First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
Post Reply Political party
1202 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Canada
Offline
Posted 10/22/14
NDP federally, WildRose provincially.

Why? They aren't old boy's clubs whining about pension, old age security, etc about the gen that calls mine entitled.
17096 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Los Angeles
Offline
Posted 10/22/14

Raimu4 wrote:

I gave up on this country a long time ago.


How I feel.
5066 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 10/22/14
Follow the money trail, although that's a little difficult to do now. Who owns your politicians matters more than who they say they are for.
5107 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Midwestern United...
Offline
Posted 10/22/14
I am a bit perplexed by the idea that you have to vote your party. Are there people that insist upon such things? Absolutely; we call them fools.

I vote for the best candidate. I don't know which is a bigger problem for the United States of America: the apathetic who don't vote, the uninformed voters who vote based on emotion and sound-bytes or the blindly party loyal that tend to keep the worst examples of either party in power. I just know that all three are terrible things.
14468 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Houma
Offline
Posted 10/22/14 , edited 10/22/14

KamisamanoOtaku wrote:

I am a bit perplexed by the idea that you have to vote your party. Are there people that insist upon such things? Absolutely; we call them fools.

I vote for the best candidate. I don't know which is a bigger problem for the United States of America: the apathetic who don't vote, the uninformed voters who vote based on emotion and sound-bytes or the blindly party loyal that tend to keep the worst examples of either party in power. I just know that all three are terrible things.


I think the least threatening of that group would be the one's who abstain... they are usually uninformed and will not burden us with their more random voting or one-sided party voting.

The people who are easily susceptible to advertising and deception are the reason that the candidates with the most spending usually win. Take away the competitive edge that corporate funding gives and the corruption will go into remission. Equally to blame are the blindly party loyal who also tend to be uninformed.

Indeed the true problem of our country is ignorance.

Going back to my funding cap idea earlier... perhaps we should have a total funding cap and individual entity or industry funding cap of say no more than 10% of the total cap.
9522 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Fort Myer
Offline
Posted 10/22/14
Republican.
5066 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 10/22/14



(Snipped)

Going back to my funding cap idea earlier... perhaps we should have a total funding cap and individual entity or industry funding cap of say no more than 10% of the total cap.


The election process in America is a hot mess, it's gonna take a miracle to set it right. I'm all for campaign finance reform, but it's gonna take a constitutional amendment to make that happen. I think we're all better off playing the lottery than counting on that to happen.
5107 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Midwestern United...
Offline
Posted 10/22/14

GreatLordBalzak wrote:


KamisamanoOtaku wrote:

I am a bit perplexed by the idea that you have to vote your party. Are there people that insist upon such things? Absolutely; we call them fools.

I vote for the best candidate. I don't know which is a bigger problem for the United States of America: the apathetic who don't vote, the uninformed voters who vote based on emotion and sound-bytes or the blindly party loyal that tend to keep the worst examples of either party in power. I just know that all three are terrible things.


I think the least threatening of that group would be the one's who abstain... they are usually uninformed and will not burden us with their more random voting or one-sided party voting.

The people who are easily susceptible to advertising and deception are the reason that the candidates with the most spending usually win. Take away the competitive edge that corporate funding gives and the corruption will go into remission. Equally to blame are the blindly party loyal who also tend to be uninformed.

Indeed the true problem of our country is ignorance.


The catch is why are we restricting the freedom of others simply because some people aren't using due diligence?

The reason so much money is involved is because with an apathetic, uninformed public unsubstantiated claims are a gold mine... of votes. I don't like passing laws to forbid someone from using their property how they see fit to support a candidate, with the usual provisions (not violating the rights of others). Especially given that so far, attempts have backfired anyway; when you try to control these things, those with the money just find workarounds. Indeed the previous bit of campaign finance reform was supported by some of the big donor types... because they had loopholes in place and the funds to exploit it. Their less wealthy rivals as well as the common man? Not so much.

If people started taking this seriously, even half seriously, the ads might still be there but they'd largely be a waste of funds. I realize that the sheer volume of ads can take a toll, but not enough to make me want to meddle with something that sets such a precedent and can easily be turned around on me. To give you an idea though, in the 2012 election, the margin Mitt Romney lost by would easily have been offset he hadn't convince most of the Republican Party base - like me - not to vote for him. Romney won a lot of Independents, but actual Republicans either stayed home or voted for someone else. The money both candidates spent to get votes... didn't actually get all that much.
14468 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Houma
Offline
Posted 10/22/14 , edited 10/22/14

KamisamanoOtaku wrote:



The catch is why are we restricting the freedom of others simply because some people aren't using due diligence?

The reason so much money is involved is because with an apathetic, uninformed public unsubstantiated claims are a gold mine... of votes. I don't like passing laws to forbid someone from using their property how they see fit to support a candidate, with the usual provisions (not violating the rights of others). Especially given that so far, attempts have backfired anyway; when you try to control these things, those with the money just find workarounds. Indeed the previous bit of campaign finance reform was supported by some of the big donor types... because they had loopholes in place and the funds to exploit it. Their less wealthy rivals as well as the common man? Not so much.

If people started taking this seriously, even half seriously, the ads might still be there but they'd largely be a waste of funds. I realize that the sheer volume of ads can take a toll, but not enough to make me want to meddle with something that sets such a precedent and can easily be turned around on me. To give you an idea though, in the 2012 election, the margin Mitt Romney lost by would easily have been offset he hadn't convince most of the Republican Party base - like me - not to vote for him. Romney won a lot of Independents, but actual Republicans either stayed home or voted for someone else. The money both candidates spent to get votes... didn't actually get all that much.


The number 1 issue that can really cause the cap idea to backfire is indeed loopholes. They might disperse the money across several sources to obscure the centralized source and may even privately contribute. At the higher offices advertising does seem to have less effectiveness as most voters will actually research those candidates but regulatory and local government capture is where they get us. They take control from the bottom.

Even myself I don't have the diligence to research all candidates for all offices I can vote on but at the very least I believe more people should take their local elections more seriously. Perhaps it should be taken even more seriously than the President. I wish people who don't do the research would at least defer to someone they can trust and consider their opinions.

In general a smarter population would be less likely to be deceived so I think more emphasis needs to be placed on learning how the Govt works and Economics. In my high school those were combined into a single course.... it was woefully inadequate at best...



51433 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 10/22/14
What this country needs is an Independent president who doesn't take bribes from the billionaires playing real life monopoly and is willing to take action to help the regular citizens instead of openly helping the rich (republicans) or secretly helping the rich while pretending to help the poor (democrats). The electoral system is a joke. The popular vote doesn't determine who wins. It only exists to give people the illusion that they have a say in politics. Elections are just an auction and whoever has the most money wins. Only exception recently was Obama vs Romney. That one came down to who people hated the least. The worst part is that we can only choose between two clowns from identical parties. If you're not a wealthy democrat or a republican, you're forbidden from participating in any debate that matters, making third party candidates nonexistent. There should be a law that bans political parties or a law that prevents parties from having more than 10-15% of power in congress. That way we can at least have some diversity when voting. Also the electoral college should be illegal. It can select a president against the will of the public and their votes almost never align with the public's votes. The entire system needs to burn in hell before this nation can see any real change.

Viva la revolution!
5066 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 10/22/14

To give you an idea though, in the 2012 election, the margin Mitt Romney lost by would easily have been offset he hadn't convince most of the Republican Party base - like me - not to vote for him.


I'm surprised he made it through the party primary, considering the similarities between Romneycare and Obamacare. Like you said, voters don't pay attention. That's what politicians hope for when they run to the right/left during the primary, and the middle during the election. You don't need to look honest to get elected anyway, just less dishonest than the other guy.
14233 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / USA
Offline
Posted 10/22/14 , edited 10/22/14
Independent.

And anyone who doesn't engage in politics for any reason or "stays away from it," you're an idiot. Take your ass to North Korea.
72907 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Central KY.
Offline
Posted 10/22/14

Raimu4 wrote:

I gave up on this country a long time ago.


This, and We don't even live in the same Country it seems.
42457 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 10/22/14
I do not care about politics and voting. It gets old and boring for me.
63460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/22/14
My dog gets my vote as a write in. I at least know what this dog is about.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.