First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Windows 10
60821 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
116 / M
Offline
Posted 10/1/14 , edited 7/30/15
Windows 8.1 is great if you have a brain and willing to take 5 minutes to learn a few basic changes to the UI. It's faster, more capable, uses resources better, more flexible and customizable. It's accross the board improvements over 7, which was already an awesome OS. Unless there is some big change that actually lets it out perform 8, I doubt I will pick up 10 anytime soon.
kyogaa 
32840 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Michigan
Offline
Posted 10/1/14

Fyk0 wrote:



It's more like they took basic functions from Windows 7 that were part of the reason people thought it was great.
Then they take what was good from Windows 8 (Like that easily customizable start menu and integrated desktop/mobile app marketplace) and essentially marry the two together for 10.

We all know Windows 7 was outstanding, but there were certainly things that 8 improved upon and added that have plenty of value like Skydrive, faster boot times, the refresh feature, etc. The UI changes were ultimately what irked everyone to oblivion.

So if we're getting our trusty core UI back with quite a few cool new tricks coupled with all of the other things 8 improved on, is that progress? I certainly think so...
31839 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/1/14
i for one,welcome our new windows 10 overlords
11020 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 7/30/15
They Skipped Windows 9 because so much code that exists today uses "Windows 9*" to identify the system as a Windows 95/98/98se version. This causes issues so they had to skip 9 and go to 10.
5049 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Abyss
Offline
Posted 7/30/15

Kagato666 wrote:

Windows 8.1 is great if you have a brain and willing to take 5 minutes to learn a few basic changes to the UI. It's faster, more capable, uses resources better, more flexible and customizable. It's accross the board improvements over 7, which was already an awesome OS. Unless there is some big change that actually lets it out perform 8, I doubt I will pick up 10 anytime soon.


If you play games, I have a 20 fps increase in almost all of my games from 8.1 to 10. GUI is better and Cortana is great. It is slightly more Memory (RAM) intensive, but not too much. As long as you have 8+ GB RAM, your good (32GB has no issues at all). New internet explorer (Microsoft Edge) is faster than Chrome or Firefox. If you have any other questions you can ask me.

Also, all my games work so far. My roommate has one issue with Civilization games. I imagine it is from their studio being lazy and not updating. Even all my indie games work on Win 10.
14468 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Houma
Offline
Posted 7/30/15 , edited 7/30/15

krbroten wrote:

They Skipped Windows 9 because so much code that exists today uses "Windows 9*" to identify the system as a Windows 95/98/98se version. This causes issues so they had to skip 9 and go to 10.


I'm sure they could give it a different scripting ID of sorts. I've been hearing speculation both ways, but I lean more towards that not being the reason since a workaround would be so easy.
28164 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / Wisconsin USA
Offline
Posted 7/30/15
I was talking to some of my computer friends and they said if I had eight to upgrade. But if I had seven I could just wait till I got a new computer. One also said they are waiting to see. So for now I am sticking with my windows 7.
31958 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 7/31/15

animeartist62 wrote:

I was talking to some of my computer friends and they said if I had eight to upgrade. But if I had seven I could just wait till I got a new computer. One also said they are waiting to see. So for now I am sticking with my windows 7.


That's the common wisdom. If it ain't broke yet (Windows 7) don't try to fix it with an unknown solution.

If it is broke (Windows 8) how much worse could it be?
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 7/31/15
I've been running a hacked up mess of 8, I wonder how 10 will be.

I want a DESKTOP on my DESKTOP.

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.