First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Racism in Anime(Some spoilers).
14696 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / United States
Offline
Posted 9/30/14

L3monDr0p wrote:

bro is just a South Florida thing. Have you seen my profile? lol I'm not Gay and I'm definitely not a male. I'm a female that likes shonen and shoujo. If you still think I'm a guy, then from my profile you would think I'm gay but how could I be gay if I like mostly shonen and shoujo and not gay anime or manga.

xD wow what a mess.

I'm definitely a straight female broooo!


You don't have to be gay to like Yuri or Yaoi.
1490 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F
Offline
Posted 9/30/14 , edited 9/30/14
That wasn't the point I was trying to make Kanade_Yagami. Still I don't get into those things because they don't interest me. Like would a straight guy watch guy on guy porn or trans porn? I don't think so. I think most straight people aren't into Yuri or Yaoi for that reason though. I may be wrong... I don't know. I read shoujo for the heterosexual relationships. I think we're getting totally off topic here though and it's weird.
2260 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 9/30/14
i see, well that is definately different, but if you say so, i believe you brodette.
1490 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F
Offline
Posted 9/30/14
I can call you bro (brother) and you can call me sis. xD
2260 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 9/30/14
and Lactis, i guess i havent come across any blatant racism in anime, but if i did, that wouldnt be cool at all.
2260 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 9/30/14 , edited 9/30/14
@ lemondrop, Deal
1327 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / The Netherlands
Offline
Posted 10/1/14
Please dont try to change anime.
Posted 10/1/14 , edited 10/1/14
The only way how I could tell if the characters are supposed to be white or Asian is NOT by their looks but by their names.
Posted 10/1/14

peregrintuk wrote:

racism is just an mental state of people ...in this case ..the people who watch the show .


Exactly.

For me, anime is perfectly fine the way it is with all the different hair and eye colors. If the characters have green hair and red eyes what would people who scream "racism" say they are? aliens?

The hair, eye and even skin color doesn't mean anything to me. People say that most black people come from Africa but also white people. I know African people who have the bluest eyes and whitest skin I have ever seen. I have even seen black people with green eyes so for those who think only Europeans can be "white with blonde hair and blue eyes" are so wrong.
11415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Eng Land
Offline
Posted 10/1/14 , edited 10/1/14
I've noticed stereotypes but never direct racism. A stereotype is a widely held but fixed and oversimplified image or idea of a particular type of person or thing. In terms of stereotypes, for example, every character from England will have blue eyes, blond hair, likely be snobbish, self-centered or uptight, dress in OTT posh clothing, drink tea, and have a stupid name like Elizabeth Ritzberg III. I challenge you to look into a crowd of a thousand people in England and find one person who fits all those specifications. Racism, however, is the belief that an entire race posesses a certain attribute/s which makes them inferior or superior to another race, and I don't recall the last time I saw that in an anime.

You might see a smart asian, or a black guy who's a criminal, but I don't recall a show trying to establish that said person is representative of their entire race. But who knows, maybe it's because I don't look for it in the first place that I don't find it. I think a lot of it's a matter of perspective. Take the roaches from Terraformars, when I saw them I thought 'Man that's pretty fuckin' weird and creepy' not 'Whoa, talk about a racist depiction of a pre-existing human-orientated race'. Generally I find if you look for something hard enough you'll find it, even if it's not the intention of the content creator. You could make a Barbie doll in a ballerina outfit that's not posable sound sexist as if it's trying to say 'women shouldn't engage in the activity just look pretty, hence why it can't move' rather than it maybe being a design choice due to the thing costing £50, and ending up in the hands of a young kid.
zirito 
21708 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/1/14 , edited 10/1/14

AlexMillian wrote:

Not only that but American culture tends to change things a lotl For example, the other day a friend showed me a comic book of a girl that had fairly dark skin. The American version she was "Americanized," where her skin was lighter.


What was the original non-Americanized version? what language, country, culture?
30773 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Fraxinus
Offline
Posted 10/1/14

Kanade_Yagami wrote:

This is from Baccano! where pretty much all the characters are of European descent and the stereotypical black person.

http://nicolecover.deviantart.com/art/BACCANO-characters-part-1-251486692


As a black person, I see very little stereotypical about him. Perhaps you're trying to hard to find something offensive in something with no offence at all. Damn near every black person has black hair and brown eyes, so you can't be talking about that. As for his nose and lips... well, I see little wrong there. I'd hardly call it stereotypical. If we're talking about stereotypical, what about the two blonde white European characters? I find them to be far more stereotypical than the black man.
30773 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Fraxinus
Offline
Posted 10/1/14 , edited 10/1/14

BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

I've noticed stereotypes but never direct racism. A stereotype is a widely held but fixed and oversimplified image or idea of a particular type of person or thing. In terms of stereotypes, for example, every character from England will have blue eyes, blond hair, likely be snobbish, self-centered or uptight, dress in OTT posh clothing, drink tea, and have a stupid name like Elizabeth Ritzberg III. I challenge you to look into a crowd of a thousand people in England and find one person who fits all those specifications. Racism, however, is the belief that an entire race posesses a certain attribute/s which makes them inferior or superior to another race, and I don't recall the last time I saw that in an anime.


Double posting because quoting from different pages... :p

I more or less agree with everything here. I have yet to actually see an anime that explicitly says an entire race is this, or an entire race is that AND discriminates them for it. I have, however seen the word "racism" thrown around by the community, as if it were a frisbee. Take the English character, for example. It's just easy to make them a posh and snobbish character with blue eyes and blonde hair because it makes it easier to identify them. That's the stereotypical English person so it's just easier to identify them as such. It's got nothing to do with saying every English person is just like that.
17181 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 10/1/14
Asian: I'm existing
Racist: your eyes are too fucking small
Asian: I'm going to draw myself with big eyes
Racist: your eyes are too fucking big

1264 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/1/14 , edited 10/1/14
You're all so incredibly dense that it baffles me.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.