First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Does Crunchyroll have some kinda bad reputation with some anime fans?
4544 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / somewhere on mars
Offline
Posted 10/23/14
Well, whenever I mention to my friends that I watch anime on Crunchyroll, they usually same something like 'Don't you have to pay for that?'.. Hey, I'm a free user, but I watch anime on here because I'd rather watch it legally that pirate it. Even if I have to wait a week to get the latest episode.
Zodai 
11314 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 10/23/14 , edited 10/24/14

HuastecoOtaku wrote:

People don't like paying $6.95 a month. If you're a jobless teen I can see your point, but if you're just too cheap to spend that much you get no pity from me.
On another forum people were complaining that Crunchyroll doesn't do a good job with subtitles. They were complaining that sometimes the honorifics aren't included in the subtitles and that ruined the experience for them. Idiots...


Anyone who's been watching anime for long enough should be able to pick out the honorifics themselves. I understand there can be legitimate reasons to dislike legal sites, but this has to be a quite poorly thought out excuse.

Don't feel like typing out a whole response, but I had an urge to point that out.
28646 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 10/23/14 , edited 10/23/14
Idk where this "hardcore" anime thing comes from, it bugs me whenever I read it. And Crunchy supports the industry and we support them. Whats bad about that? And for people who have bad things to say about CR, they're just misinformed.

They are truly missing out, especially on the awesome forum here. =]
4153 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 10/23/14 , edited 10/23/14
to begin with i dont know anybody that knows crunchyroll

but i have seen on some forums that they dont like to "pay" because CR only has mainstream animes according to them and they rather watch them for free in another site.....

those guys piss me off
48597 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / AZ
Offline
Posted 10/23/14

Zodai wrote:


HuastecoOtaku wrote:

People don't like paying $6.95 a month. If you're a jobless teen I can see your point, but if you're just too cheap to spend that much you get no pity from me.
On another forum people were complaining that Crunchyroll doesn't do a good job with subtitles. They were complaining that sometimes the honorifics aren't included in the subtitles and that ruined the experience for them. Idiots...


Anyone who's been watching anime for long enough should be able to pick out the honorifics themselves. I understand there can be legitimate reasons to dislike legal sites, but this has to be a quite poorly thought out excuse.

Don't feel like typing out a whole response, but I had an urge to point that out.

I've been watching subbed anime for less than a year and I have already picked up the honorifics. Some people just want to find something to complain about.
28646 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 10/23/14

cheeto5000 wrote:


HuastecoOtaku wrote:

People don't like paying $6.95 a month. If you're a jobless teen I can see your point, but if you're just too cheap to spend that much you get no pity from me.
On another forum people were complaining that Crunchyroll doesn't do a good job with subtitles. They were complaining that sometimes the honorifics aren't included in the subtitles and that ruined the experience for them. Idiots...


Man do I get tired of hearing people complain like that.
1# Be glad that the shows are even getting a decent sub release
2#If it sucks so bad just learn conversational Japanese. It can be done in 6 months if you're just focusing on speaking and understanding with out learning to read and write it.*not the preferred method but it works"





Madman6510 wrote:

Crunchyroll's subs are usually "just OK", and the A/V quality from streaming sites in general (for everything, not just animu) typically isn't as good as you can get. If you have a hard-on for quality I can see the reason for ragging on CR. I use both so I kind of understand what they're getting at, but I still pay my subscription since it's the best (legit) service there is.


I agree with you both,"be glad that shows are being subbed" " Paying for legit service".

Back when I started anime, everything was Fan Subs in the 80s on vhs :p. Quality wasn't the best but it was what we got, and those people did subs for us to enjoy the anime, I could never complain about subs ever. Knowing all they went through for us. And I feel the same way about CR, They work hard to give us nice subs and are quick about it.
5727 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19
Offline
Posted 10/23/14
Not trying to offend you personally, but your friends seem like a bunch of bitter, rotten apples.

Of course the anime is pretty limited here. It's legally streamed, and licensing is tricky. But it sure beats illegal streaming. Besides; even though it's limited, there are still tons of titles to choose from.

I've probably only had two problems with the community, but they were easy to ignore. Or I find if I reply sarcastically, it might change the route of the conversation. Just surround yourself with the best people here, and you're golden.
Taroni 
56718 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / NS,Canada
Offline
Posted 10/23/14
I know you have the futaba forum I frequent has a strong based opinion of thinking crunchyroll being the worst thing that happen to anime when they complain about bad subbing. Hell i do it, but I know where I want to see the fixes, it's just a small annoyance for me. The way I see it if you can complain something is missing then you know it is, why does it matter? Unless you want a fandom of wapanese speakers.
1394 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / That place beyond...
Offline
Posted 10/23/14
Crunchyroll has lots of benefits comparing to other sites such as:
It's legal
It's not only a streaming site, but also you can have access to forums to discuss about different shows
If you want to pay go ahead if not I don't mind wait one more week to watch the new episode
Anime Pirate Sites sometimes have annoying publicity making those places very slow, and some times that publicity contains virus
We have contests
My point is that most people dislike change and CR is the future of legal anime in the internet

8108 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / F / Central oHIo
Offline
Posted 10/23/14 , edited 10/23/14
I am a fan of Fansubs... I think most of them are better quality than the "official subs", however I use Crunchyroll now and I enjoy it.

During the dawn of Crunchyroll, most of the fansub community looked down on the site. Even myself, I remember talking to my sister of a nice Dattebayo sub of Naruto that I would never use Crunchyroll. But over time this site has changed and evolved into the great service that it is today and I love it.

I still think the subs could be better, but Crunchy doesn't sub them, the content provider does (you can tell because after a while, you can tell the difference in the way different providers translate certain things). Crunchy can't do anything about the fact that official subs usually suck. But I've been watching anime for so long, I can understand just enough Japanese to fix a lot of inconsistencies in my head as I watch.

A lot of Crunchyroll haters are probably fansub enthusiasts who swore they'd never touch Crunchyroll back in 2006~ish and have never bothered to give it a second look, so they think it's the same site it used to be.

I love my Crunchy. Ask your friends why they hate it. If they can't give a reason then they probably just don't wanna give it a try out of stubborness. If they give you an answer, you might be able to come to an understanding with each other, or maybe even get them to give it a try. Who knows! ^_^
24637 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / California
Offline
Posted 10/23/14
Hm, somehow this was me and my friends a few years ago, when CR was legalized and I was a poor jobless college student.... $5-7 a month is big for someone who are jobless students. I tried watching at CR for free, but the ads annoyed me to the bottom of my heart, so I ended up paying. Although, I do know someone who isn't fond of CR because they didn't have other animes like Tokyo Ghoul, which was licensed by other company and the time delayed for the subs as well or I guess CR's library is small compared to those illegal streaming sites.

It's true that CRs subs are not always great, that sometimes I get confused, ie Gochuumon wa Usagi desu ka? Sharo's name is spelled this way in the 1st few episodes.
10560 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 10/23/14
Hmm, okay I agree with the unintelligent remake of "gay" as someone who uses Crunchyroll to watch anime on. It makes no sense or anything. The only reputation that I think would be the console player (I am speaking from the experience of the PS3) used to have a bit of trouble streaming. I used to get stuttering, or random freezing, or the app would have a weird error. I was frustrated to bits with it, but then it just got better and I rarely have any issues. This is because CR is actively trying to fix it now, and gives a lot of good updates. Also, you could only access 720 p resolution (but you can still get the 1080 p content by the computer, and plug it into your tv if you want) on the console.

When I look at Hulu, and funimation, I really dislike it a lot. Hulu's player is okay but the ads are just annoying. I don't get why funimations app is just so terrible (I don't use it for the ps3 though because it doesn't have one -- just for the tablet and android phone).

As in pirating, or streaming anime on sketchy websites is their deal. I personally like watching and getting stuff legally more since I want to support some of the animes that I really love. But at the end of the day, anime is still anime. Watching it on crunchyroll, or animeseason, doesn't change the experience UNLESS technical difficulties arises.

That's my 2 cents of it.
Posted 10/23/14
The site use to be completely free and have alot more series before it got "taken over" years ago not that that's the reason your friends could mean but I know that was the reason people began to dislike it before.

With the lack of subbers floating around the internet now and decent players on free sites these day, id love to know what sites your friends think are so much better then this.
19132 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/23/14
It has to do with CR being a paid service and being inferior in quality to something that can be free and in high quality.

There are plenty of fansub sites, some that are very good and some that put up weird subs.

Also, fansubs tend to be infinitely more visually attractive than CR subs.
Posted 10/23/14
Some people don't like it because crunchy roll has a somewhat shady history.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.