms of mainstream. There is the local one as in to a country, and the global one, as in to the world. Very few things ever become what is called a “Global Mainstream”.

Anime, much like movies, video games, television shows and even music is a form of entertainment. That in and of itself means that it will never ever be fully accepted or recognized by everyone. This is mostly due to human nature. We are fickle beasts with our own likes and dislikes which we tend to defend adamantly when questioned.

Will anime ever find tolerance? I’d like to think that it eventually will. I mean it wasn’t all that long ago that adults were decrying young punks and the noise that they listened to…something that became known as rock-n-roll. Change takes time is what I mean. Even in Japan, where the majority of anime is created, it is not mainstream.

Anime currently as negative connotations attached to it. Despite what some people think this is not due to its current fan base but rather due to one single thing. Ignorance. The majority of society truly do not understand or realize just what anime is. Often it carries the similar branding of porn, just in the cartoon form. Now granted porn is another one of those things that isn’t mainstream or accepted by society as a whole, yet it is a multi-billion dollar industry that thrives and grows each year regardless of that. It is one of those things that has been labeled “Naughty” or a “Guilty Pleasure” or gross and disgusting, depending on your take on the matter.

There are a great many similarities between anime and porn. Not in the content (for the most part) but perhaps more so in the manner in which it is viewed by society in general. The only thing that will change that is time. Those of us watching anime now will certain pass along to our children that it is acceptable to do so. We can but hope that they in turn will pass it along to theirs. In time anime, while not a global mainstream, we can hope that it will at least become a local mainstream.

I do find it rather funny that the current common perception is that for something to be called mainstream it must appear on television or the radio. This goes to show you just how much our thinking needs to change. In this day and age what is more mainstream than the Internet? We have countless sites like this where we can view anime? Perhaps anime is mainstream, digital mainstream, but we’re too focused on our preconceived notions to see what is right in front of us.
Posted 9/29/14
I don't mind it going mainstream.

It wouldn't make any difference to my life; i'll continue to search for stories that inspire me or evoke emotions in me, whether they're mainstream or only 1 person likes them, it makes no difference to me.

I like stories that are original and creative. And I prefer the author to please himself first, not please his readers first. That's why I tend to like things that most people don't like.

5038 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA-PA
Offline
Posted 9/29/14
I like it how it is...If anime went mainstream in the US I could see it being banned eventually for violence and sexual implication etc like all other fun things. So please continue to hide in the shadows anime. The old and closed minded people who run our country suck.
Vodash 
7657 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 9/29/14 , edited 9/29/14

Tsukiau wrote:

Do people even know what time slots most anime air in Japan?

It will always be a niche thing. The culture keeps it down with misinformation and mindless bashing. Imagine the influx of versus threads when anime is readily acceptable and everyone thinks their favorite show is the best. Think of all the hipsters that like a show that is rated a constant 5/10 or less and how smug they could get if you like anything higher than 7.

Not that it doesn't already happen, but I prefer anime to be looked down on than what it would be. Think of all the violence between "True Otaku" and "New-Born Otaku" and those face palming at people calling themselves otaku.


The anime community already insults each other based on what kind of anime they like or dislike, and in the end...

10319 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 9/29/14

Vodash wrote:


Tsukiau wrote:

Do people even know what time slots most anime air in Japan?

It will always be a niche thing. The culture keeps it down with misinformation and mindless bashing. Imagine the influx of versus threads when anime is readily acceptable and everyone thinks their favorite show is the best. Think of all the hipsters that like a show that is rated a constant 5/10 or less and how smug they could get if you like anything higher than 7.

Not that it doesn't already happen, but I prefer anime to be looked down on than what it would be. Think of all the violence between "True Otaku" and "New-Born Otaku" and those face palming at people calling themselves otaku.


The anime community already insults each other based on what kind of anime they like or dislike, and in the end...



So true, this past Saturday I went to a Con and got insulted just because I didn't saw Tokyo Ghoul. I mean, really? There were just posters of Tokyo Ghoul and Akame ga Kill, I undestand the hype but there are more anime than just that... I guess I was the only one there who saw the others shows from this Season like Sabagebu!, Glassilp, P4GA, RE: Hamatora, Yamishibai etc... and it's sad to see people only watching the hype.
11725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 9/29/14
As much as I like how they make niche anime, I wouldn't mind if it goes mainstream so we can find a larger variety of it and just more high quality shows in general.
1392 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / That place beyond...
Offline
Posted 9/29/14
I think anime will become more and more popular eventually, In recent years the anime industry has made better anime with stories that reflect our realities in this part of the world, but for now censorship doesn't help to promote how anime really is...hopefully in the years coming It will become popular so that we will be to watch it on tv
5447 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / Tacoma, WA. wind...
Offline
Posted 9/29/14 , edited 9/29/14

TheOmegaForce70941 wrote:


Do you want anime to become mainstream?


No!


TheOmegaForce70941 wrote

Anyways, what's your take on anime becoming mainstream?


I just don't need another call/service center person telling me they saw "Princess Monoak"(sic) with their ten year-old. (I am pretty sure they meant to say "Princess Mononoke". AND why are they showing this to their ten year-old kids?)

Or

another sales person saying they watch only "real" anime like "Fullmetal Alchemist." (It's ALL real anime.)

8795 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / AnimeLand, CA
Offline
Posted 9/29/14
I say "NO".............Honestly, I refuse to talk to people that get into anime just because they see other people or their friends are into it. Just hearing any random person talking about any sort of anime without having any passion or knowledge for it is insulting to me. Although T.V programs like toonami has aired anime like Fullmetal and SOA, its hard to watch anime knowing that they shorten the op/ed (My opinion). Beside, the U.S doesn't have a good perspective of anime as they often consider it to be hentai or cartoon.
1090 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / CA
Offline
Posted 9/29/14
It can go both ways, but I cannot say anything.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.