war relics
30236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
It doesn't matter.
Offline
Posted 10/5/14
Should artifacts from war belonging to notorious groups be banned or destroyed?

I don't think they should.
I think they should be locked in a museum to prevent history being denied.
8351 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/5/14
What sort of artefacts do you mean exactly?
30236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
It doesn't matter.
Offline
Posted 10/6/14

Iconodule wrote:

What sort of artefacts do you mean exactly?


Anything associated with what is currently illegal activity.
35035 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 10/6/14
Wouldn't a law like that require that historical sites like Auschwitz and Buchenwald be torn to the ground? That doesn't seem like something we should do, and for just the reason you say: it would take away important evidence of events we cannot afford to forget.
17879 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / In
Offline
Posted 10/6/14
I think what the OP is getting at is the ban on any Nazi memorabilia in Germany or France by law. Unless it's for educational reasons ie in a museum
35035 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 10/6/14

uncletim wrote:

I think what the OP is getting at is the ban on any Nazi memorabilia in Germany or France by law. Unless it's for educational reasons ie in a museum


I might be overcomplicating things, but I'm not sure why he would answer "no" and insist that such pieces belong in museums if his hypothetical situation already allowed for that.
17879 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / In
Offline
Posted 10/6/14

BlueOni wrote:


uncletim wrote:

I think what the OP is getting at is the ban on any Nazi memorabilia in Germany or France by law. Unless it's for educational reasons ie in a museum


I might be overcomplicating things, but I'm not sure why he would answer "no" and insist that such pieces belong in museums if his hypothetical situation already allowed for that.

well that is the only case I know of unless your talking about Canada's ban on Neo-Nazi propaganda. Being printed or sold with in it's boarders
30236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
It doesn't matter.
Offline
Posted 10/7/14
I wasn't talking about neo-anything. There's no history there, only propaganda.
Germany isn't the only place with bad history and some countries avoid teaching the new generations about their past.
35035 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 10/8/14

Sir_jamesalot wrote:

I wasn't talking about neo-anything. There's no history there, only propaganda.
Germany isn't the only place with bad history and some countries avoid teaching the new generations about their past.


Right, it's both reckless and irresponsible to perform a damnatio memoriae on individuals or groups with an unpleasant history. People need to know about Nanking, they need to know about Buchenwald, they need to know about Apartheid, they need to know about slave trade, and so on. They need to know these things or else brutes like Golden Dawn and the Sweden Democrats will have nothing standing in their way.
30236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
It doesn't matter.
Offline
Posted 10/8/14
I don't think knowledge will prevent anything from repeating, if someone want to be evil it's because it's in human nature to be this way.
I want history to hold people accountable for it's own sake.
17879 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / In
Offline
Posted 10/9/14

Sir_jamesalot wrote:

I don't think knowledge will prevent anything from repeating, if someone want to be evil it's because it's in human nature to be this way.
I want history to hold people accountable for it's own sake.


You just contradicted yourself. Knowledge of history is what holds people accountable. If you don't have knowledge of a event how could you possibly hold anyone or anything accountable.

Certain governments choose to limit control of certain items to prevent certain groups from twisting or distorting history for their own needs. This is done on their part to try to keep the truth of history as pure as possible

30236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
It doesn't matter.
Offline
Posted 10/9/14 , edited 10/9/14

uncletim wrote:


Sir_jamesalot wrote:

I don't think knowledge will prevent anything from repeating, if someone want to be evil it's because it's in human nature to be this way.
I want history to hold people accountable for it's own sake.


You just contradicted yourself. Knowledge of history is what holds people accountable. If you don't have knowledge of a event how could you possibly hold anyone or anything accountable.

Certain governments choose to limit control of certain items to prevent certain groups from twisting or distorting history for their own needs. This is done on their part to try to keep the truth of history as pure as possible



I don't see the contradiction.

knowledge holds people accountable
the point of keeping records is to know who did what and no more.

people act and get stopped
some one else acts based on what they read about the last group
then gets stopped. rinse and repeat
27250 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 10/11/14 , edited 10/11/14
Destruction of historical relics should hardly ever be justifiable. After all, the purpose of preserving them is to remember the era from which they came. You destroy them and wipe the records, and the weight of that era will be forgotten more quickly.

Relics ought to be kept safe so future generations can see them and have something with which to understand their history. Destroying relics accomplishes nothing and seems to me like just some suspicious attempt to keep people from knowing something. The era is over, so there should be nothing more to hide.

I would only condone the destruction of historical relics if it is necessitated by some sort of threat to the safety of people. But, as you can imagine, those instances are probably pretty rare.
You must be logged in to post.