First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply Anime on Netflix
36990 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Bellingham WA, USA
Offline
Posted 11/2/14

TheAncientOne wrote:


Balzack wrote:

I just wish they had a better system for subtitles. Having to activate subtitles on my whole account just to watch anime is sort of a pain in the ass. And the opaque black boxes around the letters are really rather annoying.

What are you watching on? I don't get opaque black boxes around the subtitles on my Roku. I also don't get subtitles on anything that has an English language track, like US TV shows. It appears you may have activated closed captions instead.



Yeah it's on my Roku. When I go to watch something with the Japanese language track there aren't any subtitles enabled by default so my only option is to go to "Audio and Subtitles" and enable the English subtitles. It does seem to be tied to closed captions since turning it on for one program will enable them for everything else I watch regardless of the language track.

I did just test it out on my browser and you're right, subtitles are playing normally by default and not with a black bar. Are you using a Roku 3 predominately? Since it has a different Netflix app maybe that's why we aren't seeing the same thing. Though I'd be thrilled if it's a case of me just doing something wrong since it's pretty annoying.
The Wise Wizard
100969 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 11/2/14

Balzack wrote:

I did just test it out on my browser and you're right, subtitles are playing normally by default and not with a black bar. Are you using a Roku 3 predominately? Since it has a different Netflix app maybe that's why we aren't seeing the same thing. Though I'd be thrilled if it's a case of me just doing something wrong since it's pretty annoying.

Yes, I'm using a Roku 3.

I used to have a Roku XD|S, and to my disappointment, found that not only did it not support subtitles for Netflix, but at least at the time, Netflix seemed to default to the Japanese audio track for anime that had both Japanese and English audio.

I don't have any experience with the Roku 2 or other units that lie below the 3, but came after the generation my XD|S was part of.

13397 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Sibyl System
Offline
Posted 11/2/14

Balzack wrote:

Netflix seems to be getting more serious about their anime catalog. Taking a chance on stuff like Kotoura-San kind of speaks volumes.

I just wish they had a better system for subtitles. Having to activate subtitles on my whole account just to watch anime is sort of a pain in the ass. And the opaque black boxes around the letters are really rather annoying.


I feel the same way. And sometimes their subtitles won't match or they will freeze. Maybe that's just network issues for me...but they should improve their Subtitles. Although, by activate subtitles on the whole account do you mean when you change it to subtitles on and then you go to watch something else and subtitles are still on? (I use a Roku HD)

First Season of Psycho-Pass is also available on Netflix.
jree78 
71296 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Houston, TX
Online
Posted 11/4/14
The subs are exactly the same as Crunchyroll's, I guess cr got rights to put shows on Netflix for some shows.
21827 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / New Jersey
Offline
Posted 11/4/14

Kikiest wrote:


Balzack wrote:

Netflix seems to be getting more serious about their anime catalog. Taking a chance on stuff like Kotoura-San kind of speaks volumes.

I just wish they had a better system for subtitles. Having to activate subtitles on my whole account just to watch anime is sort of a pain in the ass. And the opaque black boxes around the letters are really rather annoying.


I feel the same way. And sometimes their subtitles won't match or they will freeze. Maybe that's just network issues for me...but they should improve their Subtitles. Although, by activate subtitles on the whole account do you mean when you change it to subtitles on and then you go to watch something else and subtitles are still on? (I use a Roku HD)

First Season of Psycho-Pass is also available on Netflix.


Netflix uses soft subtitles, which means they aren't embedded in the video. You can customize how the subtitles are viewed depending on your device. Check this Netflix Help article for more info.

I myself am having issues with the latest Apple TV update where specific anime on Netflix (Knights of Sidonia, Psycho-Pass and the expired Samurai Champloo) will only allow me to choose English SDH or no subtitles. The English Subtitle option is hidden.
20388 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Ireland
Offline
Posted 11/4/14 , edited 11/4/14
Looks like a bunch of new stuff has been added (UK/IRL)
- Sword Art Online | Season 1
- Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood | Full series
- Yu Gi Oh | Ep 1- 49
- Fairy Tail | Ep 1- 48
- Magi | Season 1 and 2
- Steins Gate | Full series
763 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 11/4/14 , edited 11/8/14
I don't like watching anime on netflix the only anime I've ever watched on netflix is Attack on titan, Blue exorcist, hunter x hunter, and Kaze no stigma.
The Wise Wizard
100969 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 11/8/14 , edited 11/8/14
What we have this time isn't really an addition, but a division. I'll let the (current) first review speak for itself:

they split the series: this was previously what was listed as season 2. season 1 was great, was dubbed, and didn't have large white bars/boxes across the screen during the brief bits of nudity...this is not as good, is subtitled, and for some reason oddly censored.

Splitting it makes sense as Vibration doesn't have a dub yet (not even for EV subscribers on Funimation's own site).

Netflix getting the censored "simulcast" version of anything seems rather strange, especially considering Funimation clearly has an uncensored version available (as viewing about 5 minutes into the second episode for EV subscribers confirmed).
42532 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 11/8/14

Eiby wrote:

Looks like a bunch of new stuff has been added (UK/IRL)
- Sword Art Online | Season 1
- Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood | Full series
- Yu Gi Oh | Ep 1- 49
- Fairy Tail | Ep 1- 48
- Magi | Season 1 and 2
- Steins Gate | Full series


No way!
9605 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F
Offline
Posted 11/8/14

Eiby wrote:

Looks like a bunch of new stuff has been added (UK/IRL)
- Sword Art Online | Season 1
- Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood | Full series
- Yu Gi Oh | Ep 1- 49
- Fairy Tail | Ep 1- 48
- Magi | Season 1 and 2
- Steins Gate | Full series


Is Magi only available in Ireland?
20388 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Ireland
Offline
Posted 11/8/14

ohkillua wrote:
Is Magi only available in Ireland?

I'm just after checking and Magi seems to have vanished. Apparently it was removed after 5 days for no reason so maybe there's issues with the licensing.
2408 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Vancouver Canada
Offline
Posted 11/8/14
Only ever watched Desert Punk and Black Butler on Netflix, I mainly use Netflix to watch foreign films/TV series.
68395 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 11/8/14

ohkillua wrote:


Eiby wrote:

Looks like a bunch of new stuff has been added (UK/IRL)
- Sword Art Online | Season 1
- Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood | Full series
- Yu Gi Oh | Ep 1- 49
- Fairy Tail | Ep 1- 48
- Magi | Season 1 and 2
- Steins Gate | Full series


Is Magi only available in Ireland?


Magi is available on US/CAN netflix as well. Only season1 has a dub, season 2 is sub only.
The Wise Wizard
100969 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 11/15/14 , edited 11/19/14
Aniplex added The Irregular at Magic High School to Netflix today (Saturday, November 15, 2014).

At least that is that date per InstantWatcher, but if the past is any indication, most people were likely able to find it there by Friday evening.


UPDATE 11/19/2014:

A couple of Ikki Tousen titles from Funimation added, both with the option of sub or dub.
22215 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M
Offline
Posted 11/19/14
Wait Irregular has been added? Holy crap Netflix is getting better and better
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.