I need help with my Kirito cosplay
4379 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / England
Offline
Posted 10/2/14
Right, so I'm going to MCM Comic con on the 25th, everything is sorted out apart from the elucidator...I can't figure out how to get it on my back, I tried some straps, but it makes the sword slant at a funny angle, i was thinking about getting some black strapping and putting it under the other strap (the one on the actual costume), but I'm not too sure about this, any suggestions?
64 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 10/5/14
My suggestion is based on you're not going to be too worried about the coat.

Find yourself a chest holster the same colour as your coat- this can be pricey but if you shop around you should be able to find one for a decent price. All you're really looking for is the leather straps.

Locate where on your back the sword will sit, and make two slits in the coat; feed the belt through these slits as well as the scabbard.

Because you can adjust the strapping without getting wrapped up in the coat, as well as it being directly on your core, the sword should sit right about where you want it without drooping or slanting.

Be sure to plan this through step by step, one screw up can cost you a perfectly good coat. Hope this helps.

4379 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / England
Offline
Posted 10/8/14

Soulstrum wrote:

My suggestion is based on you're not going to be too worried about the coat.

Find yourself a chest holster the same colour as your coat- this can be pricey but if you shop around you should be able to find one for a decent price. All you're really looking for is the leather straps.

Locate where on your back the sword will sit, and make two slits in the coat; feed the belt through these slits as well as the scabbard.

Because you can adjust the strapping without getting wrapped up in the coat, as well as it being directly on your core, the sword should sit right about where you want it without drooping or slanting.

Be sure to plan this through step by step, one screw up can cost you a perfectly good coat. Hope this helps.


Thanks for the reply, i don't particularly want to modify the coat (i'm not skilled at all with textiles,i will most likely screw it up ), I've got some black strapping and adhesive velcro tape, i tried loosely strapping it on my back, but it made it slant and i couldn't reach the sword, when i put it tight, it was fine, but i couldn't get the sword out of the sheath, should i just make it tight and if someone asks me to take the sword out, awkwardly take off the sword and unsheathe it?

Dragon
61859 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 10/8/14

McPiranha wrote:

Thanks for the reply, i don't particularly want to modify the coat (i'm not skilled at all with textiles,i will most likely screw it up ), I've got some black strapping and adhesive velcro tape, i tried loosely strapping it on my back, but it made it slant and i couldn't reach the sword, when i put it tight, it was fine, but i couldn't get the sword out of the sheath, should i just make it tight and if someone asks me to take the sword out, awkwardly take off the sword and unsheathe it?



Honestly, I'd go with the assistant approach if I were you. Make the strap look good and at the right angle, even if you can't draw it on your own. Drawing would look cool, but it's tough to pull off accurate shapes, angles, and poses already - actually drawing the sword is even more of a headache on top!

(Also, on a slightly more depressing note, you might not be allowed to draw the sword at all depending on the sword and the con you're at - I've never been to MCMCC, but many cons I've been to forced me to peace-bond my sword so that it couldn't be drawn from the sheath or scabbard while on the con floor So making it look great in the sheath would be my top priority if I were you, then you can do photo shoots outside after removing the peace bond with someone to help you out if needed)
4379 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / England
Offline
Posted 10/9/14

MakotoKamui wrote:


McPiranha wrote:

Thanks for the reply, i don't particularly want to modify the coat (i'm not skilled at all with textiles,i will most likely screw it up ), I've got some black strapping and adhesive velcro tape, i tried loosely strapping it on my back, but it made it slant and i couldn't reach the sword, when i put it tight, it was fine, but i couldn't get the sword out of the sheath, should i just make it tight and if someone asks me to take the sword out, awkwardly take off the sword and unsheathe it?



Honestly, I'd go with the assistant approach if I were you. Make the strap look good and at the right angle, even if you can't draw it on your own. Drawing would look cool, but it's tough to pull off accurate shapes, angles, and poses already - actually drawing the sword is even more of a headache on top!

(Also, on a slightly more depressing note, you might not be allowed to draw the sword at all depending on the sword and the con you're at - I've never been to MCMCC, but many cons I've been to forced me to peace-bond my sword so that it couldn't be drawn from the sheath or scabbard while on the con floor So making it look great in the sheath would be my top priority if I were you, then you can do photo shoots outside after removing the peace bond with someone to help you out if needed)

I managed to kinda do it, i can take it out of the sheath no problem, but putting it back is a bit awkward, i have to guide it in with my other hand, it looks good though :D
(and the only way the straps would stay together is sellotape, the adhesive kept coming off and i had a feeling i'd damage the sword even further).

I got the rules from MCM Comic con site "Wooden and otherwise solid melee weapons (excluding bats and paddles which are banned
as noted in the 'Mundane Items' section) are allowed but you must take steps to ensure you
keep hold of it and take extra care in crowds.", I can unsheathe it, but i have to be careful not to take someones eye out...might be a bit hard to do, i'm not that good with being aware of people around me xD
Dragon
61859 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 10/9/14

McPiranha wrote:

I got the rules from MCM Comic con site "Wooden and otherwise solid melee weapons (excluding bats and paddles which are banned
as noted in the 'Mundane Items' section) are allowed but you must take steps to ensure you
keep hold of it and take extra care in crowds.", I can unsheathe it, but i have to be careful not to take someones eye out...might be a bit hard to do, i'm not that good with being aware of people around me xD


Ahh, fantastic! Drawing the sword looks cooler than sheathing it anyway Be sure to post some pics from when you're there!

And.. do be careful... save the eyeballs...
4379 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / England
Offline
Posted 10/9/14

MakotoKamui wrote:


McPiranha wrote:

I got the rules from MCM Comic con site "Wooden and otherwise solid melee weapons (excluding bats and paddles which are banned
as noted in the 'Mundane Items' section) are allowed but you must take steps to ensure you
keep hold of it and take extra care in crowds.", I can unsheathe it, but i have to be careful not to take someones eye out...might be a bit hard to do, i'm not that good with being aware of people around me xD


Ahh, fantastic! Drawing the sword looks cooler than sheathing it anyway Be sure to post some pics from when you're there!

And.. do be careful... save the eyeballs...

Will do, thanks :D

4379 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / England
Offline
Posted 10/31/14
I almost forgot about the pictures (or picture, my phone is more or less broken, so i only managed to get one picture :/ )

i couldn't get the boots in time, so I wore my black trainers with white laces, with the sword...that fell off my back after 5 minutes being there xD all in all, it was an awesome day
Dragon
61859 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 11/1/14
Nice job!! Aw, and a shame about the boots and sword falling off.. but in the end, having fun is what really counts
4379 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / England
Offline
Posted 11/1/14
Yeah, i'm defiantly going next year, this time, i'm sewing on the straps instead of using adhesive velcro tape xD
15 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 10/29/15
Where are you get the kriito costume? you need ask the merchant, maybe the size is wrong. I want to buy SAO Kirito costume from https://www.animecosplaysale.com/sword-art-online-kirigaya-kazuto-kirito-cosplay-costume.html There is no size for me and the customize time need 7 days. So clould you tell me where are you buy from?
Sailor Candy Moderator
214159 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28
Offline
Posted 1/5/17
Forum Clean up. Old 2015 threads Locked.
You must be logged in to post.